main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    For my SF novel, I've rewatched Titan A.E. Still really good visually. Quite simple scenaristically speaking, not a lot of punch lines, if any, but full of actions, fast paced, and enjoyable till the end.

I've also watched Passengers. Well, actors are not unforgettable in their roles, especially the girl (the same one as in Hunger Games I haven't seen yet).
    Scenaristically some good ideas altough I would have prefered the guy to be more psychopath. He was to nice... But the end is quite thrilling, even if quite predictable.
    The biggest pro is visually. Some scenes are really astounding. Worth watching it just for that I think.

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    So, I haven't seen Passengers, but I watched a youtube video on it (I know it had expletives, so I can't link it but it was called "Passengers, Rearanged"). But basically it said the movie (particularly the ending with the whole "he saves her/she forgives him/they fall in love) was annoyingly predictable because of the POV. It would have been MUCH better from her POV, then his intentions could have been much more ambitious (possibly painting him as a psychopath), and the writers could have had much more freedom with the ending (they suggest having him die, thus making her face the same decision he had to make in the start of the movie.

It's a good video to watch as a writer, even if you have never seen the movie

AzureAngel2 and yahiko like this.
  3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I enjoyed Passengers. I liked how he found himself in an unforgivable situation and then it became forgivable because doing what he did, in all actuality, probably saved her life. I guess it could have been filmed in her point of view, but that would make it more of a thriller than a space adventure. But it would make a great thriller. I am a sucker for happy endings, so I like how it was done.

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I haven't seen the movie, so not sure if this counts, but I like your take on it and I think there's nothing wrong with being predictable. Sometimes I just want to watch a pretty movie with a happy ending. But I think people were expecting more of a thriller than a space adventure.

But still, a great example on how POV can impact story tone.

Also, yes, my mother is weird, but I think my friend got some other offers on the piano front, so he isn't sure what he's going to do, so she might get what she wants after all.

Also, I didn't fall asleep last night till like 3AM, so when I got up this morning, I had a cup off coffee and now I am just jittery and having dark thoughts. I REALLY need to stop drinking caffeine.

5. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    I've just watched the YouTube video you mentionned and I'm glad to see my vague feelings have been shared and explained more clearly by other people.
    This is clear the atmosphere of the movie, the pitch was perfect for a thriller, if not a horror movie. But it is just a love story in the end. Not a bad one, but just a love story.

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    When I watched the ending of the movie Passengers I wondered...

If one of them survived the other what would happen? I assume the survivor would have gotten into the sickbay stasis cylinder. So there is a good chance that one survived the trip. Whether they survived as a middle aged person or elderly remains to be seen. I just thought that would have been interesting to see. I assume the writers want the viewers to believe they both lived to ripe old ages and died in each other arms.

yahiko likes this.
  7. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I haven't seen Passengers but i have heard that many apparently feel that it could have been much better.

And because it's thirty days until TLJ I have a theory video about who Rey's parents are.

I think he's wrong.

yahiko likes this.
  8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I had my job interview today and I think it went pretty well. I always do much better in person than on the phone (because I HATE the phone) so I was glad I got to meet them in person. I guess we'll see what happens from here.

I haven't seen Passengers yet, but yeah, I don't always mind predictable endings. I think it was Tim Zhan said at the writing panel at Celebration that you want your audience to be ahead of the characters or figure something out a little bit before you reveal it about 25% of the time. It make people feel good, I think movies probably ascribe to that as well. And I must say feeling like you predicted the ending is usually pretty satisfying.

9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Good luck with your job quest. I had a job interview two weeks ago. I got an email saying they have a few more interviews left before they make a decision. I figure I have a fifty-fifty chance. I know of three of us who applied. I think the other two people are probably a little better when it comes to working with people than I am. I have the most dependable record. One person is always late. The other person has a serious speech impediment...which I hope doesn't hurt her chances. I really like her. The late person is the one who pissed me off last summer. I don't know how this is going to go, but I figure there is a 100% hiring rate in the program, so I will pick up a job somewhere at some point.

Passengers could have ended a number of ways, but they decided on the happy ending. If it was a thriller then a death would be okay because you would have an evil person, but they didn't go that route. So the only satisfying ending was the way they went. I wonder if there is any Passenger Fanfiction. That might be an interesting read.

AzureAngel2, yahiko and Chyntuck like this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would add the Syfy miniseries Ascension as something that might be of interest for you in this endeavour (have not seen it myself but the summary made it sound like something like what you was looking for)

11. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Good luck on your job quest as well Jedi_Lover! [:D]

There are a few Passengers fanfics on AO3 and FF.N, though I don't know how much of that is overlap. I always find it so interesting what inspires fanfic and what doesn't. NCIS is one that I find really fascinating. I wouldn't think it would really be a big fanfic draw, but it is, there's TONS of NCIS fanfic. One of the things I love about AO3 is I can also see which ship is most popular within a fandom because I find that fascinating as well. So with NCIS Jethro Gibbs/Tony DiNozzo has waaayyy more fics than the next highest ship of Ziva/Tony. Obviously AO3 isn't the be all end all of fandom, but it's a good little slice of it that makes it easy to see that kind of stuff.

