main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rey Parentage Thread (with new poll; see notes on page 2447)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by poundpuppy29, Dec 20, 2015.

?

Rey is?

Poll closed Dec 25, 2017.
  1. Luke Skywalker's daughter

28.4%
  2. Han and Leia Solo's daughter

11.2%
  3. A Kenobi

11.6%
  4. A Palpatine

6.7%
  5. A clone (of who?)

0.7%
  6. Unrelated to any characters we know

34.7%
  7. Related to someone else we know (state who)

3.4%
  8. Other

3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    I don't think Rey's a Versio. You back Disney into a whitewashing corner, where their only defense would be "Well, we didn't know at the time." And many would take that as a lie.

I personally find Skywalker (or Solo) the most exciting for the storyline. And I will fully admit that I would be more invested in her character if that's the way they go. I do not think it's a travesty to say that I would be more invested in a descendant of a character that's been on the screen for 40 years than someone who is not related to them and has been on the screen for 2 years. Not to say that I won't be interested in Rey Random, but her being related intrigues me more.

2. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Thing is... they should avoid calling Rey's random parents by name. Because it's gonna fall spetacularly flat on its face.

Kylo: "so Rey... turns out your parents are Del and Iden Versio"

The audience:

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, this one Star Wars aficionado whispers to his seatmate: "Oh... I think they are characters from a videogame. Not positive though".

Yeah, no. Just say they were ex-Imperials who did this and that, Rey ended up in Jakku because of X and call it a day.

3. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    2Cleva

Actually, aside from that one 4-issue comic set right after the Battle of Endor, even post-ESB Luke is off-limits.

And yet we’ve been told that Luke does indeed have a backstory, one that has “evolved” over the years.

Note that this is seperate and apart from the backstory Mark and RJ discussed during TLJ production.

2Cleva and nightangel like this.
  4. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002

Indeed.

It's hard to imagine someone else playing Luke Skywalker but they are having a Han Solo movie without Harrison Ford. The story of Luke post-ROTJ and pre-TFA is a more likely movie than anything regarding Obi-Wan. If there really was another Obi-Wan movie coming - they could have been announced that. But another Luke movie after his character is revealed in TLJ makes more sense. There is a 30 year gap for one of the greatest heroes in movie history just waiting to be told.

5. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    And now, back to Rey's parentage...

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Rey is Snokes daughter. He dropped her on Jakku the same way as he dropped his mother there

7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    30 Days away from OW and we are still absolutely clueless on the answer to who Rey’s parents are. Got to give The Mouse his due. When he turns off the spigot to spoilers, he really turns off the spigot to spoilers.

And between now and the movie opening, I am still saying she is Rey Stussey in honor of Fargo or Rey Dirt. :)

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  8. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    She's Rey Random until further notice.

jaqen likes this.
  9. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Rey being Versio's daughter would be great but Daisy is very white

oncafar likes this.
  10. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I think most who have cared to think about the question much don’t feel clueless, whether or notbwe actually are. :p

11. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    There's no way in hell Disney/LFL would retroactively whitewash Rey. Aren't people aware of the backlash that's caused in Hollywood? Some white dude just recently dropped out of a role because he was cast as Asian or something and the criticism was so pervasive that he dropped the role and apologized. Someone help me out here with the actor and project. See also "Aloha." Among other examples. Disney would not touch that controversy with a ten foot pole. End of story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

12. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    I would've hoped that rey would've gotten her mother's eyes.

JoJoPenelli likes this.
  13. HispAnakin

HispAnakin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 16, 2017

I so tire of this soft defense.
    i'm assuming you live in a small town in the middle of nowhere ville, that doesn't get allot of variety

Daisey can be 1/2 Asian 1/2 black 1/2 Latino 1/2 anything

The Rapper 'Logic' is 1/2 black and looks Caucasian

my sister is /1/2 Irish and Dominican and you'd see her and say 'she is very white' , people would think my Afro-Dominican mother was her 'nanny' it was offensive. 'Rey' can be any of a multitude of mixed races, to say 'she is 'very white' is ignorant

14. Knessa84

Aug 21, 2014

IRL ("I know someone who looks this but is this") doesn't apply to Hollywood casting. If the character is a minority, they should cast a minority. There are plenty of talented minority actors out there who can fill the role without having to go to a white actor who can "pass as." Studios that have failed to do this have suffered extreme backlash so I imagine Disney would want to avoid the same controversy. It's a business.

