main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Rian Johnson helming new Star Wars Trilogy!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Nov 9, 2017.

1. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Foundation of the (old) Republic or nowhere near the original trilogy, plz.

Would be neat if they did Allston(?)'s idea of a planet across different eras.

2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    ... Borleias?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  3. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Word is, Rian Johnson's movies are going to follow the lead of the naming conventions of the Dark Forces series of games.

The Last Jedi
    The Last Jedi II: Ragnarok
    Ragnarok II: SOMETHING COOL
    Ragnarok: STARRING SOMEONE ELSE

4. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I am having this image in my head that the new trilogy will be a more primitive group of people on a more primitive planet, like the one Anakin chases Ventress to in the original Clone Wars. Just a group of people, no existing concepts except maybe the Force (no Jedi, Sith, First Order, Republic, Empire, ect.) I would like this a lot, something much smaller but big in and of itself, and set in a literal corner of the galaxy opposite where we are use to.

ObiWanKnowsMe and Ewan Tibbetts like this.
  5. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Hutts. It's going to be all Hutts. Hutts in palaces, Hutts in spaceships, Hutts in huts, Hutts eating nuts, Hutts looking at butts. And get your reading-glasses ready, we're getting 100% Huttese dialogue (except for the Han & Chewie & Lando & Boba Fett & Vader cameos, of course).

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

6. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    How can Hutts look at butts if it's all Hutts and Hutts don't have butts?

Darth_Duck and DelRiego like this.
  7. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    That's just the limited, bipedal, view of butts. Hutt butts are there, if you know what you're looking for (and I do).

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  9. Wolfpack5

Wolfpack5 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2017
    I'd like to see the Old Republic. I will be disappointed if it takes places chronologically within the Ep.1 to Ep.9 timeframe - that is what the anthologies are for.

10. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002

Classic, Ken.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  11. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I think this video I saw on YouTube sums up my feelings on the subject. Caution there is a bit of strong language at one point but that aside, I think what he says is sound.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Oh hey, I knew I heard that voice before...

13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Maybe but I was talking specifically about that video and his views on but new Trilogy.

14. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Off-topic but I am greatly amused at how their "When will Star Wars die?" video was released over a month after their "Star Wars is dead" video. And how the fact that they had to release a new video about a new trilogy implicitly reveals the answer to that question. When will Star Wars die? No time soon... [face_dancing]

15. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Like I said. I can’t comment on those videos. Only the specific new trilogy video

16. Old Republic or riot

kalzeth likes this.
  17. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah I would pay absolutely no attention whatsoever to anything that that guy says. He runs a rant channel that focuses a great deal on new canon Star Wars. He is going to complain about something anyway he can.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    It would be great to see a more diversity in colors for sabers, if ancient jedi were explored. Green and blue can still be the majority (would like to see other shades of those colors), but in the past their are more purple and yellow blades compared to the PT era. Could be a chance to introduce orange to canon.

The amount of these colors can be justified with the Jedi having more access to sites/crystals. What if the origin of where a crystal came from influences the likelihood of whether a yellow/purple would come about. Some places you are more likely to get say yellow instead of blue/green. Since the Sith can't make synthetic crystals, over the thousands of years of war against the Jedi they have stolen/destroyed various crystals and their habitats throughout the galaxy. Causing less diverse colors amongst the jedi. Making purple very rare to come by and eventually crystals that became yellow, to jedi temple guards.

Actual swords should also be introduced, really creating that ancient feel.

In an age of lightsabers normally it wouldn't make sense for Jedi to use force-imbued blades instead. Then again if the trilogy is set in the very early days of the lightsaber, you could still have some jedi preferring the traditional weapon.

Sith without large access to crystals to bleed could also be used to bring in Sith Swords.

Their is a chance that the survivors that fled to korriban didn't have access to large crystal reserves for sith sabers. The only crystals they had were left overs from the war torn regions of the 100yr darkness. Making sabers a rarity in a new Sith society. So if their is ever movies about a nu canon version of the first contact/war between Jedi and Sith after the 100yr darkness, various sith can be shown wielding dark side imbued swords. Even without a saber still a large threat with their skills with a sword and the power of the dark side.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Ok, I've been giving this some thought after pondering it for awhile.

