main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #38-43: The Ashes of Jedha (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 4, 2017.

1. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I actually don’t have an issue Leia here. In some way, she reminded me of Padme, with her “diplomacy will work!” self-assurance.

The only part that slightly bothered me a bit is:
    Han saying he has been running away from the Empire long before Leia learned how to walk. I don’t usually think about their ages – in fact, I never thought the characters were even aware of their age gap since Leia always behaved too mature for her age, and there is nothing wrong with it, it's just when Han makes a point about that, it suddenly becomes a little creepy that is persistently trying to get Leia to sleep with him while being very consciously aware of that gap.

I guess I just wished that was worded a little differently.
    As for the rest of the issue, it was nice, but too much of a setup, and I have yet to see where this goes. I already knew that one character survived Jedha, but it was still nice to see him having a role here.

The art does look particularly ugly here, in a way that even surprises me because I’m usually more okay with Larroca than other posters here. I think the coloring/shading is making it worse.

Also,
    I’m glad Queen Trios is back! :D

2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It's not just the wrinkles, though, it's more the chevron-shaped marks on his forehead. And also, isn't there something wrong wih his neck here? I'm pretty sure it isn't properly aligned with his shoulders and torso.
    [​IMG]

J_K_DART and tatooinesandworm like this.
  3. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I haven't been happy with the characterizations of the big three in this series and I've said that many times. Luke shows little loyalty to the Rebellion and does insanely stupid stuff like loudly declare in a bar at the Smuggler's Moon that he wants to go the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. Han is an unlikable jackass without the charm who does stuff like gamble away the Rebellion's money and NOT make it back at the end. Leia, when she's not treating Luke like crap, is given out of character "we don't kill" superhero speeches. While Leia is a politician and diplomat, she's someone who is going to get very aggressive when the situations breaks down. The characterizations have been very disappointing and you still see a touch of that with Leia in this issue.

That being said, I liked this story and how grim the setting is for it. The battle for Jedha continues as the planet is literally splintered and dying. Liked the return of Queen Trios too. And Two Tubes as well! There's not exactly many characters you can use from Rogue One for this story.

J_K_DART and SilentGuy66 like this.
  4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Benthic or Edrio?

5. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I can only remember one such "we don't kill"-speech in the Rebel Jail arc and in context, she just said that the Rebellion doesn't kill unarmed prisoners. I'm not sure why this is considered "superhero"-like or "out of character".

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

J_K_DART likes this.
  6. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Not properly aligned with his shoulders? No way, I'm so surprised that we'd see that with this artist! :p

I rather dislike that design. It's the kind of character that would only ever exist in a comic.

7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    It will be interesting to see how much info Luke and Leia ever get about Jyn as there isn't really anybody alive anymore that could say that much about her. Obviously none of the Rogue One crew is alive any longer and I don't think many (if any) of the partisans are alive at this point either that may have known her (I believe this takes place after the events of that Inferno Squad novel that had a couple partisans from the Rebel Rising book in it).

Basically I think the only solid info about the RO movie characters Luke and co would be able to take would be the Rogue One moniker.

8. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Hasn't Gillen said that Luke would learn about the Rogue One members and their sacrifice in thus arc?

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

9. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The insistence that the Big Three are always "out of character" in this comic makes me wonder if sometimes people forget how close to ANH we still are and what these characters were like then. Han is still fighting the do-gooder side of his nature, Luke is still naive, and Leia is still hot-headed with zero toleance for shenanigans. We haven't even reached ESB yet, and I think Jason Aaron always did a good job of reflecting that in the characterizations.

10. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Benthic. For anyone who has trouble telling them apart, here's how:

Benthic (left) has a long coat and a small canister strapped near one shoulder, while Edrio (right) has a chest control box:

[​IMG]

Benthic also carries larger canisters containing improvised explosives on his back:

[​IMG]

You can tell it's Benthic at the end of #38 and on the cover of #39 because of the shoulder canister. Also, as I posted on the previous page, the Databank confirmed that Edrio died in the destruction of Jedha City, so he wouldn't be the Tognath up and talking in this issue.

Revanfan1 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  11. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    In "A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy" Luke doesn't understand why Han keep calling him "kid" when he isn't too older than him. It make me think Han likes to act older than he really is. I think Lucasfilm will not make their age gap too big as Harrison Ford is to Carrie Fisher because of the canon romance between Han and Leia (Felicity Jones was 10 years older than Jyn so Ford can be older than Han)

J_K_DART and Daneira like this.
  12. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001

We shouldn't expect Leia to be like ROTJ Leia, but I'm tired of seeing her be physically violent to Han. Does anyone think that would be tolerated if it were the other way around? So far she's kicked him twice, thrown soup at him, slugged him in the face, and thrown wine in his face. None of that seems in character - she's got a sharp tongue but she's never resorted to physical violence in the movies. I get that it's a comic and it's easier to show physical acts than banter - but it's not funny or cute, it's bordering on abuse and OOC. (Not okay with Han trying to run her over with a speeder in one of the issues either).

I liked Han's characterization in the Han Solo comic by Marjorie as still his scoundrel self but struggling over his feelings to Leia being the main reason he's staying with Rebellion. The only thing I really disagree with is over is how he's constantly swindling people as I never got the impression that was a thing he regularly did in ANH - it sounded like the Jabba thing was a situation where he had to dump the spice or be taken in by Imperials, not something he was doing a regular basis. It also looks worse with TFA where he's back to swindling everyone in the galaxy like it was some kind of inherent trait in him.

I wouldn't take Han's line about running from the Imperials longer than Leia's been walking literally, although I do have to say with the Harrison/Carrie affair revelations, a 30 some year old Han hitting on a 19 year old teenage Leia does seem more skeevy than it used to.

13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I wouldn't let it bother you. For starters we can probably say enough time has passed now that she would most likely be 20 by this point. Also Han is a scoundrel and those would be the type of relationships you would expect a scoundrel to get involved in. Heck a lot of normal people get involved in those types of relationships as well but they just generally keep those kinds of things behind closed doors in most cases.

And in regards to Harrison and Carrie it's hard to say how much hyperbole Carrie put in her claims so we really don't know what happened between them.

14. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Plus Leia being horrible to Luke threatening to leave him in Tatooine in the last arc when in ANH she made a connection with him. I really miss this Leia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] (Han running lmao)

PS: I don't feel comfortable about Carrie/Harrison stuff sorry :(

15. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    This really summarizes in a good way why many of us don't like the new canon. Despite what some say, it has very little to do with wanting Legends back for the sake of it, etc. It's because the new canon is just outright bad in many ways so far, especially in terms of characterization, and the butchering of Han and Leia's characters as summarized here is a very good example.

16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    In regards to how Leia treats people I don't think we should assume that just because we saw her act a particular way during a two hour movie that that is how she always acts or it would be out of character for her to act any differently than that at times. We also need to remember that that scene you posted above Jedi Jessy was after they were celebrating victories (first one when they realized they weren't going to get crushed to death after all and second one after the Death Star was destroyed) so they naturally are going to be hugging and smiling just because of that.

There is a difference between truly being out of character and just being out of character from the things many of us have created in our minds of what they should be like.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  17. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    In others moments she was kind to Luke
    [​IMG]

18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Ironically people were trashing Anakin's characterization in the prequel movies as whiny etc when those movies covered literally the worst days of his life, and some to this day insist that TCW Anakin is a different character rather than the same character acting as he would on his "normal" days.

The new canon Leia thing is really bad. The only thing I can think of to salvage her character is that she's really, in-universe, suffering extended trauma from her torture on the Death Star and the destruction of her homeworld and this hasn't gotten the in-universe professional attention it needs. Maybe there can be a story where Leia gets counseling, apologizes to Han and Luke, and then gets her back in line to a more relatable characterization.

What sickened me in the Princess Leia new canon miniseries comic book was that this scene was undone when Luke brought it up--she said "Are you going to make me regret it?" (regarding her comforting him). I was like :eek:

unicorn, revan772 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Fair enough. But does that mean she always needs to act that way? Real people have different sides to them so fictional characters within a movie franchise should have different sides to them as well.

sidv88 you might be forgetting that Leia was a real snot at times during ANH and ESB. I don't see how they have been characterizing her in these comics as being off at all. Just because she didn't throw anything at anybody during the movie doesn't mean she never did or never would. She is one of the leading members within a Rebellion. She should be aggressive like that at times.

20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    This isn't just any character. It sort of defies belief that this character would be so praised as a diplomat, etc. if we see her behaving so undiplomatically.

How does being a leading member of the Rebels mean you have to act like a jerk? That's Saw Gerrera style, not Mon Mothma style.

unicorn, spicer, Jedi Jessy and 3 others like this.
  21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    sidv88 we just need to remember that we are just getting to know this princess leia. The Leia from legends and the leia that we have developed in our imaginations so far aren't canon anylonger. Maybe things aren't lining up exactly the way we thought they should or would but there is nothing so wildly out there up to this point that has been done yet that we could consider it out of character for her. After all we are still learning about the canon Princess Leia. If this new Leia has a habit of getting somewhat physical at times with people it doesn't mean it is bad characterization. It just means that that is part of this new Leia's personality. This comic is pretty much the lone canon material we have so far for Princess Leia during this time period so it is laying the groundwork.

22. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Everything you say is technically true, but it doesn't feel like a natural extension of the character we got in the first 3 movies (who remember is supposed to be a diplomat).

What I'm experiencing here is like when I saw 'Batman v Superman' and seeing Batman shooting down people and trying to kill Superman without doing real detective work first. Yes, this may be the new iteration of the character approved by the corporation that owns the character, but I just feel there's a reason the old take was so well liked and changing something for the sake of it doesn't necessarily make it good.

23. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Well if she is still acting this way by the time these comics get to the point in the timeline to where ROTJ is nearing then there may be something there in regards to faulty characterization. But we are at most probably a year removed from Ep. IV and there is still plenty of time for her character to morph into what it was like in ROTJ. She was actually still a real snot at times even at the beginning of ESB and it wasn't until she really started to fall for Han that her character seemed to settle down quite a bit.

24. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I think part of the issue some people have with Leia's characterization may also be a lack of familiarity among today's fans with the "screwball comedies" of the 1930s and 1940s, which the Han / Leia relationship was explicitly intended to echo (and which Aaron made a special effort to capture). Looking at Leia throwing wine in Han's face, for instance, and seeing it as distasteful "violence" is a distinctly 2017-style interpretation of a distinctly 1930's sort of dynamic.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If that's the intent, then it's a disaster. It's not the 1930s anymore, its decades later and those ideas look considerably more dodgy.