main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Darth Maul's real name

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darklordoftech, Oct 4, 2012.

1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    So did Supershadow.:p
    ((and IIRC, he got it from some foreign Wiki))

2. Tinwe

Tinwe Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    This is something I was trying to address in my previous post. Sometimes a novel and its translation(s) are released worldwide at the same time – which means that the translators of that novel may be translating from a rough script. As such, the script can include elements that will be dropped from the finished product.

This could be why the name "Khameir Sarin" is allegedly found in some of the foreign translations of the The Phantom Menace (though I'd still like to know which ones). It may have been present in Terry Brooks's rough script of the novel as Maul's real name, but got nixed in the final version. The translators however not having the final script to work on (and presumably not enough time to compare their translation with the finished novel before the translation was published), the name stayed in the novel's translation.

In this case "Khameir Sarin" wouldn't be a translation of "Darth Maul," but a unique name that the translations kept while it was dropped from the final version of the original novel. It's unlikely, but it could happen.

I hope I was able to ease your confusion a bit, Zorrixor. :)

3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Those things are known to happen, after all. For example, the databank in the French version of the video game Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds contains exclusive information about the Gungan culture. It mentions gods who appear nowhere in the English text.

4. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    It wasnt answered on Rebels either, so Megan got gypped sadly. But it was confirmed it was not his real name:

Maul: Real name? Yes, I once had a real name.
    So long ago, I don't remember.
    Now, now I am called Maul.

In Darth Maul #2 , Darth Maul uses an alias Seris Madreth. Whether he used his real name or a variant of it, there or not who knows.

5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    The NJO is a train.

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    At last this thread reveals itself to the Jedi Council Forums. At last it will have its revenge.

7. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    His name was Robert Paulson...

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Honestly considering what Maul's brothers' real names were, don't expect too much from Maul's real name. Maul's brothers were Feral and Savage Opress. So what's Maul's real name? Ferocious Opress?

We probably aren't missing much. If anything, it will very likely be a let down like when we all found out Palpatine's first name was Sheev.

BigAl6ft6 and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Ravage Opress? Rumble Opress? Laserbeak Opress?

(Eject!)

revan772 and DelRiego like this.
  10. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    Sheev is love. Sheev is life.

revan772 likes this.
  11. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    There’s no difference thematically between the names Maul, Feral, and Savage. It’s just that Maul’s a verb and Feral and Savage are adjectives.

I don’t understand the idea that Oppress (thematically similar verb) is their surname, since Savage is the only one that uses it. I think it’s just another part of his name, like someone being called John Paul Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Because it sounds like "Ventress", probably.

I originally assumed his name was "Savajj Opress".

13. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Please god don't let this happen.

Adrian the Cool likes this.
  14. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Did Qui-Gon get a memory scan before he died? Otherwise a clone of Qui-Gon wouldn't know much. Not more than Qui-Gon's Force ghost could.

I remember waay back in 1999 I saw some book or magazine with the line 'What is Qui-Gon's connection with the mysterious Darth Maul?' I wish I remember what book this was now. Interestingly nearly 20 years after TPM, there is no connection between Qui-Gon and Maul revealed in any material, Legends, Infinities, canon, or otherwise that I am aware of.

15. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I don't think a clone is necessary since Jinn's spirit was eventually able to create his physical self in spirit form like Kenobi and Yoda(and Anakin), so the body does not need to vanish we now discover . Over time and possibly with effort(further training?) one could re-create their body, before that we only seen Jinn on Mortis, as a voice and those Force fireflies things. The restoration of spiritual bone, muscle and flesh process was described in rather graphic detail in “From a Certain Point of View". We also learn Kenobi gave Maul a Jedi funeral pyre and the event must have been significant for recently killed Kenobi - since its one of the few memories that spring to his spiritual mind as he begins his journey.

Nightsister spirits are apparently able to reform their bodies by absorbing the living flesh of unwilling victims or hosts.

16. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Maul's lightsaber made a connection.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

17. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Qui-Gon was able to appear as an image of himself on Mortis...I'd always assumed that was because of Mortis' unique relationship to the Force. Qui-Gon describes it as "a conduit through which the entire Force of the Universe flows. [...] This planet is both an amplifier...and a magnet."

18. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Yes, it was because of the unique energy and powers of the Mortis realm, but as he explained to Yoda his training was not complete in Season 6 of TCW, so he could only manifest the disembodied voice. Sometime after TCW Jinn was able to reform his body we learn.

19. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Sheev Maul

20. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Formerly Darth Now Just.

revan772 likes this.
  21. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    lol

God, SW ****** up ghosting so bad.

(Or not, if you're into it. Different strokes. Just isn't my cup of tea at all.)

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I like the notion that Force Ghost-ing is unique. Sure, it was cool in the old Tales of the Jedi comic when everyone was disappearing but there is a whole "more powerful than anyone in the Force" in life so it would continue onto death so only the super powerful can retain their spirit. the Qui-Gon can-only-appear-cuz-he's-on-Mortis is a bit of a stumble, I'll admit, but I kind of like how he is the talking glowing ball of light. Not quite Yoda, Anakin or Obi-Wan but close.

23. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Wow, thanks for quoting a 5 years old posting from me that I wrote ironically back then. ;)

Though... it was before SW was bought by Disney... who knows what te'll come up with next...^^

Outsourced likes this.
  24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I like the fact it's not the Jedi-standard, since that was never implied.

Yes, both Jedi we saw die in the OT faded into nothingness and then reappeared as Ghosts. Yes, we can assume that such was true even of Anakin.

But Vader -- the most prolific Jedi killer in the franchise -- was clearly surprised by Obi-Wan's disappearing act, so the early EU acting like it was just "what happened" was always odd.

It's specifically the "Qui-Gon learned the technique in a book of spells and only half mastered the skill but as a disembodied voice was able to teach it from beyond the grave so that his students could fully master the skill and their bodies would disappear" angle that is... less than satisfying to me. But, hey-ho.

25. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Actually, my reading between the lines of the OT made me think Vader was quite sure he killed Kenobi--in ANH he boasts about it being the end of Kenobi (it's Tarkin who looks doubtful), and he tells the Emperor that Obi-Wan can no longer help Luke. Maybe Vader's a bit surprised Kenobi outright vaporized, but his later lines make it clear he has no doubt Kenobi is quite dead regardless. And vaporization is not unprecedented--Talzin does it on death and maybe other Nightsisters, I can't remember. Vader DOES hear Obi-Wan boast about becoming more powerful immediately beforehand though.

We see in both Legends and canon Marvel comic books that Vader checks in on Luke's prowess between ANH and ESB, and in both cases he sees Luke has subpar training (Vader sees this in Legends when Luke is forced to kill Baron Tagge, and in canon in the Skywalker Strikes arc and also Grakkus the Hutt's gamesmaster tells Vader that Luke's no match for him).

In ROTJ, Vader tells Luke that Obi-Wan has trained you well. The novelization of ROTJ aside (probably noncanon in both Legends and canon), there is no indication Palpatine or Vader know about Yoda training Luke.

So what changed? We have Vader telling Palpatine in ESB that Obi-Wan can no longer help an untrained boy, to Vader telling Luke in ROTJ that Obi-Wan has trained you well.

I'm guessing Vader realized Obi-Wan was not idly boasting about becoming more powerful than one could possibly imagined and deduced Kenobi survived as a ghost. In fact by ROTJ, Vader may have even overestimated the powers of Force ghosts and concluded that Force ghost Obi-Wan continued training Luke up till ROTJ--thus the "Obi-Wan has trained you well line."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.