main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Battlefront II: Campaign Content (spoiler tags required for DLC story)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I today decided against purchasing it because I found out how short the campaign is. Most stories of that length only cost about $15. I realize all the added material makes the game worth a full $60 but when I'm not really interested in all that added material I just can't bring myself to pay that much for what I personally am going to get out of it.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's hard to justify full price for the short campaign, yeah. I think it's a wonderful story but that's only one component of the game.

That said, I'd be happy if arcade mode were expanded to include starfighter battles and bot versions of MP game modes.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

AusStig and Taalcon like this.
  3. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Yea very much in the same camp with purchasing. I simply don't have the internet or stomach to pay for online play on Xbox so will wait for at least 6 months to pick this up. Also there may well be a Gold Edition or ultimate package with all DLC on disc for story mode

like what was said with Rax, I had hoped on Bespin we got to see Governor Adelhard after he was.mentioned by name. I did scream a bit when I heard that. Remember Uprising is defunct now for over 12 months! A great reference

Dr. Steve Brule and LelalMekha like this.
  4. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I'll pay the full price for this game once all the singleplayer content is unlocked after TLJ. I don't buy that it's not finished and they're going to release it as DLC.

Re: Op Cinder

Pettiness was exactly what it was. The Emperor wanted to punish his Empire for allowing him to die. He wanted his Empire to die with him, and for a new Empire to be born from the cinders. It would help get rid of anybody but the truly die hard Imperials who would go on to create the new empire. Operation Cinder was part one, the Battle of Jakku was part two. The disloyal and weaklings of the empire would either defect or die, leaving the most loyal imperials for the new empire.

masterskywalker likes this.
  5. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Between its disappointing length and the loot box ****storm, I'm starting to be glad I forgot to preorder the thing.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm inclined to think Operation: Cinder didn't cause that much chaos in the Imperial ranks as the majority of the galaxy will view Alderaan as the atrocity which broke the camel's back. The fact it didn't persuade the majority of the Imperial military doesn't mean it's going to be anything but a footnote in the history of the galaxy. After all, there was enough of a military to smash at Jakku that the Empire didn't wither away like in Legends but was destroyed militarily.

BobaMatt likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    In the midst of the bigger PR crapstorm I've ever seen over a game, it is quite something - even the Telegraph's carpet-bombing them - the story campaign might be the one thing that gets praised!

AV-6R7 likes this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    One can hope that LFL will rethink their video game strategy when it comes to Star Wars...

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    How much sway does LFL have over this? Could they have ordered EA to drop the whole loot box progression system?

10. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I doubt it. But i'm sure they can have some strong words about their likelihood to renew their license. If LFL sees mass outrage at a game with their brand, they might think twice about giving EA the keys to their kingdom.

Ghost and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    This isn't a Star Wars issue but an EA issue and a larger issue across the industry.

Nickle and diming has destroyed video games.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was broken into two games so they could insert a multiplayer element where you could buy equipment via microtransactions. Except, NO ONE PLAYED IT, and the sequel (actually the second half of the game) was cancelled.

Kev-Mas_Colcha and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    They need to ditch EA

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's also where it goes from there.

EA is the leading contender, in terms of what's going wrong in the industry (along with their tendency of buy-studio-then-kill-it), but Activision, Ubisoft and Square Enix aren't far behind nor are there that many developers able to produce games on this scale.

It's not as easy to solve as it appears. (see Charles' post too)

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I wonder if it would be possible to get legislation on this to ban or severely limit microtransactions. Or could there be another way?

Kev-Mas_Colcha and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I'm actually OK with EA using the Star Wars License.

I'm not OK with EA being the ONLY STUDIO to use it. There are so many talented studios out there that would be perfect for the license. 4A Games, Arkane, Creative Assembly, Eidos, etc. If EA/DICE makes more games, i'd be open to that. But having multiple studios working on games means they'll have competition in the market for them, and they'll have to step up to ensure good sales. It also means more games for us.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I want to know about the actual facts underneath the rhetoric.

What's the cost of developing a game? What cut are executives taking? Do retail prices adequately pay for real development costs? Etc.

It's the difference between nickle and diming to pay your employees for their work and doing it to pad your executives and shareholders' bottom line.

Given EA I'm willing to think it's the latter, but enough game devs have mentioned the sustainability issue that I wonder. But then I also wonder if the issue is costs or failure to adequately pay people.

I don't know enough to have any answers.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Mia Mesharad, Jedi Ben and Ghost like this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The big issue there is the US authorities recently said they do not see loot boxes as being gambling, due to you always get something, albeit not necessarily what you wanted. It was felt to be a weak argument. (Especially if parents have their cred cards linked to their kids PSN accounts.)

Not sure if the UK version has weighed in on this yet.

(By themselves, I don't particularly object to microtransactions, so long as they are an optional extra. I do object to being asked to pay £x for a box of undetermined content, which I only see after purchase.)

18. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017

The issue is less game DEVELOPERS than it is game PUBLISHERS.

We've seen that developers are capable of putting out high quality AA content, ala Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. The issue is publishers mandating the inclusion of these things to increase the bottom line.

https://geekreply.com/opinion-piece...ut-microtransactions-in-future-games-horrible

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a806649/did-square-enix-force-microtransactions-into-deus-ex/

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel...nsactions-and-games-as-a-live-service-w511755

Notice these are all publishers and not developers.

19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'm just starting Fondor, but so far I am LOVING this game. :D

Seeing the Battle of Endor expanded on is such a treat. All these years, we've boring as hell Hoth expanded on. So nice to learn about the larger engagements on the ground.

Also- is it just me, or are those MC80 Liberty-type star cruisers beyond gorgeously rendered? I was not a great Imperial, I wanted to follow them and examine them as opposed to fight Rebel fighters! [face_laugh]

--Adm. Nick

Daneira likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Outsourced presumably the contract the publishers have with the developers has some relationship to sales? Or who knows, maybe it doesn't and retail revenues are irrelevant. But at some point there's a connection between the developer and the publisher in valuating the product and remunerating the work that went into it.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Edit AdmiralNick22 did you notice the red stripes that your regular TIE/ln had? Pretty awesome.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I've done a lot of research on the subject and a big thing is it is about halfway both ways. The expenses for Triple A game development have gotten bigger and bigger over the years. However, the result has been the costs getting cut primarily by overworking the staff, outsourcing the development of games to foreign country, and taking chunks out of the games to sell as DLC.

Which also happened with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

The irony being no one really WANTS these HUGE HUGE games but the developers....to sell microstranactions.

22. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003

Yeah, those red strips were a VERY nice touch. Nice little nod to everyone's favorite EU Imperial squadron. ;)

--Adm. Nick

23. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    The point of a soldier's-eye-view story is that you don't see every single detail of a battle. Those things were canonically present, but the player never comes across them.

24. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Edgar Allen Poe Dameron Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Hello I have a question that I hope hasn't been touched on. I've yet to read Inferno Squad but its on the top of my reading list. Should I stay away from youtube videos about the story mode in Battlefront II? In essence, is the Inferno Squad novel and the story in Battlefront II one and the same?

25. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    No. The novel is a prequel taking place (mostly) directly post-Yavin.