main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #38-43: The Ashes of Jedha (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 4, 2017.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Im surprised the guys getting shot at are not joking about the incompetent imperials.

2. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Interesting! I can't wait; this seems like what I was hoping for when the comic was first announced. Based off what we've seen, this can't be too far out from ANH though. I can't see the Empire waiting a long time to finish mining with the destruction of the Death Star and all. Also, the Partisans wouldn't have lasted long in the wasteland. But yay! More war stories! I enjoy that part of Star Wars and feel like expanding on the conflicts is a good use of the supplemental material. Also, love Leia, Luke, and Han as members of the Rebellion which we haven't seen much of in the NEU

3. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Those are fathiers; these look like the tall, camel creatures seen in Rogue One concept art (and I believe a couple can be seen in deep background being ridden by stormtroopers).

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  5. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    An odd start, and a typically Gillen story with its pastiche characters. The artwork is still bad in that it's hard to tell what's going on in some panels while the panel to panel the continuity is distractingly bad (eg, make up your mind whether a character is on the left or right side of another!) and there's no understanding of how shadows work.

I'll try my best to see past the art for the next issues.

tatooinesandworm and kalzeth like this.
  6. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I enjoyed it, personally, but I've always enjoyed Gillen's writing. I like the continuity; the idea that the Empire's started trying to gather Kyber Crystals for the Second Death Star already at this point, the interesting detail that Luke's had his first encounter with an adherent of the Disciples of the Whills. That shot of the ravaged Jedha was shocking. I mean... wow.

7. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    This isn't so much a spoiler, but I hate how this issue continues the new canon trend of making Leia a jerk and smack-talking Luke. Can someone just tell the writers that this routine is tiresome? It's really making me miss the more nuanced portrayal of Leia in the old Legends newspaper comics taking place in this timeframe.

revan772, SilentGuy66 and kalzeth like this.
  8. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    J_K_DART, Senpezeco and kalzeth like this.
  9. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I don't know if everyone already knows this but it was news to me...
    Two-tubes lives!

Senpezeco likes this.
  10. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Yes, I'm very excited to have more Benthic, but an update made to the Databank confirmed that Edrio died in the destruction of Jedha City. :( Poor Benny lost Eddie.

We once had two Two Tubes, now we only have one... something something Doublemint Gum.

Other bits I liked:

• The shot of Jedha and the expression "Jedha's tears".
    • More Decraniated creepiness on the last page! [face_skull]
    • How unimpressed and unperturbed Queen Trios is by Commander Kanchar. What a cartoonish brute.

11. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    The issue was good. Nothing groundbreaking but a solid start. However I really HATE the face drawings...

12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I haven't read the issue yet, but
    is there any particularly strong reason why a Brother of the Beatific Countenance couldn't be a Disciple of the Whills? My copy of the R1VG is not available at the moment but the Wook entries for the two organizations didn't imply to me that they're mutually exclusive. Admittedly the Brotherhood requires a vow of silence, so my theory goes down in flames if that character has dialogue - I'll find out in a couple hours when I can get over to my FLCS.

13. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I didn't find Leia to be mean in that one compared to the Screaming Citadel.
    Favorite moment was that show of Jedha which reminded me of Concord Dawn in Rebels and learning more about the Disciple of the Whills. Oh and seeing Queen Trios again I liked the little jab at the end. Gillen seems to have a thing for villains with prosthetic limbs (e.g. Karbin). The only real flaw I saw in this issue is the art especially the faces which is disappointing because this has a good story that is almost ruined because of its art. I'm begging you Marvel, please give Larroca more time because he can do so much better.

14. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    How can I show support for the comic and the author, and respectfully express my displeasure with the artist?

The story is great and I am hooked. I want to keep reading the monthly books. But I hate the art. Almost to the point I want to not buy it.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

15. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
  16. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    I️ actually dont love the story but I️ have the same feeling. I️ want them to know I️ want more stories but don’t like the actual story. I️ keep just rating as 2 or 3 stars in the app when I️ don’t like the story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    This art is... weird
    [​IMG]

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, they're still going for that weird photo-realism angle?

That's sad to hear.

19. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Since I am not overly concerned about art and focus more on the story this issue definitely brought a breath of fresh air into this series. Gillen says as much in one issue as Aaron often did throughout the course of an entire arc. Interested to see how developed these new characters become that the Rebels picked up. I'm sure Gillen is going to try to create an original character that gets as much screen time as the main cast does like he did with Aphra.

J_K_DART and tatooinesandworm like this.
  20. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    So...just bring in Aphra? ;)

21. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I'm sure he plans on doing that eventually but obviously that can't happen yet given that she is in the middle of her own series right now. Obviously the Aphra series won't last forever though and she definitely won't be dropped as a character once her series is over. I imagine around issue #50 (or shortly after) Aphra will be brought into this series as a main character.

J_K_DART and tatooinesandworm like this.
  22. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001

I agree, I've enjoyed a lot of the Marvel comics (especially the artwork and seeing the Big Three all together) but Leia is often wildly out of character. She's feisty, but that doesn't mean she treats her friends like dirt and puts them down. I really miss seeing the multi faceted Leia of Razor's Edge and Zahn's book between ANH and ESB where she's still got her edge but deeply cares about Luke and Han and treats them as one would their close friends.

Landb, J_K_DART, revan772 and 3 others like this.
  23. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    I really found Leia to be more in line with the films in this issue. And Han gives it back to her with some comments as well, instead of the kicked dog he has been for this run under Aaron.

La Calavera likes this.
  24. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Why on Malachor does
    the Imperial Commander look like a kriffing Klingon?

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  25. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    When larrocca traces shapes, he just does the general outline. So the head would just be a generic round head. Then the colorist goes in and puts way too much detail to blend with the generic outline. This causes a massive disparity in the art and causes funny things to happen like you noticed. The eyepatch due to being generic, doesn’t follow any curvature of the face because larrocca didn’t plan for any detail. This makes the “wrinkles” the colorist added look more like “ridges”, and thus we get a Trek/Wars crossover.

J_K_DART likes this.