main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Why are we fans?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Pom, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Pom

Pom Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2017
    Hi guys,

I was just wondering what made you guys decide to join this forum? Also what specifically about Star Wars do you like as a fan? I was thinking about my decisions to create an account and I got curious.

Bosozoku27 likes this.
  2. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    For me, it was curiosity about the upcoming "Star Wars Episode I". Yes, I am that old.

Get off my lawn! Dagnabit.

Sent using Tapatalk this was!

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    For me it was hearing that Jango Fett would be in episode 2 and Boba Fett's origin would be explained.

dustinroberts and DarthIshyZ like this.
  4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    2 reasons I had heard that Dooku duels both Obi-Wan and Anakin together in ROTS and didn't see any threads about it, so I registered to ask such a question. Thankfully my thread stayed open :p

the other reason was I wanted to know what the real deal about SuperShadow was.

This was back in 2004.

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Star Wars speaks to me.

6. Psych_Jedi

Psych_Jedi Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I joined way back in 2003...that would be between Episode II and III. I don't think I lurked the forums much before then, though I may have--at least checking out the main page. I was a star wars fan for 20 years before that--drawn to the worlds beyond ours, the battle between good and evil, and the spiritual nature of the Force.

I was trying to go back to my first posts, but there's some technical issues lately. But I imagine I was drawn to the potential for spoilers about ROTS. I seem to recall that there was a live cam feed of filming, which was pretty cool. So I came here for the discussion and interacting with fellow fans.

Also, as Dandelo recalls, there was a mysterious figure named SuperShadow that fooled many Star Wars fans--myself included. I paid the $10 subscription for premium reads on his site. I eventually realized he was just copying stuff he read on theforce.net and making up other stuff. I recall how disliked he became around here.

Dandelo, Sarge and DarthIshyZ like this.
  7. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Been a fan nearly all my life, but I joined mostly due to really getting into Rebels and having no one to discuss with about it. So I joined this forum and paid most attention to the TV subforum.

8. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    This, and in so many ways. Also, it's an escape for me.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Because it's fun and awesome.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  10. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Wanting to discuss the music in The Clone Wars. This forum was very helpful in sorting the music. ;)

11. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    Because Star Wars has been the only franchise to be there my entire 17 years in both good and bad times. I was raised on it and it's the only franchise I keep so up to date on and go so in depth in. And the Clone Wars back in my childhood had such an effect on me showing how human characters could be.

And the ST is the first trilogy I've been able to see in theatres. Whether the new disney star wars is good or bad I'm happy that'll it be continuing well into my 20's and 30's

Star Wars is quite literally a part of me :p

and to the original question: I joined the forums to discuss Rebels and the new movies :p because my friends irl aren't such star wars fans.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I lurked from the time TPM premiered until late 2000 when I initially joined...for the purpose of commenting on someone’s fan fiction.

...also that old.

*waves cane*

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  13. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    You ever figure out wht his real deal was? ;)

Sent using Tapatalk this was!

Dandelo likes this.
  14. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    I got suckered in after TPM on the hopes of spoilers and greatly desired information.

15. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    DarthIshyZ likes this.
  16. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Star Wars fan: because I was brainwashed at a very young age. Parents took me to the movies and all the new flashy effects tricked me into associating lightsabers, X-wings and Stormtroopers with joy. The programming happened so young that it is impossible to undo. It's an epidemic, but at least it kept me off meth.

JCF member: Put up the good fight for almost two decades. But I fell off the wagon after watching Rogue One and now I can't wait a year at a time for my next fix. Now every time I'm in the middle of a post here, I realize it is just the SW crack. What am I doing .. again? This is the last time.

EDIT: Just needed a quick hit. It isn't a new post, so it doesn't count. (C ya a disgustingly short time later)

darthOB1 and Sarge like this.
  17. Psych_Jedi

Psych_Jedi Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Dandelo Yeah, I wanted to know so much! It was very soon after that when I realize I was scammed. Oh well, it could have been worse.

18. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    First step; recognition. ;)

Sarge likes this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Should we host an intervention?

20. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I joined this forum after lurking for awhile due it be fairly friendly to all fans and the excitement for TFA. Star wars mix of fantasy and sci-fi is what does it for me, something no other franchise does with just the right balance.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I created an account because the boards on Starwars.com were shut down so a few years later I joined up. I like how it is for everyone. I like how literally any type of story can be told in the universe.

22. Isley_27

Isley_27 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2016
    When I first saw a lightsaber as a kid in ROTJ I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. From that point onward I started paying attention to the story, movies, books, comics, etc new and old. I joined the forum because besides my wife, no one around me knew much about Star Wars like I did but the single fact that "Luke is Vader's son right" and nothing else. There is so much more to SW besides that one simple fact, and here I can "geek out" to fellow fans.

23. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Why I'm a Star Wars fan? To be honest, I wasn't really all that much of one until I got here, and even now I wouldn't say I am compared to most others here. I always liked Star Wars well enough, but no where near as much as some other franchises. I never got into the EU (now Legends) all that much but enjoyed the Republic Commando series of novels which my wife bought for me to read right after I got out of the Guard and that made me a fan of Mandalorians. :p

That led me here after finding out about pacifistic New Mandalorians were being planned for TCW and I went searching for information. These forums were one of the first places to pop up in my search and I've stuck around ever since.

dustinroberts likes this.
  24. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I’ve been a fan since ‘77. Lurked here for many years until I finally joined five years ago. Star Wars echoes many interests, and is so much fun. Cannot and will not give it up. I’ve inherited just a bit of Yoda’s DNA. Wish I would have joined during the PT era, better late than never.

I enjoy this forum, and spending time with other fans talking about SW and other things.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  25. Bosozoku27

Bosozoku27 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2017
    I decided to join this forum because of my longtime interest/liking of Star Wars... also, because here (Japan) I don't get to converse with many people passionate about Star Wars, and some of the fellow fans I meet can't speak/understand English very well.

As for liking Star Wars, it's hard to explain but my soul seems to take to the story of fighting for good, rebelling against evil, and being a part of something bigger than oneself.