main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. RavagerFish

RavagerFish Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2011
    Yeah, this episode had a lot of firsts without much fanfare—first mention of Hera's promotion and first use of X-wings. It doesn't necessarily bother me that they didn't make those two events into larger story moments, but just like the Alliance's sudden use of the Alliance Starbird, they seem like missed opportunities for storytelling. I definitely expected a year ago that the first appearance of X-wings would be acknowledged by Rebels and Imperials alike, that the adoption of the Alliance Starbird would be a big moment for Sabine (I'd assumed the Starbird came from of her Phoenix Squadron design), and that Hera's promotion would signify a big character shift for her as she moves away from the Ghost crew and into the larger Alliance command structure. It's not really clear why she was promoted in the first place. Maybe they're leaving those moments out so they can be their own stories later, I don't know.

I otherwise really appreciated this episode, though, and I'm enjoying the whole Lothal arc thus far. I'm a sucker for Force mysticism and anything Kanan centric, so obviously those are big pluses for me, but even beyond that being back on Lothal has been a great opportunity for the Ghost crew to have a clear and achievable focus of saving Lothal. After Maul's death, I wondered where the crew would go from here, as they'd moved away from Lothal and had shifted focus to defeating the Empire at large, which meant they were boxed into not being able to achieve much.

I also like that having a longer arc on Lothal means we don't need to spend the beginning of each episode explaining mundanely what mission the crew needs to undertake and the last few minutes rushing a conclusion. We're getting more time for characters to interact and have fun, team-based fights with Imperials and the occasional Trandoshan that definitely reminds me of the Weisman-influenced first season. They've done a tremendous amount of well-done buildup, so I hope the payoff and conclusion for the Ghost crew is satisfying.

Question: are there any other older loose ends that we need wrapped up at this point? I'm thinking of things like Minister Tua's "true reason the Empire's on Lothal" that recently got a nod on the show.

The_Forgotten_Jedi likes this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's not loading online for me, it does the ads then the infinite loading signal... :(

3. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    [face_whistling]

Yeah, Kanan's a goner and he probably knows it too. Skerris was killed. Hera was captured.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Much like the Ahsoka speculation, I'll believe this when I see it.

After all, people thought Kanan would die in this episode and he's still alive and well. I personally don't think Rebels has the guts to kill off any of their main characters. Filoni couldn't even kill off Ahsoka.

Pain and Suffering likes this.
  5. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Well,
    People were crazy to believe they'd kill Kanan halfway through the season, even if it was a mid-season finale.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean lol, people have been thinking
    Kanan was gonna be killed off stretching all the way back to season 1. I'll admit that some of these assumptions have a bit more weight now that we're in the final season, but yeah if it is gonna happen it won't be until the grand finale.

BigAl6ft6 and Vialco like this.
  7. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    If we don't get a scene of the Alliance getting X-Wings for the first time, what is even the point of this show?

8. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The starbird is older than Sabine. Chirrut Imwé wears a starbird pendant in Rogue One.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Master_Rebado likes this.
  9. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I seem to recall from one of the early preview clips for the season that Kanan said something to Ezra along the lines of "This is why we were meant to be Jedi, so we could be here now."
    I don't recall it being mentioned in any of the previous episodes, and unless this is a case of 'Never Trust a Trailer.' I'm afraid this will mean Kanan survives rescuing Hera, or at least meets up with Ezra again to say that line. Or maybe I'm just missing something.

10. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Yeah, her stylization is what is unique, and there are references to the Wren Starbird in reference books. Rebel Rising talks about the ancient legend of the Starbird.

RavagerFish likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hah,

Hera outwits Thrawn. He had a backup plan, but still.. ha!

No wonder he respects her most out of the Ghost crew.

Taalcon likes this.
  12. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    She also

somehow managed to fight off a Noghri Death Commando. I guess everyone eats their spinach on Ryloth.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  13. RavagerFish

RavagerFish Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2011

Good catch, thank you. I forgot that in the Visual Guide it is referenced as an "ancient symbol" that was "modified by the Rebel Alliance." I'm not really sure what that means, though—is Pablo saying the Rebel Alliance adopted the symbol but modified it? Because Chirrut's pendant looks the same as the Alliance Starbird despite presumably being much older.

Maybe Pablo should write an ancient art history book to go along with Propaganda. :p

14. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    It's also basically the symbol of the Jedi Order.

[​IMG]

It seems that it's an old symbol that gets modified and adopted by people - and that Phoenix Squadron has done it in their own way. I've always thought of it like the fleur-de-lis or a skull and crossbones.

15. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    It is weird, because B-Wings and even Y-Wings got big introductory episodes, so one would think a "steal the X-Wing prototypes" episode based off the old depictions of that event would be a natural fit.

WMIRTUTSF and TheRedBlade like this.
  16. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm appalled at the number of people who want Kanan to die.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  17. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

I don't want that to happen either but since everyone is taking Yoda's literal "Last of the Jedi" line from Return of the Jedi much more seriously in canon, it means Kanan is apparently doomed. Kanan isn't exactly a Jedi anyway, neither is Ezra. So their survival or death depends on what they'll do.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  18. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    It’s statements like this that make me realise people no longer show respect for the Sourcr material :(

Jedi Knight Fett and Vialco like this.
  19. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

Legends got away with it:
    - Kam Solusar
    - Empatojayos Brand
    - Vima-Da-Boda
    - K'Kruhk
    - T'ra S'aa
    - Quinlan Vos
    - Raichi Sitra

And from Yoda's POV, Luke is the last of the Jedi yes, but it doesn't mean all the Jedi are dead, they may have chosen to give up the Jedi title.

MercenaryAce and SWpants like this.
  20. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    For Kanan, and the way things seem to be going:

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yoda not counting Jedi who have "stepped off the path" by starting families, or ruling planets, or turning (even partially) to the Dark Side, accounts for most of those.

K'Kruhk and T'ra S'aa are possible exceptions to the "no longer acting like a Jedi" principle.

22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Poor excuses that just don’t work. Especially for an actual Jedi that’s now been retconned as being so prominent in the Rebellion. Him and Ezra (whose on Force Skype with Yoda) besides being forgettable characters are not simply contradicting the OT but actively cheapening it no ifs and not buts.

23. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

We'll just have to wait till early next year before we find out what happens to Kanan and Ezra then. We're allowed to speculate what happened so don't ****IN' attack us for hoping for something else other then what we know will happen so BACK OFF!

24. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Don’t give me that crap. I was disagreeing with you and giving my opinion. Deal with it

25. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The entry on Chirrut's pendant suggests it's a very old religious symbol imo.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BobaMatt likes this.