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I hope things went well in terms of potential new jobs Mav and JL!

I was having a major day of just self doubt and questioning my life decisions and how useless I'm being to humanity and the big problems I know I can't solve. It was not a great day and I'm blaming it on the caffeine. I finished another unit in my course and now I'm just trying to calm down and breathe and think about fanfiction.

It is really interesting what fandoms draw more fanfic than others. I was super surprised to see that West Wing has a pretty consistent fanfic base over on AO3, which is odd considering the show has been over for over 10 years.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    Just want to drop a note of support, positivity, and general "don't let the world get you down" to everyone; I had a minor health scare over the weekend (nothing horrible, just VERY annoying - I'd thought it was done last year, and there's no explicable cause, which is aggravating :mad:).

However, it made me realize how fortunate, comparatively, I really am, so - hang in there, and think happy thoughts. [face_party]

14. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Part of me thinks its the characters and their relationships that inspire people to write. Reading fics in other fandoms; that is what jumps out at me. A lot seems to be about characters and their interaction. Even something like NCIS or Bones or whatever, which are crime dramas; it's less about the crimes or solving the crimes and more about the people.

But it is interesting to go over there and see which fandoms are getting attention; even obscure films or TV shows have a few entries! Which is nice.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Goooo mavjade and Jedi_Lover - the selection processes are the most tiring thing EVER.

And hey, I want a job with 100% hire rate.

In other news, my first column for the magazine that I became the staff writer off was out earlier today. It's a piece about this place and how I met Findswoman and Raissa Baiard. [face_love] When the inspiration strikes, strange things happen.

So, yay! [face_peace]

Thank you. And same to you. I hope it was nothing serious. @};- Hope you become a regular in this thread. :D

What I think, too. Whatever is on TV or in books, people immediately look for characters to 'ship. Sometimes it puts me off, sometimes it's quite...curious.

*ahem* ;)

16. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Chyntuck - I hope the Greek flooding has not affected you.

17. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks :) And no, we didn't get floods where I live, just a lot, lot, lot of rain. But I was just watching the news and in the industrial area west of Athens it's pretty bad. In a town called Mandra they had a one-and-a-half metre deep torrent of red mud running through the streets and twenty people were killed. The weather people are announcing more thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow, and possibly a Mediterranean cyclone in the next few days :eek:

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Dear dear Chyntuck -- stay safe. [:D] [face_praying] In the U.S. & Puerto Rico, we definitely see the devastation a serious weather event can cause.

AzureAngel2, Chyntuck and Lady_Misty like this.
  19. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I've had more than a few days like that recently, so I know how crappy that can feel. [:D] Try not to let it get you down.

Yeah I was quite shocked how many people still write West Wing fanfic, but I guess it's had a resurgence from being on Netflix and The West Wing Weekly. But I've seen that happen with other shows that don't have a podcast. I think I've said it before but Queer As Folk (the US version) has a pretty happening fandom still and it's been off the air for 12 years.

Yeah, that's probably true, the relationships between the characters is what drives it (I mean relationships in every sense of the word, not just romantic ones). And yeah, most of the NCIS fanfics seem to be about the people, not the crime. I guess good characters make for good fic.

Pretty much any time I get into a new show/book series, I go see if people are writing fic about it just to see even if I don't particularly want to get involved with it, just because I'm interested. Even theater has fanfic, and as you might imagine, Hamilton has a LOT.

Onderon1 - Eek! I hope you are doing well now! *hugs*

AzureAngel2 and Mistress_Renata like this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I took wanted to ask you if all is well, Chyntuck, relieved that it is.

I'll just leave this here. :D Not many us Europeans in the thread, but yeah. And wait, how to annoy people from Montenegro, Albania, Iceland and Finland? Are they tougher than the rest of us, or do they simply not exist or something? [face_thinking]

[​IMG]

Also, it's pretty easy to annoy the Ukrainians. We know what hurts most and what will hurt forever. :( #iamobsessed

21. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I know a man that spent two years in Ukraine oh, he went when I was about twelve and came back when I was fourteen and you can do the rough math to get how long ago that was. He really enjoyed his time there and his backpack came back smelling of a cheap meal that he was advised not to eat so he and his companion distracted the family by asking them about something in the room and dumped their plates into his backpack after emptying it into his companion's backpack only to get a refill. [face_laugh]

But it's really annoying when people make jokes about your homeland in an effort to be funny or smart. Other times they are apparently completely serious in their ignorance. :mad::kylo::kylosaber:

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  22. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    That's what I assumed happened. I thought the film worked well.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  23. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I couldn't get past the fact Chris Pratt's character was basically a stalker. Condemning another person to death just because you don't want to be alone...J bleeping C.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  24. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    It's pouring. And by that I mean pouring. Every street around my office in downtown is under 30 cm of water and they're announcing on TV/radio that people shouldn't go out. In a place between Athens and Thebes the surge was such that a car found itself on a balcony.

That Chinese hoax called climate change somehow feels very real right now.

mavjade , Lady_Misty, Gamiel and 3 others like this.
  25. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Sounds like a washout.

AzureAngel2 likes this.