As much as I WANT to say it should be set post-ST, the answer is that it should't be. You fall into a trap if you're always pushing forward. You need a bigger bad guy, a bigger threat, a bigger everything. If there is one thing that I don't want the new canon timeline to turn into, it's the bloated corpse of the old EU. We went from Galactic Civil War to Vong War to Confederation-GA War to Sith-Imperial War to Second Imperial Civil War/Alliance Remnant Insurgency. It just kept getting worse and the brand suffered for it.

However, if we delve into the past, the canvas is open and we aren't forced to follow the same rules. You could literally take any point on the timeline pre-TPM and tell limitless stories. The father back you go, the more freedom you have. Seeing the Republic and Jedi Order at their height would be a welcome change. I'm sure whatever Rian Johnson comes up with will be awesome, but this is where I stand at this point. [face_peace]

--Adm. Nick

20. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Jar Jar trilogy. Finally.

21. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Didn't one of the faux force users in the Vader comic use an orange blade?

22. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I remember Karbin using blue and purple blades:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And Aiolin and Morit Astarte using green and yellow blades, respectively:
    [​IMG]
    But I wouldn't be surprised if Morit's blade appeared orange-ish in some panels against certain background colors.

Gamiel and Endol like this.
  23. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Ah thanks for the clarification! Yes I can see my mistake, definitely yellow blade!

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How much is Gorefiend paying you?

Gorefiend likes this.
  25. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    A trilogy about one of the old republic eras just makes the most marketable and longevity sense for a world without skywalkers.

I'm pretty sure that their is still going to be a focus on jedi and the dark vs light theme in the next trilogy. Jedi and saber duels are just to popular to pass up (leave non-jedi films for anthologies). The casual audience also needs these familiar things to draw them into it. It is especially important to do this for films that can't lean on a skywalker or other people connected to that bloodline to bring in viewers.

Now if we disregard ToR eras from the picture, then it really limits how you can portray those popular things without a connection to the skywalkers.

You could go the post ST route set long after Rey and co are gone. A form of "Legacy". Of course any jedi that appear in a post ST setting rely on the action of a skywalker(s)/Rey of the ST to once again restart the Jedi Order. So that would create a connection to the bloodline that this new trilogy is trying to avoid. They could give us the radical route and have no Jedi appear, perhaps still follow a force sensitive around, but he isn't a jedi. Throw in a lightsaber. Of course we couldn't get the duels we are used to, and it will raise questions about whether or not the Jedi still exist. It also puts restrictions on future stories about Rey and the gang set before this new trilogy.

They could take the pre-TPM path (but not 1000+ yrs in its past). Still limitations exist when it comes to duels and galactic war. Other then the clone wars, no galactic scale war happens and the RoT Sith arn't fighting the Jedi. If you want to see a real duel, one would be forced to pull out a dark jedi, or a nightsister (in TCW they had acquired a few jedi sabers). People are expecting huge wars, but only local (or ones that span a few solar systems) make sense. Would love a pre-TPM anthology in this period (local battles would work with that), but basing a trilogy on that sounds like a bad idea.

It could be set during a war within the unknown regions in the dark times (following a jedi survivor) or PT era. Then again, you are limited to darksiders and galactic wars.

On the other hand, with ToR you have plenty of room for large scale warfare and a variety of darksiders as enemy. From various factions of Sith across time. Going pre-Sith days can give us dark jedi or ancient non-human darksiders. It also helps that back then we have a jedi order that is not connected to any skywalker or the people that shared a relationship with one.

26. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah I think there is little to no chance this new trilogy is going to be a post Ep. IX trilogy. Even if they went 100 to 1000 years into the future that would still give the audience an idea of what happens to Luke and/or Rey after the ST and I doubt they want to give away yet what ideas they have for the future of those characters.