main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Rian Johnson helming new Star Wars Trilogy!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Nov 9, 2017.

1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It wouldn't surprise me if it's KOTOR-based. Not the same necessarily, but set in that time-period, putting a new spin on things. Also Revan has been a character that fans have wanted to see return for a long time now (and Disney has shown with Thrawn that they're not above bringing in popular Legends characters in new settings).

Or it might revolve around Darth Bane/founding the rule of two perhaps?

Personally, I'd love to FINALLY see a female Sith Lord in one of these films.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I don't say this with snark or sarcasm, I am very happy to see you're a bit optimistic about this, my old friend! It is definitely way too early to speculate, but there truly is a limitless number of ways they could go with this. It also speaks highly of Rian's abilities and potentially how good TLJ is gonna be. :)

--Adm. Nick

Havac likes this.
  3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    STAR WARS:

SAGA I

EPISODE I: A NEW LEAF

EPISODE II: SHROUD OF THE BARK SIDE

EPISODE III: ROOTS OF THE JEDI

4. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I liked the premise/setting of Legacy. I for one, hope it's set in the future.

kalzeth likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Go with an opening crawl (unlike the A Star Wars Story movies) but have them be "Chapters" instead of "Episodes". And a groovy fuchsia coloured text and different font.

darthzac14 likes this.
  6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I’m still not sure quite sure about his Star wars work yet, at least not until I’ve seen TLJ. Still a bit sad that he’s working on this instead of IX. Well, at least if the sequels end horribly, maybe this trilogy will make up for that.

7. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    You mean something like "STAR WARS... [Series Title]... Chapter I/1/A... [Title]"

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Seems to me that this announcement is ~10% an interesting future plan, and 90% marketing for TLJ.

Clearly it's no coincidence that the story of Disney hiring the director of TLJ to do a whole new trilogy comes out in the immediate lead up to the release of the TLJ.

"Wow if Disney are hiring this guy to do more movies without this one even being released yet, then this one must be really, really great! I better go see it after all"

SilentGuy66, kalzeth and SWpants like this.
  9. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    The implication that the general movie-going public wasn't planning on seeing it anyway is kind of absurd.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    You mean Lucasfilm put out an early announcement to hype up their most recent movie? The hell you say!

But, c'mon, every studio does it. Lest we forget the Dark Universe "cast photo" (only 3 of these people are in The Mummy)

But the big difference here is, Lucasfilm is going to do it. Yeah, every studio and their brother hypes up a franchise when talking about future installments but unless you're Marvel or Lucasfilm, they have a spotty track record of happening. But this is Lucasfilm. So it will. Unless Rian Johnson suddenly butts heads with Kennedy but there hasn't been a single peep of that and LFL can be a very leaky barge when it comes to BTS conflict.

So yeah, it is a hype announcement. But it's a hype announcement that is really, really likely to become 3 movies.

SilentGuy66 and Ewoklord like this.
  11. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    You should really tell this to the movie studios. They could save hundreds of millions on marketing if they knew what you do.

Yeah I know I was stating the obvious, but still felt like saying it anyway. I too expect it will actually come to fruition, definitely not saying that it is pure bull**** to hype the film and plans scrapped not long after. (You never know though . . .)

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It's interesting no one's been interviewing George Lucas about all these big developments. To be honest, I've been half-suspecting Kennedy, Johnson, et al have been getting more input from Lucas than they let on. Either from his notes, or directly from him (or both). Lucas's has sort of gone the way of Bill Watterson, but I really do think he's whispering sweet porgs to them in the sidelines, including insight on what he'd do if he were to do a spinoff trilogy. He was always a zany fount of ideas, good or bad.

13. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    It is probably also a countermeasure to all the negative Disney/KK - Director headbutting news. But I'm ok with that. In fact, I'm glad they announced before TLJ's release. It shows confidence that they trust they know what Star Wars should be instead of waiting for the general audience reviews. TLJ could receive awful reviews. If that happens, then the whole Disney/LFL leadership will come into question. I'm not talking box office, but reviews. Box office success is a guarantee for a Star Wars saga release at this point in time.

Rian has made some wonderful movies, but that doesn't guarantee he will make wonderful Star Wars (just more likely).

So it has just as much downside as upside in the announcement timing.

14. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I'm not sure how much input Disney wants from George 'Sold to White Slavers' Lucas.

15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    http://ew.com/movies/2017/08/14/geo...l&xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

16. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Luke S. and Lucas are the same person. He's now the recluse claiming "The Star Wars must end." Yes, Kathleen is Rey.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  17. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    My respect has grown for them with this move, even more so if it's old republic. It could have been temping to create another trilogy about the legacy of the skywalker line and Rey after episode 9. But I do want to see more of "traditional Star Wars" if the ancient past is what we are getting. It's possible we could get new anthologies keeping to familiar eras (maybe one about Rey post ST) and with live action Star Wars tv becoming a reality, Disney can keep various periods alive on screen.

kalzeth likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if Rian Johnson likes the idea that the Jedi and Sith were once a single, neutral order with no concept of "light" and "dark" side.

19. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    This is very welcome news. It's reassuring to have another trilogy confirmed. Like many people, I am hoping for/expecting a KOTOR or Dawn of the Jedi setting.

I have a suspicion that TLJ will give us some new information about the history of the Jedi Order. I say this because Luke had spent years attempting to reastablish the order and would have thoroughly researched the history of the order in pursuit of this goal (the books in his cave would suggest this as well).

It may be the case that, Kennedy et al were so enthused by this history that they are going to set the next trilogy in this era. That said, as much as fans of the wider Star Wars universe enjoy this era, I wonder if it would be readily accepted by casual fans and general film-goers. It may be the case that casual fans would struggle to invest in a trilogy without any familiar characters.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    That would annoy me. Stick with episodes and introduce Saga ordinals, too.

Bit of a mouthful, sure, but it doesn't matter when Disney prefer to market the main title exclusively. (Alongside "Star Wars", of course)

21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, I haven't had a chance to post since Thursday, but I definitely saw the news. My reaction was basically...

[​IMG]

22. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    If it is set long before TPM, I wonder whether it will focus on the Old Republic that is already thousands of years old, or instead getting even more ancient times.

Star Wars: The First Republic

Being set in a time in which we see how the Old Republic formed and the Jedi for the 1st time becoming defenders of it.

Or give us a trilogy where its all just pre-Republic in the earlier days of the hyperdrive.

23. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I hope it's not about the time when the Sith ruled from Coruscant, because I wouldn't want it to feel too much like the Original Trilogy - good guys fighting a Rebellion against an evil empire. This is such a great opportunity to do something wildly different. (The Star Wars sequels, while they have a lot of thematic resonances with the OT so far, seem largely to be about this one family and the way those resonances play out, how you hold on to what you've built and ensure a better future once it's your turn to steer.)

Jester J Binks and kalzeth like this.
  24. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Absolutely. They can simultaneously feel Star Wars without the been there, done that problem. Just totally get off the "who is going to fall and be redeemed" plot. However, they should still feel like there's a larger arc going instead of feeling like a sitcom where they just have a new and essentially unrelated adventure each episode.

I'd like to see a more multi-polar drama. And if it is pre-Republic or just very early Republic, that would seem to be naturally set up.

Or possibly a darker origin to the Jedi. They were not accepted on peaceful terms. Instead, they choked out dissent and then slowly erased the power grab from memory/history.

So many possibilities that go beyond fall, redemption and/or overthrow of oppressive rule.

BobaMatt and kalzeth like this.
  25. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Agreed. Would be cool if he found something like Campbell to underpin the trilogy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk