main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    A good question. Personally I don't think they will. Following the same design asthetic could invite all sorts of comparisons that they may not want fans to think about. Also they may want to establish their own style. It's a really difficult one though because at this point the movie design is so great it would be a shame not to...

Gamiel likes this.
  2. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I believe this is not only the beginning for the prequel tv show but also more movies too. I almost certain we will get more tv shows too in the distant future too. But we gotta see how this prequel turns out. Maybe we can get some sequels to the Lord of the rings Maybe peter jackson can come back or del toro can do a ty or movie project based upon the. silmirallion.

Somehow I knew more middle earth is coming back. In a matter of time it wasn't if but when. Thank you tolkien estate.^:)^[face_praying]

3. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    They should divert more valuable resources towards an adaptation of something else. Children of Húrin, The Silmarillion, etc. Adapting The Lord of the Rings trilogy through a television series is a fool's errand, in my opinion.

4. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    MrZAP likes this.
  5. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002

They are already going to make a new tv show within middle earth set before the events of lord of the rings with the blessings of the tolkien estate.

6. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Other than Tom Bombadil stories I am actually really curious as to what the hell this is all about?

7. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I'm ok as long as nobody else plays Arwen.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So with New Line and WB behind it they can use the LotR / Hobbit movie designs. So if they wanted to make it seem like this is an adjunct to the Jackson films, it could be, aside from actually doing LOTR again. The press release seems to stress new stories before Lord of the Rings. So it sounds like a prequel. But if this is set in between Hobbit and LotR isn't that a lot of Biblo sitting around, Gollum running around, Sauron building his army in secret, etc.

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    what about kate beckinsale?

TX-20, Sarge, yankee8255 and 3 others like this.
  10. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Sounds basically like it's going be a similar thing to the Shadow of... series. It's got close analogues to the film designs, and is set between Hobbit and LOTR.

The only thing is where it's going to be set, and who the main characters will be. It could be an Aragorn series, he's about the only major book character moving and shaking in this time, besides the wizards.

BigAl6ft6 and cwustudent like this.
  11. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I'm with you. I'll probably check it out out of curiosity, but I think there's a decent chance that it'll suck, and even if it doesn't I'm not sure it's even a good thing for there to be more adaptations... especially if they're making up new stories.

Sarge likes this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No thanks.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    why not?

14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Liv is Arwen, nobody else is close.

I don't think recast or remake LotR is a good idea, better to make different era's story.

cwustudent likes this.
  15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    as long as you don't think she's too old. but i think the different era thing is what they're doing anyway. and if someone ever did do a faithful adaptation of lotr arwen would be in it for ten seconds tops.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The change they did to Arwen was great, in the novel she was hardly a character, in the movie she was brave and wise.

cwustudent likes this.
  17. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Way back when, my two biggest disagreements with the casting were Liv Tyler as Arwen and Bernard Hill as Theoden. I just thought that Liv wasn't quite the right fit (she hadn't really ever played a role like this and seemed too 'modern') but ultimately didn't mind because her role is pretty small (and even smaller in the final versions!). In the case of Bernard he didn't seem old enough for Theoden, influenced as I was by the Bakshi version and most of the art; he was subsequently great in the role, however, and perhaps one of my favourites (his death scene is heartbreaking).

Sarge likes this.
  18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    You never watched Onegin right?

19. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Well this could be interesting.

I read over at TheOneRing.net that the rights to the Silmarillion is NOT a part of this deal.
    So I would guess that includes the other books published after Tolkien's death.
    With CT's dislike of any adaption of his father's work that does not surprise me.

The Estate is apparently involved so I wonder what they have given up for the money that they got?

The LotR book includes some appendix that gives a very brief overview of other events.
    So based on that they COULD do a series about the making of the Rings.
    But a lot of the details they would not have the rights to.
    In one of the Hobbit films, Gandalf mentions the Blue Wizards but not their names. Because they did not the rights to use the names.

So it could be possible that the Estate can agree that they make a series about the making of the rings and that they are allowed to use names and events from the Sil but without selling the rights wholesale.
    But that is just a guess.

What will they do?
    It sounds like they won't do a remake of the LotR book, which is probably a good idea. Doing that would likely just invite comparisons.

Some have mentioned a young Aragorn series.
    That could work, he did travel around a lot and they could go to places not shown in the films.
    They would have to invent a lot for the series as what they have isn't exactly a lot.

A series dealing the fall of Arnor has been mentioned too and that has potential.
    You could have a singular villain in the Witch-King and a lot of intrigue and plotting.
    If they want a dark tone, this could do that as Arnor is pretty much destroyed and most of it's people dead.
    Of course the Witch-King could invite comparisons with GoT and the Nights King.

A third possibility is as I've mentioned, a series about the creation of the Rings and then the fall of Numenor and culminating in the Battle of the Last Alliance.
    I doubt they would start with this as part of this would likely be fairly expensive and they might only do this after the series has been showed to work and have an audience.

In all, the potential is there for something good but also a lot of pitfalls.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

TX-20 and laurethiel1138 like this.
  20. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Nope. Any good?

I don't think anything could be worse than 'fan fiction' Tolkien. The LOTR and Hobbit adaptations were least successful when they went off script (hence the Hobbit being mostly awful), so the idea of them doing an entire series off any kind of script is worrying.

Rew and Sarge like this.
  21. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    A Making of the Rings series seems very feasible, as Celebrimbor, ringmaker, is a major character in the Shadow Of... series, which also has the same restriction on Silmarillion rights, so this new show should be fine to use the same concepts.

There are a few flashback scenes in the games showing the forging of the rings, Annatar's (not named as such) corruption of Celebrimbor, and some stuff with Shelob too (though that gets weird because Shelob is personified as a normal human female in the second game which is... really odd).

As for Numenor, that would be my ideal adaptation. It's a pretty much completed narrative, present in the Appendices as well the Sil, can act as an effective prequel to the downfall of Gondor, gets to include fan favourite villain Sauron, and some other minor characters like Isildur and Elendil. It would be excellent for a series, as the events take place sort of episodically over a few years.

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  22. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    That was her best performance and was with Ralph Fiennes. She is the perfect choice for Arwen and besides, the novel Arwen was nothing but "the hero's love interest", the movie did a much better job.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't know that it did a "better job". it's not like arwen was a flat character in the novel that needed work, she simply wasn't part of the story. jackson, walsh and boyens injected her into the story line in what i thought was pretty transparent, if not cynical attempt to appeal to a wider, modern audience. but as far as unnecessary alterations to classic works of literature go it was fine.

Sarge likes this.
  24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    She was simply "Aragorn's love interest", willing to give up her immortality for her man, nothing more.

In the movie, she was so brave and strong, saving Frodo from freaking 9 Nazgul and most of her suggestions were wise.

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    it's more like in the book she wasn't a character (she's talked about more the appendixes than in the actual text), and in the movies she was. it's like if someone went back to a new hope and added a bunch of scenes with biggs darklighter where he is super cool and brave and wise. i guess you could say that would be doing "a better job" with the character but others might question if it's necessary.

26. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    In the appendixes she was also simply a love interest.

As for your suggestion, I wouldn't mind it if it doesn't damage other characters. And we need badass female roles .