main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Official "The Mandalorian" Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Corran1138, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
  2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It's live action isn't it? I hope so.

kalzeth likes this.
  3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  4. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Sounds like it to me.

5. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    A new show that isn't a CGI series? My dreams have been fulfilled!

6. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Hopefully it'll actually air on television and not be an exclusive device for the mouse to get subscribers for their own streaming service. Don't freak out over it being live action yet, the only information provided is that there will be a new series, and that it will be available on Disney's upcoming streaming service.

Darth Wookiee likes this.
  7. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I wonder if Dave Filoni will be involved. [face_thinking]

8. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015
    I tend to agree with you. I'd still pay for the streaming service, but I would really want to see a Live Action show on ABC.

I'd be shocked if Dave Filoni isn't involved in this in some way.

9. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    I think Star Trek: Discovery is a test-case for this kind of thing. If it does well, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney would use the same model.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  10. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    More Star Wars? Yes, please.

Jedi Daniel and kalzeth like this.
  11. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    WoW.......now I wonder how high the budget is going to be, and if Jedi will appear.

Perhaps they will borrow elements from Star Wars Underworld. Have it be dark times era, with a strong focus on criminals/non-force users. You could have the marketable Jedi appearance with a survivor of Order 66 trying to survive and stay hidden from the Empire. Keep it pre-Rebels, in a time before the Empire is facing growing resistance.

I would prefer live action story about clones/commandos during the clone wars or stories about Jedi before the War, but the price of a setting like that could be to expensive.

For now, star wars live action might be limited to a local setting without the massive cities of Coruscant.

whostheBossk and kalzeth like this.
  12. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Quinlan was setup to survive in the old canon due to live action tv show that never made it, maybe the new canon is doing something similar. *crosses every finger*

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Ooo, intriguing. Considering the timing of the announcement I have to wonder if it'll be closely related to Johnson's trilogy.
    Well from what I understand Disney wants their service to be a Netflix-equivalent, so I'd imagine that means this show would be exclusively available there (other than eventual Blu-ray/DVD release).

14. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Interesting to see what they do with this. I'd like to see some type of iteration of the Underworld series Lucas was developing.

Also, this service is going to be priced below Netflix. Hahaha, good one Bob. I call total BS on that. When I think of the low-cost choice, The Walt Disney Company is the first thing that comes to mind. All you need to do is go to Disney World to see that.

Alhazred and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. green_typewriter

green_typewriter Jedi Master star 1

May 5, 2004
    I guess most of us were hopefully thinking this might be one of their anchors when the network landed (myself included) so count myself in the "totally stoked and ready for all of it" column!!!

kalzeth likes this.
  16. Jacken_Skywalker

Jacken_Skywalker Jedi Master

Jul 9, 2011
    I wonder if this puts animation at risk? Or if it's possible we're going to get both animated and live-action at the same time. Keeping up with the canon is gonna be a full-time job soon enough (not that I'm complaining) ;)

17. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I think the animated side of Star Wars TV shows has run its course...for now. Filoni did mention recently he'd been watching Rian on TLJ and picking up techniques with live action. No doubt with Rebels finishing, Filoni will be involved.

18. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Except Dave is in charge of animation, so I can't see him abandoning that to do a live action show. Unless they make the animated/TV department the same and Dave spearheads both. He understands the TV format, so I'd like to see him helm this. But really, I think Dave is focusing on animation, as they've said they're not done with animation at Lucasfilm. And I'm glad, I'll love having both an animated series and live action series to watch.

19. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

mehhhhhhhhhhhhh

20. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    This is awesome news!!! Gotta admit I didn't think it would happen this quickly, I honestly thought they'd want to see how the streaming service fared first. Guess they're going all in to give it the best possible launch they can!

Really hope we get a KOTOR era show. Post-ST will likely be save for films (at least for now) so KOTOR seems like the obvious era to explore with a live action series. Hopefully they'll give this a decent budget to, I imagine that's one of the reasons this is going on the new streaming service rather than on ABC.

I'm not sure. Yes, I agree that Disney know how to charge, but they also got burned by their Disney Life streaming service here in the UK which they initially priced at more per month that Netflix's 4K price and it flopped, they ended up halving the price within the first 6 months. The big difference here is that was back catalogue whilst their new streaming service will have new content (like the live action Star Wars show) but at the same time they still have to price competitively, Netflix offers a much wider range of shows with far broader appeal that Disney likely will (and I say that as someone who's income mostly goes to the mouse after the essentials are covered). And this isn't just for Disney, WB are launching a DC comics based streaming service next year and other studios will likely do the same. They know people won't replace a catch all (Netflix) with multiple niche services if every niche service is the same price as the catch all was. Especially in the current economy. So I actually do believe Iger when he says it will cost less than Netflix.

kalzeth likes this.
  21. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Yes! Thank the Maker! I knew a Live Action Series would happen at some point. Glad that it has finally been Officially announced. :D

I just hope they don't go cheap on the budget. Since it will be an ongoing Series, they will obviously have to cut back on the amount of action, and make it more dialogue oriented. But there is no reason why they can't create movie quality SFX. They should follow the Game of Thrones model, and cut it down to 10 episodes; to allow for the best quality of Sets and Effects.

22. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Long shot, but if the series doesn't come out until 2020 then it could potentially be the further adventures of the ST heroes that Kathleen Kennedy mentioned last week. VERY unlikely as they would most likely be save for films but it's definitely a possibility.

23. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Hope that ideas of the unreleased Lucas live action series will be use now.

BigAl6ft6 and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  24. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015
    If they were to put a Live Action Series on ABC, do you guys think it could be a ratings monster? I think it could do really well.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  25. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I figured they'd eventually come circle around back to a live-action Star Wars series, and I assumed that whenever that was going to happen, that it probably would be positioned has a high-profile exclusive to some streaming service. What better streaming service than the one Disney itself is planning to launch?

I would be very curious to know what became of the many scripts that were written for Lucas' defunct live-action series (commonly referred to as "Underworld"). Were any of those scripts re-purposed for episodes of either Clone Wars or Rebels? Or, are they still sitting in the Lucasfilm vault? Could they be re-purposed for this new show? So many questions.

Many of you have commented that animated Star Wars has run its course for now; I sorta have that feeling, too, but I'm quite positive that is not the feeling Disney has. There will be much more animated Star Wars, much more, and that's probably what is on Filoni's plate right now.

whostheBossk and Baron_Papanerd like this.