main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit So does the new announcements pretty much close the book on legends ever getting continued

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jamminjedi23, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    They’ll keep incorporating/retelling bits of the old Legends canon when it makes sense, like they’ve been doing up to this point.

Anyone holding their breath for a literal continuation of Legends canon needs to let go.

Grievousdude and V-2 like this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Here's the only real Legends continuation I want:

PUBLISH THE REENLISTMENT OF BARON FEL

Please please please please pleaaaaaaase. I just wanna read it. :(

3. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I firmly believe Sword of the Jedi will release eventually. It may not be soon, but I truly believe these three books are still coming. That is all I truly need to be satisfied, anything else is icing on the cake. :)

Sanguinius and Endor_boy like this.
  4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I want to believe that the EU will continue at some point, but with the post-NJO being the likely focus if it were to be continued and the fact that "Legends" is nothing more than a reprint label, I unfortunately don't see it happening.

5. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I don't know if there ever will be. It's possible, but I think unlikely. Increasingly unlikely the longer we go without Legends stories.

I don't see how news of a new trilogy affects it either way, though.

While the direction of this new trilogy is unique and exciting, I don't think news of another trilogy in itself is particularly surprising to anyone.

So how is this the Legends deathblow?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    And yet it's always you kicking the same hornet's nest.

Gotta rile up that BBL bogeyman somehow, amirite?

7. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Isn't that the one that never got past the outline stage?

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm personally waiting on the Knightfall Trilogy.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That one at least had the first book completed, didn't it?

10. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    For me it's Alien Exodus or bust.

Jeff_Ferguson, Ewoklord and Ulicus like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You beat me to it Uli, with considerably more humour.

I'm starting to think Jammin's the kind of guy who, if he sees an open wound, he just can't help throwing salt into it.

Sanguinius and GFRthree like this.
  12. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Of course those quoted enjoyed their work. They're freelance franchise fiction writers (subsistence writers), and 'creative freedom' within the context of a franchise means something very different to its broader artistic definition. I think you could probably name one or two SW writers who would have less glowing things to say, if asked.

13. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I'm actually kinda glad we never got this, like do we really want to be subjected to Soontir slobbering all over Mitty like everyone else in his orbit? VotF was bad enough

Darth_Duck and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah Golden has stated that she never really had even started writing it. I imagine that might be why they gave her Dark Disciple is because of the scrapped Sword of the Jedi series she was supposed to do.

TheRedBlade and Endor_boy like this.
  15. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Considering how this topic has been beaten to death then resurrected on a weekly basis, I concur. Its pointless to have ANOTHER of these threads, especially when people are starting to move on to better conversations.

16. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    SOTJ ay have not gotten far in development but it has been hinted at for a while. I am not wanting it because "it got this far in development so it is more likely to happen" but because of all the building up to these characters and their stories, and I have really been looking forward to it.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Pretty much this, Marvel put out an X-Men 92 book fer crissakes.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    What was really confusing was the Kemp duology that vanished, and going on the Star Wars book thread, we may never hear what it was supposed to be.

19. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Yeah it seems doubtful at this point in time. As others have said I did like the Legends EU for the most part, but there was a need for a reboot. So I would say the best outcome for any Legends material will be if Characters start getting pulled into the New EU Canon. They did it with thrawn, so I have no doubts that other characters are on their radar.

20. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014

Agreed, in fact this topic seems to be resurrected on a weekly basis for years now ever since the Legends announcement in 2014 and perpetrated by only a select few who for some reason still care about this dead horse of a topic. I also agree with you on the increase of interesting conversations here as I've finally started poking around this part of the forum again.:)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Legends had too many problems. They tried to retconn a lot of stuff by the end (2012-14), but their were still too many continuity errors plus the timeline is all messed up. They had more advanced technologies in the SWTOR era then in the Original trilogy even though those stories take place 1000's of years before. I know their is always technological regression/suppression within a society and information gets lost, but come on. I even remember in one of the SWTOR tie-in novels, that one of the characters daughter needed new legs and he sought technology to regrow them. ANY Star Wars fan knows that doesn't happen, and their are only prosthetics. They also made the Force too much like magic, and their were too many Dragonballz-esque feats for my liking. The Force should just be an energy field that strengthens the body and mind (allowing greater jumps, reflexes and telepathy) and occasionally acts as a deus ex machina if the writers are lazy (lol). Plus they killed George Lucas's original vision for the Chosen One. He was supposed to end the Sith. In Legends, It only worked temporarily, and the Sith grew back like a weed. Even the Sith who the prophecy referred to, came back from the dead and nullified the whole thing! (cough cough Palpatine). Though I will weirdly miss the Yuuzhan Vong despite their general unpopularity. They were an alien invasion story within a microcosm, with the Vong as the invaders, the Star Wars denizens as "humans", the galaxy as one planet, and the Vong the invading force.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    mostly wanted to see him get reunited with Wynssa, geez. :(

TheRedBlade likes this.
  23. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    We were told that it was going to "blow our minds" or some other such hyperbole, but I figure it was just going to be an extension of the Jaden Korr storyline with another copy-paste plot of Jaden hunting for something mysterious while a member of a creepy species follows him (how about a Stennes Shifter this time?). The mind-blowing thing probably would have just been that the next clone was of Luke or something.

Crosscurrent was fun if flawed, but Riptide was the exact same thing only with a couple of clones added. Wasn't waiting with bated breath for that duology.

24. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    It could have just been Lords of the Sith-related. Palpatine & Vader doing Sith stuff together could have been enough for Paul S Kemp to think it would "blow peoples' minds".

Re-package the mysterious duology into a single book and make it part of new canon and boom, you have Lords of the Sith.

25. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    Unfortunately, I don't think there was ever much chance of new Legends material. For me the reboot was absolute. I suspect that any new Legends books or comics would be regarded as potentially confusing to the new readership.

As much as I would enjoy new Legends material, I have resigned myself to the fact that this is highly unlikely. An occasional one-off short story published in an official magazine is about the best that we can hope for.