main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Comics JTTLJ: The Legends of Luke Skywalker

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Apr 14, 2017.

1. Rogue Seven

Rogue Seven Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    Better tell that to Journey To TFA: Shattered Empire comic. ;) Major Clues AND Character connections there. But never mind eh?

2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    "Journey to..." is a marketing label and nothing more. The content may have a little to do with the associated film, a lot to do with it, or nothing at all to do with it. Focus on the content and don't read too much into the label either way. (Anyone remember how the story that tied the most into TFA during the "Journey to TFA" program didn't have that label attached to it at all - Jason Fry's The Secret Academy?)

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  3. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Personally, I think there were lots of hints and clues - even wrote a piece about it. https://moviepilot.com/p/legends-of-luke-skywalker-book-review/4419045

For me, the biggest is "Fishing in the Deluge," which contains dialogue that seems frankly prophetic given Luke's journey to Ahch-To. Sure, because these are legends you have to be really cautious about saying anything's set in stone, but this definitely gives us a sense of Luke's journey to the Jedi Temple.

JediMara77 likes this.
  4. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    The latest Star Wars Show has an animation depicting Luke taking down Star Destroyers as imagined by the imperial gunman in the Starship Graveyard.

TalonCard likes this.
  5. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    No?

If you're talking about Poe's parents that's not really a connection to TFA's story besides the fact that they are Poe's parents.

I was referring to how there are no major story clues like people initially expected there to be. There was nothing about Snoke, Kylo, the First Order, the Resistance, etc. The connections these books do have were always small and inconsequential. We didn't get any true game changing infor until Bloodline, which was not a "Journey to..." book.

6. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
  7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Can't y'all just, y'know, enjoy a story on its own merits? That's kinda the point after all. Sure it's nice when there's shared elements between various stories, but it's not a prerequisite in the slightest. Plus that's not how pulp fiction works; gone are the days of the old EU where every single thing was connected- now they've shifted focus to smaller stories that may or may not have a whole ton to do with other stories. Hell even Phasma only really connects to the films because it features a few of the same characters and adds a little bit of depth to one of the major organizations therein, but on the whole it's its own thing.

Stymi and Jedi Master Scorpio like this.
  9. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    If that comment was partially referring to me, I have read and thoroughly enjoyed pretty much every single new canon book that has been released (missing: Guardians of the Wills and Inferno Squad). I was just talking more of how people percieve these books and their supposed connections to the new films that are tenuous. I don't expect these books to have any big huge connections to the films and I don't like the "Journey to..." marketing, but I have hardly disliked any of the new canon so far.

The only one I haven't liked is Tarkin.

10. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I loved the old eu for that. LOE was a novel that tied in right into ROTS. That book still works for me. The Darth Plegeuis novel, Darth Maul, and the other book before TPM were also excellent tie ins. The best, very hard to replace at least for me in this life time. I enjoyed the new books, don't get me wrong, but, there are nothing like the tie ins to the prequel movies. Those books were good.

kalzeth and Force Smuggler like this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I was speaking in general, Button, though I suppose I was addressing Rogue 7 more than anyone else.
    That's all any of it really is, though- marketing. Sure, TPTB want to push out stories, but it's also sell, sell, sell. Everything comes with a brand; Lucas knew that, Kennedy knows that, and Disney sure as hell knows that. The actual content is secondary to how they get everything out there for the consumer to obtain and then enjoy.

But there's benefits to this approach- playing loose with the brand means they can often play loose with the content; hence the LEGO shows, hence the looser approach to canon, and hence a book consisting of folk tales about a beloved character. We as fans just need to step back and consider the bigger picture before pigeonholing things.

12. Rogue Seven

Sep 6, 2017
    No, I was referring to the fact that Luke retrieved the last two shrubs of "force-soaked tree" that the Emperor took from the huge tree that used to lay at the heart of the Jedi Temple, gave one to Poe's mother who planted it outside his childhood home...which would explain (probably) his nigh-unbelievable pilot skills as force sensitivity from growing up with a force tree near him 24/7....AND that Luke took the other one on his own to study it...and guess what's apparently on Ach-To? A Force Tree.

