main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Battlefront II: Campaign Content (spoiler tags required for DLC story)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    There was at least another one:
    I mean Admiral Montferrat, who was aboard the Devastator. Granted, his ship went down before the destruction of the Death Star, but if there was one other admiral, there might have been others.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's worth remembering that Rear Admirals and Vice Admirals are sometimes addressed as just "Admiral" - so we can't be certain that everybody addressed as "Admiral" is a full Admiral.

3. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Well inserting my characters into it, a character I placed in command of the main Imperial communications ship, later named the Pride of Tarlandia, was a full admiral and next in line after Piett. But since the ship was destroyed before the Executor, he couldn't exactly take command. The irony is that his great-nephew was leading the B-wing units as Blue Leader for the Rebellion.

4. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    So the Battle of Naboo for Operation cinder was really expanded on, it wasn't simple as them just taking out Duvat's SD and the Satellites, nope the Empire really wanted Naboo and they turned Theed into a damn Battleground the likes hasn't been seen some 30 years earlier.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Been watching some footage. Gotta say, I love all the references and tidbits they're throwing in. Feels like the universe has a better sense of continuity.

Rear Admiral Sloan, Sunspot Prison, The Observatory, Operation: Cinder, etc.

BobaMatt likes this.
  6. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    I'm really happy with what I've seen of the campaign so far, especially the use of hero characters and the grand finale.

7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Operation: Cinder is really played as a make or break point for even super-loyalist Imperials; Iden can justify two separate Death Stars and allowing a Partisan terrorist scheme to go ahead for the sake of a mission, but allowing Cinder to kill civilians on Vardos, even those that Iden can literally rescue without interfering in her mission? Apparently that's the straw that breaks the camel's back. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that Cinder kicked off much of the infighting in the Empire; it's not hard to see an opportunistic Moff hearing the cries of a planet targeted by Cinder and moving to save it even against Versio sized fleets.

TheRedBlade and Daneira like this.
  8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    The Death Stars were always justified as military solutions, tools to be used against Rebels. Cinder didn't have any pretense: it targeted civilians, and often on worlds that are important to the Empire. It seems to repulse Versio specifically because it showed in a totally open and unvarnished way that the Empire doesn't even care about Imperials.

Daneira and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  9. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Continuity errors for BF II and Shattered Empire:
    The mellcrawler II, Nein Numb, b-wings, Shara Bey and Queen Soruna were surprising missing from both the Space battle and ground battle of the battle of naboo. Yeah we saw the three n-1 starfighters that Leia, Shara and Soruna piloted but still b-wings and Mellcrawler II and Nein numb were missing.

10. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    Not that big of a deal, considering, for example, the hijacking of the Suprosa was shown about five different ways in Shadows of the Empire vs. X-Wing Alliance.

One playable hero bit I was super excited about.

Lando baby! He hasn't been playable in a game since Super Return of the Jedi!

11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    What, seriously - nothing since that?

12. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    He...

Has been an NPC in a few games, but not controllable. His segment is pretty radical too.

13. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

Still amazed me they went down this route. I figured that Iden and Inferno Squad would be die-hard Imperial loyalists who then signed up for the First Order. Quite the twist when Iden and Del defected to the Alliance because Iden's homeworld, despite its absolute loyalty to the Empire, was targeted by Operation Cinder. Makes me wonder if Palpatine really was the architect of Operation Cinder if even loyal worlds such as Vardos was made a target. Seems like pettiness from the Emperor who only underestimated how much he was hated and that's why the rebellion won.

14. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I don't understand why there is doubt that Palpatine planned The Contingency and Operation Cinder.

Dr. Steve Brule and BobaMatt like this.
  15. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm confused at the idea people have that Palpatine wouldn't want the die-hard loyalists to pay the price for failing him. Palpatine doesn't want a legacy--he wants revenge. He was not even Sauron but Morgoth.

Ghost, BobaMatt and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Finished the game. Had to, didn't trust people not to spoil me. I loved all the random canon *and EU* references scattered all over the place.

My favorite EU references being....

The truce at Bakura handshake shot with Leia. That was SO on purpose.

Also the random Jomark reference. Nice.

And of course there's the canon stuff that everyone will catch and notice.

Anyway, I'm going to regret this in the morning when I get zero sleep but hey at least I can talk and read about it!

17. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I mean, Palpatine went from thinking he was The Senate to thinking he was God Incarnate. If God dies, Creation dies with him. He doesn't care about his Empire except for how it can ultimately benefit him in the end.

As far as the First Order goes, I think there is not enough information as of now to determine whether they factored into his post-mortem revenge, but I can definitely see Palpatine planning a long con even in his demise.

18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    For me, it has to be
    The Beldons. Pretty cool new design too.

BobaMatt and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  19. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

Always been my personal opinion since we don't know exactly what Palpatine was thinking when supposedly planning every contingency.

20. StarWarsFan1997

StarWarsFan1997 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005

In a way, Cinder, not Endor or Jakku, could be seen as the death of the old Empire and the start of the First Order, at least in the eyes of, for lack of a better word, idealistic Imperials like Iden. I think Admiral Versio even says something to this effect when he is confronted by Iden.

BobaMatt likes this.
  21. StarWarsFan1997

StarWarsFan1997 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    So, do we think that the "compass" Luke retrieved on Piriilo (sp) eventually led him to Acht-To, or a map to other points of interest for Force Knowledge, or both? Or none of the above?

MercenaryAce likes this.
  22. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    he has 2 of these compasses now then. He got another one in The Legends of Luke Skywalker book. I think these might lead to a portal like the one introduced in Rebels [//spoiler]

23. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The reviews are out and I think I am just going to watch a playthrough on youtube of the game now instead of paying 60 dollars for it. The IGN review said

The Campaign is only four hours long and the story feels rather disjointed

TheRedBlade likes this.
  24. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Re: Operation Cinder
    Admiral Versio seems to understand the plan as creating chaos so that people understand they need the Empire. But where do people think this chaos is coming from? And why target Imperial worlds as well?
    Also:
    I loved Theeds secret booma EMP generator, which must have been installed after the peace with the Gungans. Love to see concrete effects of stories (in this case, Episode I) on later stories.
    Absolutely. That's why Kylo Ren wants it.

25. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    I've watched a good hour of the campaign. And while it is a good Star Wars game from what I can tell, EA's lootbox shenanigans means I'll be picking it up from now in 6 months. I only really care about the single player anyway.

It does look good, and the story is well done from what I've seen. I actually like how they intermixed the different characters and perspectives.

TheRedBlade likes this.