main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Which Star Wars era did you grow up in?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by basiloregano3004, Dec 9, 2016.

?

Which SW era did you grow up in?

1. 1977–1983: The Original Trilogy era

27.2%
  2. 1984–1990: The Calm era

11.7%
  3. 1991–1996: The Thrawn trilogy/EU jumpstart/pre-Special Edition VHS era

12.2%
  4. 1997–2007: The Special Edition/Prequels/OG Clone Wars multimedia project era

40.0%
  5. 2008–2014: The New Clone Wars era

7.8%
  6. 2015–present: The Disney/Force Awakens era

1.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    The mid-90s. My brother and I were huge collectors of the Power of the Force toy line. We would have our grandma take us to stores at opening to see any new ones that came out. We'd constantly buy those old toy magazines that showed how much each is worth and would keep meticulous track of our collection. Then obviously the re-releases were a big thing, even though we had been fans prior to their release and had owned and watched the OT on VHS before that. I remember sitting in my room at a very young age and trying to actually use the force to lift things and bring things to me. I would watch SW movies and would simultaneously use these hobby type wood sets not for their intended use but to build mock ups of Star Destroyers as best as I could. Shadows of the Empire (the game, book, toys, soundtrack) came out when I was 10 and was also hugely popular, so that was something I had immersed myself in as well, which also got me into anything Bounty Hunter related. Which then got me into some of the expanded universe books, although I wasn't nearly as into them as others had been. Actually, I'm more into them now than I was when they were first produced. Anyways, that was my childhood. Then as I got into middle school TPM became all the rage, so my brother and I sort of turned to that as our new focus for a while.

I guess that about sums up which era I grew up in, if we're being specific about it. When AOTC came out I was already in high school, so I guess that's the first SW era outside of my growing up.

Master_Lok likes this.
  2. jarjarbinksthegungan

jarjarbinksthegungan Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2017
    I grew up in the prequel trilogy/Clone Wars era.

3. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    I think I'm one of the youngest here. 1999

4. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Though I never really started paying attention to Star Wars till sometime after ROTS was made, I grew up with TCW, so I would say the PT era. The first non-animated movie I saw in theatres was TFA.

The OT era will always be my favourite, though. A younger me couldn't understand why people preferred the OT over PT, but as I aged I grew an appreciation for the classics and for something outside flashy lightsaber duels.

Master_Lok and Sarge like this.
  5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The Calm era. That’s why I’m at peace with it all [face_peace]

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I was born in 1986, and was first introduced to Star Wars around 1989-1990, by playing with my cousin's old Star Wars toys. I then played Super Star Wars on the SNES in 1993, which is what really started me off on the fandom path. Then in 1994, the movies were shown on television. I only saw the first five minutes or so of ANH before my mom told me I couldn't watch it because - and I quote - it was a "horror movie" ( [face_laugh] ). However, I managed to convince her to let me watch TESB and ROTJ when they were shown. When I saw those films, I was hooked. A few weeks later, The Battle for Endor was shown on TV, and I watched that and loved it as well.
    I didn't get to see ANH until about a year later, when I got it on VHS.

As for which era I grew up in... well, I'd consider myself as a part of the Thrawn Trilogy/EU-jumpstart/pre-Special Edition VHS generation, but I started out in The Calm era, and was still a teenager when ROTS was released, so - all three of those I suppose?

Though, I could be in the Disney era as well, as I don't consider myself entirely grown-up even now. :)

7. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Proud to say I’ve been there since the beginning. My dad took me to see SW and I remember riding my bike to the movie theaters to binge watch ESB. Then had to wait almost 20 years to get the PTs. Hated TPM and PT in general. So a decade later comes TFA which I like an RO which I love.

Yep SW has come a long ways......

Sarge likes this.
  8. Blargxcntrl

Blargxcntrl Jedi Padawan

Nov 27, 2016
    Born in 1991, I grew up in the Prequel era, being 8 when the Phantom Menace debuted. Before 1999 though, I had seen the OT more times than I could remember. Every time we would go rent videos (probably every other week or so), I'd either pick one of the OT films or 3 Ninjas Kick Back.

Grew up in the Prequel era, but grew up on the OT.

Master_Lok likes this.
  9. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    On the border of the OT era and the great calm. Saw Episode V in theaters and RotJ was the movie event of my childhood. However I was too young to have seen ANH when it was released and only saw it during TV reruns when I was growing up.

10. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I chose the 1991-1996 era as this was the period when I really started to explore Star Wars, though I was also around during the calm era. In some ways, I regret that I was born during the original trilogy era and missed out on the thrill of seeing these movies during their first cinematic release.

At the same time, I think that I was very lucky to be a young Star Wars fan in the early/mid 90s. I enjoyed the pre special edition VHS releases (I remember receiving these on one particularly happy Christmas morning). I also remember there being a lot of Star Wars novels to choose from, it seemed as if they were being published as fast as I could read them. Although we didn't have any movies to look forward to, it felt as if Star Wars was undergoing a kind of renaissance because of the expanding EU and VHS releases.

11. Darth_Vader1972

Darth_Vader1972 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    Grew up in the OT era. I was not quite 5 years old when A New Hope was released.

12. Jabberwock2137

Jabberwock2137 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    1977 changed my 8 year old world for ever......

13. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    Man, im in this awkward era...

My earliest SW memory is my older cousin going to see ROTS when i was 8, I've never seen any cartoons and my first SW in theaters was TFA.

I have of course seen all the movies and played alot of the games (Such as KOTOR, 3/4 of the Battlefronts and the force unleashed among others).

14. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2017
    I was born in September 1989, so I grew up in the prequel era. I can just vaguely remember watching TPM for the first time.

15. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    My first Star Wars experience was the VHS tapes and my first Star Wars theatrical experience was the Special Editions. The squeals to the OT to me were Dark Forces and Jedi Knight.

16. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    “Great calm” LOL!

17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I put down 1991-1996. My first real experience with Star Wars was with the Rebel Assault II PC game. I watched a friend play through it one evening, and I was instantly hooked. I was around 9 or 10 at the time.

18. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Born in '78.

Would watch whenever on TV, and I cant remember how many times I rented from the local rental store (pre-Blockbuster). Picked up the re-mastered VHS in HS as it came out in the theaters again. So all my life. My wiffleball bats would be lightsabers.

19. 1997-2007 era for me

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  20. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    Not kidding...my earliest memory was watching Star Wars IV at a drive in movie theater in the back of my parents Chevy Concourse.

[​IMG]

21. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Prequel Era, was 5 when TPM was released. Still have faint memories of it.

22. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    this place is full of younglings. ;)

23. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    All the eras... was a youngling in 77 & OT, and had a great time as an “adult” during the PT. Am content to play in those eras while SW continues onward.

24. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Born in '73. 1977 changed my life forever.

25. KamenSentaiMetalHero

KamenSentaiMetalHero Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2017
    I was born in 2000, but as a kid when I heard about Star Wars it was the OT I thought about, so I was confused when TCW came out but AOTC was the first movie I watched and starting in middle school, I really became a fan. I guess the prequel era, the clone wars era, and the current era would be for me.(I'm 17)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.