I mean, if that's not some big canon info informing not only TFA, but also to an extent TLJ...then I'm not sure what is.

But thanks for assuming what I meant and not....you know, asking me. ;)

13. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It's a shame we didn't get books between 1980 and 1983

Journey to Return of the Jedi...

Zoom!
    Vrrrm!
    Explosions!
    Chaos!
    New characters!
    Different story!
    Boba Fett stops at a gas station, fills up the tank of Slave 1 on his way to Tatooine!!!! OMG!!!!!
    Zoom!
    Vrrrm!
    Explosions!
    Chaos!

SWpants likes this.
  14. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    The clickbait...
    [​IMG]

Stymi and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    None of that is brought up or even alluded to in TFA. Poe's status as Force sensitive hasn't yet been confirmed. It had NOTHING to do with that film.

16. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Isn't that what everyone's doing?

From what I see some people are just commenting on the irony of the "journey to . . ." titles and their misleading nature.

No one's saying "This book is bad because of the misleading title", which seems to be what you're implying

17. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Well one guy is, but I suppose he's hardly indicative of the whole, so I might have been a bit over-reactionary with that post. I do that sometimes, but who doesn't.

[​IMG]

18. Rogue Seven

Sep 6, 2017
    You think he's magically an almost unstoppable pilot who can perform 14 trick maneuvers to take out a bunch of ties on his own and sharpshoot soldiers on the ground....and he's not a force sensitive? It's implied enough for me. Especially because they focus on it hard by people calling out his amazing pilot skills repeatedly in the film. But you go ahead and believe otherwise, the subtext is obvious from a film theory angle. Ask yourself this. why would Luke Skywalker, give Poe's mother (whom he knew had a child) a Force-drenched tree...from a narrative standpoint. What purpose does that serve? It's not a throwaway gift that's for sure. He literally gives her one of only TWO surviving branches of a tree that laid at the heart of the Jedi Temple for a thousand generations. Why? He could have kept both to either study or plant somewhere secret, but he gives his pilot companion one instead as she settles down to live a quiet post-soldier life with her husband and child. There's a reason for that from a storytelling POV, and it's not just "because". I think Luke knew what he might cultivate by doing that.

Also, confirmation? You need them to spell it out for you in big block letter across the screen?

Saying I didn't like something, and giving reasons why...is not the same as calling it outright bad as a broad stroke.

You know, I rarely venture out of the film forums...and this is the treatment I've gotten in my first time here...utterly raked over the coals, words put in my mouth, and whatnot...because of my damned opinion.

Look folks, you can love this book all you like. I didn't, and I'm entitled to that POV and I'm entitled to post about it. Jeez.

kalzeth likes this.
  19. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    If all it takes to be Force Sensitive is to be born and raised near a Force tree, then the Jedi would have build a center for pregnant mothers around their tree instead of searching and cataloging the Galaxy for Force-sensitive children. Same thing for Palpatine after he took over.

Also, this book has possible clues for why Luke chose to exile himself on Ahch-To but somehow that doesn't count for you.

20. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    And we're entitled to opinions about your opinions.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm starting to suspect some posters only respond to insults.

Clearly, to borrow a Wipers Times line, I wasn't offensive enough.

22. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Wait, people think Poe Dameron is force-sensitive? Just because he's an exceptional pilot?

From where I stand that would somewhat defeat the purpose of his character

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The idea appears to be: Super skills = evidence of latent Force ability.

I'm not a fan of it.

kalzeth likes this.
  24. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    "That's not how the Force works!"

EDIT: To go into more detail, Han Solo isn't Force Sensitive because he successfully conquered impossible odds to navigate an Asteroid Field, or do whatever he did to make the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs. Wedge Antilles isn't Force Sensitive because he was a fantastic enough pilot to survive two Death Stars and Jakku. So yes, there's going to have to be something else to say, "hey. Poe is Force Sensitive" for me to buy into that theory.

Considering my original point was how nothing in the "Journey to..." books did anything to tie into or confirm anything narrative in the films...yes.

25. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015