main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I think not. I think this is far more a case of: What did Bendis have left to do at Marvel? X-Men, Spider-Man, Avengers, Daredevil - he'd done it all, regardless of what you might think of a particular run. There was nothing left, no new challenges.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Mind you there's a difference in culture in America that causes a lot of confusion in the discussion:

A person from the inner city who knows people gunned down in robberies, gang shootings, or simply because they were in a dispute will have a very different view of guns than the people who use them for hunting culture or as sport.

3. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah once you write a run for every character you gotta do something different. Wonder if Johns will ever leave DC for that reason?

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I don't think so, well not for now, as Johns is guiding Rebirth.

He did do some Marvel work early on, including a very infamous Hank-Jan scene, so I suppose it could eventually happen.

5. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Wait THAT scene was Johns?

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  7. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Wow! Well I won't be able to look at any scene the Atom has in his books the same way again. Then again they sorta did that with him in JLI

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    13th Doctor Costume reveal:

[​IMG]

Not feeling it, tbh, but I said the same thing about Smith's outfit before Series 5 and now it's one of my favourites. TARDIS exterior has been modified, also.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    It seems appropriately childish and whimsical.

Albeit, I'm getting Rainbow Bright as an adult than Doctor.

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Needs more question marks.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm guessing
    the pattern on her shirt is meant to be a throwback to Tom Baker's Doctor's scarf.

13. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I was looking up Peeps dioramas and found this one. (source) The chocolate carbonite block made me laugh hard enough that I wanted to share. :) And I just realized Boba Fett is a Peeps chick facing downward with its beak decorated with piped candy melts to look like a T-visor.

[​IMG]

(Darth Peep is looking a little rough there, though.)

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    They left him in the oven too long.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, nobody's worn the high-pants-suspenders thing since Rainbow Brite was a thing. First Thor, now Doctor Who... is the 80s finally making a comeback? [face_praying]

16. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    My only issue with the new costume is I don't like how long the jacket is. Ten had the long trench coat as well and Smith's coat continued to grow as well. I am not against it but I was kinda hoping for something different, other wise I love it. The suspenders are perfect

17. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Yeah, see It and Stranger Things. Too bad Michael Bay ruined Transformers, and GIJoe by Sommers/Chu

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've been kind of avoiding the site lately because I'm not really in the mood for The Discourse, but I had to come out and comment on this: this is going to be a really hard swallow. I just cannot take suspenders remotely seriously.

19. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    Transformers is in the best place it's been in ever! In comics, though. Not the movies. Please God not the movies.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Finally finished Lost Stars. I can totally see why so many people love it. Not my favorite of the new EU but still very good character piece. Now I wanna re read empire's end after the Jakku stuff

21. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    Q.F. T. =D=

After SW, Transformers - I'm talking G1, with all its' flaws (and there were many, I'll be the first person to admit them) was arguably my biggest interest as a kid. (Well, until Marvel in the '90s, and that's a whole other kettle of mixed fish ... :p).

But IDW's revival? Overall, pretty good - not perfect, and somewhat controversial in spots (not necessarily bad controversial, but they've addressed some issues I find ... interesting for giant-robot-fighting stories to tackle) - but there's a coherent path forward and multidimensional characters.

Bayverse ... urgh. It really resparked mass interest in the franchise (true, there's Energon and its' related series, and Animated, which - just IMHO - was better than Energon, even if I can't
    really take the idea of Ultra Magnus being higher ranked than Optimus serious in ANY way ... :p

But quality? Characterization? Good taste? Yeeahhh ... not even a comparison. IDW's got all those in spades; Bayverse ... not so much.

EDIT: And Transformers: Prime! I almost forgot that - what Bayverse could've been ... minus Bay. :p

Like it or hate it, the overall arc of IDW - and the accompanying toy lines - have produced good-quality upgrades to practically every G1 character through the Generations line. (I'm not going to open the can of worms that is the "are they too hollow or not?" debate - this isn't a Transformers forum, after all :p).

And, having said that, I'll just bring it to a close ... but yeah. I'm eagerly looking forward to getting my hands on some Power of the Primes figures in December ... :D

Jedi Ben and Ewoklord like this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Any thougths on Transformers vs G.I.Joe?

23. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    Haven't read it yet, personally, but I've heard I ought to.

24. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    Well, I do like both the original and IDW versions; I was a kid when the Marvel Transformers versus G.I.Joe came out, and it worked for what it was (I've never really felt the toy tie-ins were overly politicized, nor should they be; Cobra's Cobra, and they need stepping on).

Unlike IDW's Decepticons, who are a perfect example of a revolution biting itself in the backside, and the overall direction of the 'verse post All Hail Megatron has dealt well with this, IMHO.

Also, to be fair, IDW's been laboring under the dictum to link as many of Hasbro's properties together as possible. Spoilers for those who haven't read, or haven't yet read, much of the IDW-'verse:

I think IDW's done a really good job with the task at hand - many of the links between the post-Revolution mini-series titles are based on various Cybertronian phenomena/actions, such as ROM and the other Spacekinights' "living metal" armors actually being one of Shockwave's experimental Regenesis ores, or Micronus Prime creating the Microverse, and the Micronauts as a result of that.

G.I. Joe's a BIT of an outlier, but not badly - Cobra's only got so much life in it, and revamping the Joes as first a response to, then peacekeeping partners with, the Cybertronians is a good mix of conflict and cooperation. (I still think Skywarp basically working as the Joes' teleportation taxi is a bit silly, but at least IU, it was a logical outgrowth of his power growing out of control.)

It still remains to be seen how well Transformers versus Visionaries goes - :p- but the end of the recent First Strike mini-series promises a big, planet-eating threat for 2018, so things are looking quite impressive ... :D

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]
    have no ide who originally made this

Ghost, starfish, CT-867-5309 and 7 others like this.