main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Battlefront II: Campaign Content (spoiler tags required for DLC story)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They are separate stories that each stand alone.

However, it is my opinion that the novel makes the plot of the game much stronger by providing context and character insights. It's like how Catalyst really helps for Rogue One.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

2. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    the story for this game sounds so cool, I kind of wish I was a video game person. maybe if I get a new computer some time next year.

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Ok just finished watching a no commentary playthrough off of youtube. After seeing the entire story

Man am I glad I did not dish out sixty bucks for this thing. The story isn't bad per se but it definitely does not flow very well. You really have to be up to date with all the books and comics to have a real good idea what is going on (or at least have read Shattered Empire and the Aftermath Trilogy).

There is very little explanation for the purposes of their next missions. Basically once you get done with one mission there is a very short cut scene that tells you what you will be doing next (that doesn't say much more than where you will be going next). None of the members of Inferno Squad receive much character development at all throughout the game. Again it seems like you are almost being expected to read the Inferno Squad book in order to be able to put any depth to Iden, Del, or Gideon. If you go strictly by the game all these three are are one dimensional characters with the only purpose for even being in the story is because you need a character in the game in order to play out your next mission. This in my opinion really harms two of the characters because they make a decision during the course of the story that is difficult to buy into since they received so little development. The lack of in game development won't be a problem for people like us who like to keep up on most things within the Star Wars universe but those who want to just jump into the game without reading all that extra stuff will have a very difficult time getting into this story in my opinion.

The game really could have benefited a lot from another hour of cut scene footage. The scenes that they showed us prior to the game being released were easily the most lengthy cut scenes throughout the entire game
    All in all the campaign mode would be well worth it if it was packaged separately with a $15 to $20 price tag. But not 60 bucks. Not at all. Anyone who is strictly interested in just the campaign mode should probably not pay that much money for it.

JediBatman likes this.
  4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Maybe, but since I doubt the force to match the size of the empire's head on in less than a year, I would think that most likely a lot of imperials defected, deserted, or surrendered without a fight before Jakku.

Probably many had doubts since Alderaan but didn't think there was any choice but the empire until after Endor.

That reminds me of the old Force Commander game, where after the shield goes down the rebels start landing ground troops to reinforce the commandos.

(Though remembering said game makes me sad that there wasn't a liberation of Coruscant in the new canon. It just doesn't feel final without storming the palace.)

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Too soon. :(

6. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Can we really say that Jakku WASN'T a part of Cinder? In other words, not so much divided into parts one and two as it is they're both the same thing?

Ghost likes this.
  7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    To your point about it seeming disjointed, a lot of the initial Imperial missions are under the purview of Operation Cinder, and the characters don't know why they're doing them either.

To your point about needing EU background info to really understand the story: Man oh man did you just make me hope desperately that they keep issuing downloadable campaigns based on EU material.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Or perhaps Operation Cinder was just Part One of the Contingency.

9. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    So how else Loved Shriv? I thought he was great and really played off lando well.

I also liked the ending with the admiral, how he chose to go down with his ship

10. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Also, Han's informant drinking Merenzane Gold.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  11. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I just watched some videos posted on youtube for Battlefront II

The Kylo Ren stuff was quite interesting to me. "Project Ressurection" That has my attention. Plus Luke specifically taking that Compass on Pillio. He mentioned that he was looking for something, so I wonder where he learned about it originally [//spoiler].

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Note:

The December story continuation is called Battlefront II: Resurrection.

13. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Ah okay

14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I loved the Kylo Ren stuff at the end, and I wonder if that's meant to be a canonical sort of representation of how he experiences his memory invasions, because...it's sort of flow-walking, at least as it was initially depicted.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I realize they want to continue to make money off this game but I think future stories of characters in this game would be much better served to be told in novel form. I don't think EA is real good at story driven content.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's free.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

17. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Ahh ok. So will it be a couple weeks still before we can talk freely about the game and not worry about spoiler tags?

18. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Walter Williams is a frigging god at storytelling but this is his worst story ever.

I wonder if he was hemmed in by higher ups.

But yes, my reaction to the story is in simple terms....incredibly disappointed.

Axrendale likes this.
  19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    CT Phipps' story review

Basically, they did the most absolute blandest thing possible they could have done with this story, effectively imitating Finn's story with the Inferno Squadron and also not touching on anything related to the First Order. The story was also four hours long so it was over before it began and we don't even follow Iden for the whole of it.

I would have been interested in the story much more if they'd stuck with her being a wrongheaded Imperial fanatic and maybe have to deal with one of her squadron defecting while the other didn't. Instead, her loyalty to the Empire evaporates as soon as it's HER planet endangered. I'm actually struggling to find things to say about the story because there's not much to say. Everything here is basically inconsequential to the larger Star Wars canon. There's no new revelations, no new factions, no new anything.

It's all just cherry picked from the existing canon, which wasn't that great to begin with.

Ben09, Landb, La Calavera and 4 others like this.
  20. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I think they are still really handcuffed at this point in regards to how much story they can tell. There is a reason why pretty much all but the last ten minutes of the game took place inbetween Endor and Jakku. But that is still no excuse for the lack of development they had for the characters. Without the Inferno Squad novel you know next to nothing about any of the three even by the end of the campaign. I think they had a real limited budget for the campaign content and that is why the cutscenes were as sparse as they were. I just looked at the total amount of cutscene time they had for the Last of Us DLC called Left Behind. It had an hours worth of cutscenes and it was only about a four or five hour game as well. I'd imagine this Battlefront game had about twenty minutes worth of cutscenes (maybe not even that).

Edit....Just looked it up. It had 37 minutes worth of cutscenes.

21. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011

I think this is what we're supposed to be coming to the conclusion to...at least this is how I've been thinking of the Contingency.

The Contingency is the overarching goal, like the Invasion of Normandy. It is a plan to ultimately eradicate the Rebellion, cull the Empire of its greatest weakness, and throw the galaxy into a great chaos. Off the top of my head (because WW2 is too easy to go to for reference) I think of the Normandy invasion. That was the overarching plan, but in order to achieve that goal the Allies had to enact several different operations in order to achieve that goal.

Now, it's not a direct comparison, because the overarching plan of the Contingency could only really be known by two people (one who is ultimately dead), so what the Imperials were doing was a galactic level Scorched-Earth policy rather than a true blue military operation, but Operation Cinder was definitely a small part of the Emperor's revenge.

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    My interpretation of the Contingency is that Palpatine didn't want to rebuild the Empire at all.

The Empire part in the Unknown Region was Rax's plan to embezzle a little of the Empire for himself. Similar to Sate Pestage and the Citurec Hegemony.

Except, Sloane did it and made it the First Order.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  23. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I think the Emperor wanted to eradicate all but the strongest members of the Empire. His goal was for them to come back eventually and form an even stronger Empire than before.

24. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    It was super surprising to me that it just went "Decades later..." instead of giving us a few missions spread throughout those decades, tracking the rise of the First Order. I do think the easiest explanation is they're planning to release missions around TFA and TLJ, and that their hands are still tied about some of the intervening stuff.

25. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Then why did he BDZ the loyal people of Vardos and then go after Naboo? I get Naboo, but if your theory holds true, then why Vardos, which was an incredibly pro-Imperial planet?

I think Palpatine literally wanted the galaxy to burn out of spite. The allies that had failed to protect him and the enemies that managed to defeat him. He even says as much in Aftermath.

MercenaryAce likes this.