15. HispAnakin

Oct 16, 2017
    if they Di$ney soil Kenobi's name by having him sire a child, I just may stop being a fan. I don't think Disney is that stupid

16. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    All of this PC, SJW, LGBT, LBJ, NKOTBSB crap needs to end already.

What, white actors aren't capable of playing non-white roles? Really? Well tell that to Orson Friggin' Wells who cast the patriotic ape-puncher Charlton Heston to play a Mexican. Or maybe people need to be reminded that, through a rare and harmonious communion with their craft, some actors of legend were able to transcend their ethnicities and deliver performances of which only they were capable.

[​IMG]

17. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    The question, I believe, is not whether it would be “right” or “wrong” but whether Disney/LFL is likely to think that casting a white girl as a mixed-race character would stir up unwanted controversy and thus decline to go in that direction.

18. HispAnakin

Oct 16, 2017
    this film was released when we had segregation, not a good argument like at all.

2Cleva likes this.
  19. BB-8

BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 1, 2015
    It's precisely because Disney is not stupid that I would hope they understand that siring a child would not soil Kenobi's name.

It's barely been touched on. A lot can happen in 20 years.

20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If Rey is related we're going to see how Luke, Kylo, and possibly Leia react to that news. Seeing how they react will push and pull those characters in different directions. Seeing those ripple effects will be exciting and interesting.

On the other hand if Rey is a Kenobi we're obviously not going to see Kenobi's reaction and we're not going to get the reaction of her parents either. Same goes for if she's a Random or related to Palpatine. Those characters aren't going to be around to react to that news.

If I was a director I'd want to introduce a familial story for Rey that would give the actors something to play with. Rey Related would do that very well. Luke finding out that Rey is his daughter or niece is going to be far more powerful to him than if he found out that she's his former mentors granddaughter. Same goes for Kylo Ren and Leia. Seems like you'd want a backstory for Rey that would maximize the emotional impact it'll have on the other characters. If Kylo finds out that Rey is his sister or cousin he's going to flip. If he finds out that Rey is the daughter of two people he's probably never heard of but one of them is the secret love child of a guy that trained Luke...I don't think that's going to effect Kylo nearly as dramatically. At that point we're into Spaceballs territory. "Your dad is the son of the guy that trained Luke that my parents named me after" is not as pithy as "you're my cousin" or "you're my sister".

Also same goes for if Rey is the Chosen One 2.0. That's really going to limit what the reaction will be from the characters. I wouldn't see their reaction being more than a Keanu Reeves style, "whoa!"

21. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Dear brain surgeons:

Joke.

22. BB-8

BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 1, 2015
    That's a good point, but context is key. We don't know the significance that Rey's parentage will have to the overall story, nor why it will be significant, nor the context of the scene or event in which the reveal takes place.

23. Knessa84

Aug 21, 2014
    I had a reply typed out and everything then I realized...wait, this is so ridiculous it's a joke. I'm slow.

24. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002

Barely touched on? Everytime its mentioned its the same thing - Obi-Wan is doing his duty and waiting on Luke. Nothing else is happening with him. 20 years of waiting, hiding and studying the Force - just like Yoda. Nothing more is needed to be said.

What hasn't been touched is 30 years of Luke. He obviously has many of stories, from attempting to rebuild the Jedi, finding artifacts, fighting remnants of Empire, etc... But that's all job stuff - where is he personally? If/when its revealed Rey is his daughter - the relationship aspect of Luke can be dived into.

Obi-Wan already had that journey. Rejected it for duty. People may not like the answer but it is the canon truth.

We don't know what the context is but we do know it is relevant. That alone supports what Mustache is saying.

25. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Yeah I really don't think that Rey is the daughter of Iden and Del. I put aside how DR is white to consider it, but even considering it, it feels all wrong to me. If this story wasn't so close in time to TFA but took place 15 years ago and was the story of Del being hunted because people are looking for Iden and his daughter because his daughter has special Force powers, I would find this story significant. But as is, it seems to me that Iden and their daughter are together and alive. And I just don't think this has anything to do with Rey really.

The interesting link is that Iden and Del are connected with Jakku and Del is connected with LST (and earlier, Luke).

But Rey doesn't seem to connect to that anymore than to the Church of the Force on Jakku (to which she seemed to have no connection at all).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.