main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #7-12: The Dying Light/ Legacy's End (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    "Suicide is not the Jedi way."

2. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Disney canon source?

Obi-Wan is borderline in my opinion. Self sacrifice to save hope for the Galaxy.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

kalzeth likes this.
  3. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Ahsoka canon source.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...ht-DoaD.ogg/revision/latest?cb=20090729160539

Sinrebirth and kalzeth like this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    In Jedi RPG terms, I think Jocasta Nu is probably a Jedi Consular and is going to have very strong Force abilities which would be able to allow her to fight Darth Vader as long as it doesn't come down to a lightsaber duel. However, the thing about Anakin Skywalker is that he was the third or fourth best duelist in the Jedi Order and arguably the 3rd most powerful Force user in the Jedi Order at the time of Revenge of the Sith.

No, Jocasta Nu is not remotely the kind of person who could fight him and probably wasn't on the High Council but she's up there and could pull off an upset.

Which we know she won't but she's a more likely candidate than most.

Vialco likes this.
  5. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    The artwork in this series continues to be stunning. Why couldn't the Mace Windu comic have art this good?

6. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

They remind me a lot of the police from Blade Runner with their look.

BobaMatt likes this.
  7. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    As much as I like what the comics are doing with the inquisitors so far...jeez Grand Inquisitor, would you like some cheese with that whine?

8. Purpilia

Purpilia Jedi Master

Jan 2, 2010
    Anyone else notice that the helmet in Jocasta's hidden vault resembles the helmet from the Lando comic? Could be a hint that this vault doesn't stay hidden for long...

9. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Heh. And just like that
    arrogance truly was the downfall of the Jedi - even future Jedi. Damn Jocasta. Forget “your” books. Save the future.

Thank you Marvel for teaming Soule, Camuncoli, Orlandini, and Curiel. Even if there are a couple funky panels with Vader, overall, beautiful art and very intriguing story.

10. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Marvel's on a roll with this series

Yep, the mask in the vault is the same from Lando alright. Good catch Purpilia!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And nice guesswork to those that guessed the thing Jocasta was after at the temple is the list of Force sensitive younglings =D= Also, was the cloaked man Vanee?!? Btw, Vader's meditation was surreal and morbid, probably the most striking page of the issue, for me at least. And, Cator, the vault droid - another droid character I like just from a few panels, similar to Arex. I've got a feeling Cator won't last long though :( And since we're at the vault, that's one awesome looking star fighter. I'm curious who and when used it, and I've got a feeling we'll find out eventually ;) I really liked the moment when Vader solved the mystery of the wreckage to the Major, really cool.

I'm a bit baffled by the impulsive reaction by Jocasta at the end. Judging from her reaction from this issue, and from that of the Grand Inquisitor, it seems that they have a history together and not a very pleasant one at that.

As tatooinesandworm said, thanks Marvel for what you've done with this series so far. Keep 'em coming like this!

11. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    This series always knows how to deliver a stellar issue. Kudos to Soule and Marvel for this.
    My favorite part of this issue has to be Vader meditating. I just love the coloring, all in red/black and his cut limbs being highlighted in white. The blue butterflies reminded me of Steven Universe for some reason but I was thinking they represented "the good" that was still in Vader like Padme and Luke sensed. I loved it.
    The Grand Inquisitor is a nerd, I love how Jocasta was fuming at the sight of him even daring to touch the books.
    Favorite line: "Get your filthy hands off my book". Go Jocasta
    Interesting how the Major wasn't sacred of Vader and even dared to backtalk. I really thought Vader was going to kill him for that.
    I really hope that droid was Russo from TCW, too bad he didn't get any line in this issue.

spicer and tatooinesandworm like this.
  12. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    I think the Major
    wasn’t scared of Vader, because no one knows who Vader is yet. Major didn’t even know he existed before he came to “observe”. You would think though that he should have been a little more cautious considering Palpatine sent Vader.

Jedi Merkurian and spicer like this.
  13. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    The major just met Vader, so he'd no idea who he is.

Ninja'd by tatooinesandworm :p

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  14. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    You're probably right, maybe he has seen weirder stuff than a giant cyborg with a breathing apparatus.
    Random observations:
    - Is that Vaneé from R1?
    - I guess the helmet is the same one from the Lando comic?
    - Since we see inquisitors have found a way to locate Force sensitive children in Rebels, we know Jocasta's mission is going to fail.
    - Since when is that droid keeping the secret room with the artifacts? Looks like a super tactical droid to me, especially with the patterns on its body.
    - I also spotted 1 (or 2?) Sith holocron. I wonder if Yoda or other members know of this room.

15. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Anyone else find it ironic that it appears the Emperor is in fact more forgiving than Vader at this point in canon.
    Perhaps the Dark Lord was just stoking the fear in his subordinates during his first scene in ROTJ.:p

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  16. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Man if only Jocasta hadn't given into her desire to get some revenge the Empire may have fallen long before 4ABY

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  17. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Amazing issue with great dialog and artwork like usual. This was an interesting setup issue, now I'm really looking forward to some action in the next one!

spicer and tatooinesandworm like this.
  18. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009
    Marvel has another winner this week with Darth Vader #8!

I loved the interaction between the Imperial Intelligence Officer and "Lord" Darth Vader. And Jocasta revealing herself at the end shows just how arrogant the Jedi have become. Let's hope it doesn't jeopardize her mission.

This title is improving every issue and it is quickly becoming my favorite ongoing Star Wars title.

19. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    So... Jocasta may be arrogant, but I think she may have also become mentally unhinged by what happened to the Jedi Order. I love books too and would be deeply offended by the total disrespect of the Grand Inquisitor, but that... was not the reaction of a Jedi.

20. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    A list of known Force-sensitive children at the time of the Purge is going to be worthless almost two decades later. Her mission certainly may fail, but the Inquisitors hunting children probably shouldn't be counted as proof of that.

Spies/information-gathering and blood tests would be more useful to the Empire. Or neighbors whispering to the local authorities in hopes of a reward when they see your kid levitating her toys. Or certain keywords being flagged when they pop up in medical/psychiatric/police reports. Or...etc.

While I agree it was inappropriate, I think it's unfair to call her "unhinged." I mean, here is a disrespectful, spiritually unworthy traitor and murderer sneering and trashing and pawing at the sacred collected knowledge and history she devoted her entire life to preserving, in halls that are practically still ringing with the screams of her genocided culture. The Jedi have been murdered, and this man is defiling their culture's remains.

And given what the Inquisitor said in his petulant rant before I think it's a safe bet she always found him skeevy, so they have a history that's culminated in this.

I wish, for her sake, that she hadn't fumbled in that last moment when she was (possibly - we can't discount Vader incoming regardless) so close to victory, but I can't find it in me to judge her harshly for slipping either. Plenty of Jedi have fumbled for a moment but recovered, they're only mortal. She just may not get the chance to take a breath, center herself, do things the right way and fix it, like Obi-Wan recovering from his moment of rage vs. Maul.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I kind of love how the Grand Inquisitor wants to take Joscta out so he can be free to read all he wants. The spite is strong in this one!

MercenaryAce, Daneira and Ithorians like this.
  22. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Another fantastic issue!! Loved seeing what I figured was Vanee in there; it´s interesting, that he was serving Vader for this long.

Still, I´m not quite sure that Jocasta recognized the Grand Inquisitor... at least I had this idea of the Temple Guard´s role being an anonymous one, and that Jocasta would only know about a guard (or more than one, depending on the other Inquisitors´ backstories) that was constantly insisting on getting his hands on the knowledge she kept.

I imagine, perhaps, that it was the Grand Inquisitor´s appearance (clearly a darksider) and dismissive/disrespectful attitude towards the books what made her snap. And Vader told the GI to look for information on Jocasta in the library, so those could be books containing delicate information about the Jedi Order and it´s members... perhaps even her?

spicer likes this.
  23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    If I'm not mistaken doesn't Palpatine tell Vader an issue or two ago that he wants the surviving Jedi captured alive?

24. spicer

Nov 14, 2012

According to the last issue Palp's wants Jocasta alive. As for the others, it wasn't specified whether they are wanted dead or alive.

ETA: It seems that I was wrong in my guess that Grakkus owned Jocasta's starfighter.

Vialco and TiniTinyTony like this.
  25. ColemanKcajFTW

ColemanKcajFTW Jedi Master star 1

Jan 14, 2014

I think in this case, he just wants Jocasta alive. Her knowing the ancient Jedi/Sith sites and all.

Vialco and TiniTinyTony like this.