main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit So does the new announcements pretty much close the book on legends ever getting continued

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jamminjedi23, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I think the only way we could see new Legends material would be if Disney had designs to make the SW comic-verse as large as the entire Marvel-verse, and accordingly started their own Comic Book publishing company. SW comics would expand from being just a few titles that are easily collectible for the completionist into a vast universe full of myriad titles, designed to have something for everyone and allowing fans to pick and choose which ones they wanted. Being a SW comic reader would be more like being a Marvel reader, in that you figure out which titles you like instead of trying to collect them all. Anyway my point is that they would maybe consider multiverses in order to fill out the number of titles they wanted. And boom! The Legends-verse returns. But yeah none of that is ever going to happen. Carry on.

2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    My point was there's nothing to release. Nobody's working on it. Nobody even really worked on it when it and the EU were still a thing. It isn't even in the same league as Knightfall, Escape from Dagu, etc, because it was so early in the production process I don't feel like there's anything to salvage from it.

3. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    The duology was none of those ideas. When we say new we mean NEW. Not like 5 degrees to the left new.

4. I want more Legends books? yes but i think the Legends timeline is complete
    I believe that Legacy closed that continuity very well but I would like to see a book of Ben Skywalker and Jaina Solo post Crucible

Sanguinius likes this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Will we ever get a sketch of what the next plans for the old EU were, if the Disney sale /sequel trilogy / EU reboot didn't happen? It would be nice to hear about it, it could even be its own "book of lost tales" from Del Rey's point of view, maybe including some of the Dark Horse people too.

6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I second this. Filoni did a similar thing for the unfinished TCW episodes, so why not Del Rey and Dark Horse do the same for the stories they planned but didn't get to tell?

Ghost likes this.
  7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    omg it was a trek crosover

Iron_lord and TheRedBlade like this.
  8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Not that I enjoy raining on jamminjedi's attempt to quell his nightmares of the EU returning in any form (as people have pointed out already, FFG and KOTOR never stopped), but other sci-fi franchises indicate that, no, it's unlikely that they won't do something with Legends at some point.

Why the 'threat' of more EU material bothers him so much, I've never been able to figure out. It's not a zero sum game. :confused:

9. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    You'd be surprised how some people view that.

10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Probably not. :p And in all fairness, there are people on the 'other side' that obviously feel the same way... not to mention that this is something more endemic to fandom in general.

But I think that they often appear to be in greater numbers only because they are the 'loudest voices'. In general, I think fans are reasonable folk that are more concerned with sharing their favorite things with people that feel the same way rather than worrying that people that don't feel the same way having any sort of influence on franchises.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  11. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Is there anything stopping an enterprising individual tracking down all the key players for interview, taking a few vague/fair-use pictures, and self publishing such a book? Seems like there's a niche audience with some spare cash who might like that sort of thing, and, assuming it could be done without getting Disney lawyers involved, could pay for itself many times over.

12. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    It really baffles me how some posters are clinging to canon for dear life. Why not have an EU story here and there? There's a market. I wouldn't be surprised if a Special Never Seen In Five Years EU Comic! sold more than Star Wars number eight hundred and thirty whatever. But why stop there? Why not have Infinities again? An entire Infinities series dedicated to What-Ifs would be awesome. Never mind if it would sell- would you want it? I don't understand the fuss.

13. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I wouldn't be opposed to new Legends material coming out, but considering that I've only read one Legends book, I'm not too hung up on Legends and have been enjoying the new canon quite a bit.

Yunzabit and V-2 like this.
  14. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    As time goes on more and more stuff from legends will leak into canon like Thrawn and a lot of smaller stuff already has. Nothing is getting thrown away.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  15. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I'd prefer stuff for the new canon.

But I also believe that this is the single most tired and played out discussion we could be having at the moment. What's the point anymore? Why can't we be talking about, I dunno, the new live action series? Hell, I'll take baseless speculation over whatever is going on here.

TheRedBlade and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    We are baselessly speculating about it. Just this is Literature, and was built on Legends. People should not, and will not, just abandon something because it’s been declared non canon. As evidenced by the popularity of Rebels and ToR, loyalty to the franchise matters.

When and if Disney reboots again? We’ll see how New Canon fans feel about it. Shrug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Definitely a chance for another reboot. I think if that happens it would likely come when they need to start trying to rejuvenate interest in the movies again. There will come a time (rather it be 20 years from now or 50 years from now) where a lot of people get the mindset of 'just another Star Wars movie coming out' and the interest has significantly faded that they feel they might need to start things over again.

18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The old GL/Sue Rostoni/Randy Stradley canon of yesteryear is over. Filoni best said it, somethings are better left vague. In the old EU, while I think we got a lot and almost to the end, they left vague several things. Still, it was the best of times. When I look at it, we got stories that went from far back to the far future. So its over, and now we have the Disney stuff. Whether we believe that its money generated or not, its not that bad I guess. I've said this several times, regardless of the whatever comes out, if your a true die hard star wars fan, you don't forget or give up the past. Remember, its not gone and can't erased. It happened. They just don't count it.

