main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social In one year...

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Big Bad Yoda Daddy, Dec 14, 2016.

1. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Big Bad Yoda Daddy likes this.
  2. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

[face_laugh]

3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    grrrr

4. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Apparently you took the wind out of his sails too.

5. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
  6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Can ya'll believe we're already less than six months away from Episode VIII? I mean, it feels like R1 was just a couple months ago. Heck, it feels like the panel live stream at Celebration was just a couple WEEKS ago!

TheYodaPagoda and TCF-1138 like this.
  7. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    Definitely getting excited. I know it is still several months away, but I am already starting to develop plans on ensuring I see the midnight premiere. I make it a point of always attending these viewings as they are typically packed with true Star Wars fans; the atmosphere is just electric.

8. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Next month.. :)

9. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I've never gone to a "midnight showing."

I've heard it's an experience unto itself, but there are a few different reasons I don't. I always go opening weekend though. I had to wait till two weeks after release, to see ROTS for the first time, just cos of traveling and other things I had going on. It was unbearable!

I'm seeing TLJ on Sunday 11/17. I just have to avoid Facebook and internet...and generally...people, for that couple days. And I have a feeling that will be more important this time than ever...;)

TheYodaPagoda and B99 like this.
  10. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Spoiler free is key for me too!

11. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I "deleted" my Facebook for a couple days ahead of The Force Awakens, thought about doing the same thing for Rogue One...I guess one big difference between now and then is most people I know don't use Facebook that much anymore.

Hey, in a month, I'll be waiting to watch The Last Jedi later that evening! WOO! [face_party][face_dancing] [face_party]

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  12. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    TheYodaPagoda, I'm not sure how old you are. It's interesting to hear your peeps don't really do FB much anymore. I'm 36, and in my circle of fellow moms and dads with little kids, FB is THE platform for everything! :p

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  13. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    I'll be 42 next Friday. I should've prefaced that the Star Wars aficionados on my Facebook aren't posting nearly that much.
    I've never gone to a Star Wars midnite showing, and the last midnite showing I did attend was in 2002 for The Two Towers. I'm thankful for the 6-7 PM showings on the Thursday before, because I don't think my elderly bones could take those late-nite showings anymore.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  14. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    TheYodaPagoda, LOL I don't mean to date myself as well with all these other "youngin's" on here, :p but that also is one of my reasons for not doing the opening night showings. Nowadays, if I see a movie that has a start time at 8pm or later, I'm guaranteed to doze off at certain points of the movie! As you may know, that's what happens when your kids wake you up at 5:30 every morning, even on weekends! [face_tired] And if there's EVER a film I don't want to miss parts of, it's of course SW! I'm perfectly willing to wait 24-48 hours in order to ensure I'm awake and alert for that which is the film I've looked forward to most (by a landslide) for the last two years!

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  15. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm 39, and in Australia we'll be getting midnight showings on Wednesday night / Thursday morning. I just know I'll be fighting sleep during the film and then be a complete write-off the next day. No thanks.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    There's a special feeling in the air at midnight showings; probably because only huge fans can be bothered to stay up that late to go to the cinema. I actually love it. The midnight screening of ROTS is probably my favorite movie-going memory.
    However, at 31, I'm not too keen on staying up that late (especially since TLJ looks to be the longest SW movie to date) and the next day at work would be just awful.

But I guess I'm lucky in a way that I don't have to make the decision of whether or not I should go to the midnight screening, because there is no midnight screening of TLJ in Sweden. In fact, none of the recent SW movies have had midnight screenings here for some reason. Instead the movies have premiered at 10 in the morning. I have my tickets for the first 2D screening, which is at 2.15 in the afternoon.

DARTH_BELO and Artoo-Dion like this.
  17. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

I'm pretty sure that was my last real "midnight" showing. I mean, I love getting to have the crowd of the first showing, but at 7:00, which is a little bit more my speed. But man - I remember, after a long day, certain that I was seeing the last Star Wars movie ever (wild that we're about to watch a third new movie since!), and watching the opening sequence. That moment where Obi-Wan and Anakin fly over the Republic ship and into the Battle of Coruscant, I gasped and said out loud - "Holy $#!^!"

TheYodaPagoda and DARTH_BELO like this.
  18. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Big Bad Yoda Daddy, that was EXACTLY my reaction at seeing that opening shot as well! (I did that when I saw Yoda duel with a lightsaber in AOTC too.) [face_hypnotized]

These are really interesting insights you guys! I know you're not posting it for my sake necessarily, but thanks all the same. After reading all that, I'm pretty convinced I'm going to do what I can to get to the "midnight" (read: sometime opening night, between 7pm-12am) showing for Episode IX. That's true, what was said about the first few showings being special, as they are generally made up almost entirely by hardcore fans. Not sure I'll bother doing that with Solo, but it seems fitting to do that with the last Skywalker saga film!!

19. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    I'll pause scenes from that opening, and be amazed at all that's going on at once. I think there were a lot of gasping moments in ROTS, but I could hear a pin drop during the Order 66 sequence.
    Back just before the release of AOTC, in the SA there was a meme of sorts known as "Blue Yoda," where this guy said Yoda would turn blue in Episode III. When I finally saw Yoda in a hologram image from Kashyyyk, I said, rather giddily, "Blue Yoda!" so most of the theatre could probably hear me. I didn't care!

20. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I've seen two opening night showings of a Star Wars film, AOTC and TFA.

The thing is, my favorite place to catch new Star Wars films, the Ziegfeld here in NYC, closed down. Fittingly, TFA was it's last film. It was an old school, enormous, single screen theater that held a lot of premiers and always featured the best audiences for these kinds of films; enthused, committed and expressive. That was the kind of place for a true opening night experience.

I'm so looking forward to TLJ, but I am feeling a little lost as to where to see it.

21. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    jaqen, I had a theater just like that in my hometown in the Chicago area, a historic theater called The Tivoli. Everytime we'd see a movie there it was an event! (Not to mention it boasted the best movie theater popcorn I've ever had!) It's still there, although sadly I live in CO now.

I'll never forget the day I saw Jurassic Park for the first time there. I was in 7th grade, and I'd never seen anything like it before.

22. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Oh man, I was in middle school when I saw Jurassic Park too! What a time it was to be a kid back then!

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  23. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Jurassic Park was actually my favorite movie for years, until TPM came out and I gradually became the "hardcore SW fan" I am today...

jaqen likes this.
  24. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I had a slightly weird reaction to JP. I was blown away, completely. But I had just become a diehard SW fan either that year, or the year before. And I remember feeling super protective over Star Wars, and kept thinking "well this isn't as good as SW! And I hope it doesn't break SW record!".

LOL. The stupid things kids think.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  25. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    I read the Jurassic Park novel before seeing the movie and being incredibly excited to see it. I was a junior in high school, and we skipped class to buy tickets at the theatre for a later showing! Needless to say, I was disappointed. I kept thinking "Steve (Spielberg), is this really the best adaptation you could come up with??!?" I'll admit, the dinosaur effects were spectacular, and Jeff Goldblum as Ian Malcolm was a superb choice, but to this day I've only seen it once.

I remember opening day for The Phantom Menace, and the line going out the door. The Eastgate Theatre had the largest screen in Oregon, and it was my go-to for big movies. Interestingly enough, it was the same theatre we saw Jurassic Park at years earlier, and turned out to be the last big movie I ever saw there. They still had lines out the door three weeks later. Who else remembers that experience? I'll never see it again, in this multiplex era.