They can reboot, like Marvel and DC does, but it doesn't take away from the story that was told and remember no matter how many re-boots you have, there is one one way to tell story, no matter how many multiple variations out there. A boy, a girl, a galaxy, turmoil, war, and family.

snelson, Sinrebirth and kalzeth like this.
  19. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I'd look forward to that just to see how similarly events would play out.

20. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    I think it could really unite the two sides. Oh, and it will happen, provided Star Wars lasts long enough.

21. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    OK - first, yes, we are the franchise whose fans will engage in a metaphorical vibroshiv dance over the length of certain not-to-be-named capital ships. *

* Disclaimer - does not either recommend or support engaging in vibroshiv dancing, EVER, ESPECIALLY non-metaphorical. Use fandom safely, please.

But seriously - "sides?" That's ... like saying fans who came in through the PT are somehow less than those who started with the OT - or, for that matter, that even those who were there for the OT are "more legitimate" than those who viewed the OT in the early- to mid-90s.

Look - people like the EU. It was a hot, flaming mess by the end, IMHO, but it had its high points, its ... very low ... points, and in between, a ton of unrealized potential, which, really, is best left now to fanfic writers, and the occasional blogger or poster remembering the old days.

(I won't beat a dead Thakwaash over why the EU was in need of ... something - that's been addressed elsewhere.)

To the point - dirty little secret here, folks - the EU isn't dead.

Every time someone like Jason Fry, James Luceno, and so on reuse or revive some tiny piece of terminology we all cheer for, because we were there when it started, another bit of the EU is alive.

Is that Frankensteining it back in? Picking over a corpse? Arguably; but while specific characters and storylines are extremely unlikely to ever return, the grand connective tissue - the bones, the Cronau radiation, and so on - are still there. It'd be too much work for Disney to recreate all that, and I can sleep at night knowing that on some plane of existence, the NJO is chugging along, (considerable) baggage aside.

TL, DR - nobody should expect The Further Adventures of Raynar Thul any time soon, and to be blunt, if we did get Kyp, Cilghal, Kyle, etc. somewhere, only to see them get cut down by Not!Darth Emo ... well, I can guarantee you the collective outrage here would be sulfuric. And rightfully so.:mad:

(And, you can get a cheap laugh by imagining Kanan is actually Kyyle Kaatarn. They stole the Bearded One's look and shoulder pad for him, so why not? :p)

Jeff_Ferguson and Jedi Ben like this.
  22. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Onderon1
    By me using the term 'sides' how do you assume certain fans are more legitimate or less legitimate in my view?? I never said either "side" was more valid. It's entirely subjective.
    Also, not speaking for all fans- just myself, the EU getting slowly ported over is quite unsatisfactory. I don't care if the new universe resembles the old one. It's still a different universe. The entire timeline is vastly different. No matter how many names are reused that won't give us Legacy, or whatnot. I want the legitimate old universe back. I don't want a new house painted like the old house. It's still a different house. For the time being I'd like the new canon to be new, instead of retreading the old successes and mistakes.

kalzeth likes this.
  23. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I'm sorry but there is no argument to be made. It is not the same and frankly, it isn't anywhere close enough to be effectual. The continuity is discontinued indefinitely. Besides, I couldn't give 1/1000th of a damn if they're going to reference characters like Kyle through Kanan if they're just going to shoot themselves in the foot by relegating them to supporting characters in a series in which they should be the protagonist.

Sanguinius and kalzeth like this.
  24. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    SpecForce Trooper: Apologies; I didn't mean to throw you under the bus, or offend you. I was - poorly - reacting to the tendency of our fandom to draw up particularly sharp-edged camps when, IMHO, it's neither productive nor necessary.

Talos (and SpecForce Trooper): I can appreciate your dissatisfaction with the reboot. I didn't get into my own feelings on it that much, but perhaps I should have.

I'm not pleased with the blatant money-making element, but as a creator (remixer? Interpretive artistic borrower? :p), I can at least understand the desire to go for a blank slate. That is, however, cold comfort to those of us who'd like to see Legends return ... but more on that below.

Blatant parallels like Kanan/Hera and Kyle/Jan do sting - I was, I'll admit, flippant about that, and I apologize.

My degree of ambivalence on the reboot boils down to this - and I preface this with IMHO, because that's all it is:

By the end - after the mid-point of FOTJ - reading the EU was what I can only imagine crawling over glass feels like. [face_plain]

Characters I cared deeply about were being ... folded, spindled, and mutilated. I won't go into details - there are threads upon threads about this - but I will say I never even considered reading Crucible, because of how horrendous the reviews sounded.

And worst of all? By that point, I was so inured to the horror show that I'd expected "the last novel" to be that bad.

The ST - and the resultant ripple effects - aren't perfect; far from it. But I'd rather take the best parts of the past, and celebrate the fun parts of the present and future, than try to defend the late EU, or continue to watch what was once (again IMHO) great and worthy of celebration be run through a grimdark shredder.

25. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Honestly, I thoroughly enjoyed NJO being a darker story than what had come before from Bantam as it made it quite distinctive in the post-OT era of Legends. However, Dark Nest, Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi pretty much drove all that into the ground as far as the novels went.

kalzeth likes this.