main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming What was the last videogame you beat?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Siths_Revenge, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Finished Sonic Mania. As I said in the other thread, it's a great game that combines the best elements of the Genesis games (and a bit of Sonic CD too apparently). I still wish they had used Sonic 2's special stages instead of 3's for the ones you access through the checkpoint posts. Also, I think it relies a bit too much on the nostalgia when it comes to the zones. Out of the thirteen total zones, eight of them are remastered/re-imagined versions from the previous games and five are brand new. I would've preferred it the other way around.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Finished Assassin's Creed: Origins. Great game. They tried to fix what wasn't broken with an overhaul to the combat system; I got used to the new, arcadey combat but I never liked it as much as the polished system they had in Black Flag and Syndicate. I also could have done without all the RPG elements; every goddamn game does not need a skill tree. Just let me do things. I don't need eight thousand bows to choose from. I don't want to have to keep upgrading my sword every couple levels. Just let me play a goddamn Assassin's Creed game. Those complaints aside, it was absolutely tremendous. The vast map was full of content -- fun side missions, lots of locations to interact with, and absolutely gorgeous scenery. It's one of the most breathtakingly beautiful games you'll ever see. I only wish they hadn't dropped the Codex, so everyone could know what everything is. Bayek is a great protagonist, a father and husband who makes for a much more mature, wise protagonist than the angry kids we usually get. And his wife, Aya, is also playable and is a really great character, too, and they enjoy great chemistry. One of the best depictions of a married couple you'll get. I have a quibble here and there with the story as a hardcore AC fan, but it's quite well-written and the plot is engaging, building to a slightly rushed climax, but that's par for the AC course. Great gameplay, great writing, just an incredibly fun game. I can't wait for the DLC, and I really look forward to sequels.

Life and darkspine10 like this.
  3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The Codex (or Database) is coming back in 2018 in the virtual history tour mode.

I agree it was disappointing to do away with it though, it was an excellent addition to the historical context, and also a really useful way to keep track of side characters. By the end of the game there was a room full of people and I could only name 2 of them.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, it could have given some backstory to those characters too, so they'd have a little more development.

5. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Some of them get some development in side missions. But yeah, that should have been in the main story.

6. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. Holy ****, what an absolute bonkers game in the best possible way. The gameplay is so-so, but the narrative is chock full of insanely great moments that are pulled off masterfully by way of outstanding writing and fantastic voice acting and animation. One of my favorite stories in a video game ever. BJ Blazkowicz is the ******* man.

Life likes this.
  7. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Battlefront 2. Quite enjoyed it. The rushed development clearly showed, but I still had fun with it!

8. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

You beat the game on the day it was released? Does that mean that there wasn't much to it?

9. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    About 4-6 hours in length. Pretty standard for a game that's mostly focused on multiplayer.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I guess that's not bad. I wonder how long it'll be before the critics come out whining for more; kind of like how they've been doing for the past three or four years since GTA V was first released. I don't even get that; considering there is a single player campaign in GTA V and it's very good IMO.

11. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    They might. At least on the plus side they are getting more. Another chapter releases for free right before the last jedi. I'd have liked more single player for GTA5 too, but mostly because I hate GTA Online and don't play it, lol.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Since completing the single player of GTA V on the PS3, I bought the game for the PS4 and multiplayer is the only thing I play on it.

13. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Critics complained about GTA V? They made it one of the highest rated games of all time.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I know it is; but to this day people are still clamoring over a single player campaign.

15. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    I loved the campaign.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Me too; and I practically peed my pants laughing at some of Trevor's dialogue.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  17. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I finished AC Origins the other day, the story, all side quests, Elephant camps, tombs, and gladiator battles. The only thing I haven't done is the chariot racing, because I am abysmal at it. On the whole, Origins was solid, the game world was really good, enormous and beautiful. The combat was good, but I felt stealth was undercooked. In general, I thought the mission design of the main story was a bit underwhelming too. The assassination missions were really dull, apart from a memorable bow and arrow battle in a sandstorm. The rest just felt like they were missing the build-up and fun sandboxes of previous games. Too easy to just strike down your targets I guess, and they weren't built up in the story enough, especially not the final target, who just sort of came out of nowhere, and everyone was bigging him up. I mean, he wasn't a ludicrously over the top as Crawford Starrick in Syndicate or anything, but he was just kind of there, nothing memorable or terrible.

After that I played through Journey again (what can I say, the sand theme of Origins had it on my mind). It took about an hour. It's a gorgeously rich game, the music is outstanding, and the gameplay is smooth and doesn't wear out it's welcome.

Life likes this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So I beat the story mode in Injustice 2. Going back to work on the alternate battle choices to get the complete ending. It's easily been the best story mode of any fighting game I've every played. The one thing I didn't particularly like is Wonder Woman. I guess it's because I'm not such an avid comic book reader; but I can't picture her being so self-righteous as she's portrayed in the game. Such a stark contrast to how she's portrayed in the films. I guess it was the new regime's Superman influence that got to her. But Harley will always be Harley, so it's all good in my book :)

19. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

Assassin's Creed: Origins

I'm still playing this game, trying to 100% complete the map by finishing each location and that sort of thing. But after around 75 hours, I've finished the main story and most of the rest of game, so it's safe for me to make my final verdict.

I've been a big fan of the Assassin's Creed series for quite some time now. Although I haven't played every one of the games yet, Black Flag is easily one of my favourite games of all time, and sadly nothing in the series since then had even come close to being as good... until now! Origins did it. It brought the series back to greatness. I've always wanted one of the games to be set in Egypt. My wish came true and it didn't disappoint me at all.

Narrative: 7/10

I'll admit, the narratives haven't been the strongest part of the Assassin's Creed games I've played. They're far from bad, but they're nothing memorable. Origins doesn't break the cycle here. To put it simply, Bayek's (the main protagonist) son is killed by an order and you have to hunt down each member, but it turns out there's more, so you hunt them down as well until there's no one left. Of course it's more complex than this and is a lot more drawn out, but it's nothing ground breaking. There's some nice plot twists in there as well. To stop it feeling repetitive, each member has a unique way of being taken down, and there's many, many side quests in between so it's quite some time before each big event. The side quests don't feel like they've just been shoved in there either, and some of them even add more to the main story and introduce you to some great characters. The game ends really well, with a nice speech and some foreshadowing to the rest of the series.

Characters and performances: 8/10

The main protagonist, Bayek, is fantastic. He's serious and blood thirsty most of the time for obvious reasons, but he's also a very loving person who cares about his family well above anything else. Every now and then you also get to see a different side to him, where it turns out he's actually quite a witty and fun person, who likes to play around and crack smart jokes at people. He's also a badass. Edward Kenway is still my favourite character in the series, but Bayek will bump Evie Frye out of second place.

Bayek's wife, Aya, is also great, and there's some nice chemistry between the two. She's just as driven as him, and you get a surprisingly amount of playtime as her, even during some of the more important missions. I also really liked Cleopatra, but none of the other major characters stood out that much. Although some characters from side quests did, such as Hilarus "Youth is a state of mind" Maximus.

A major part of the previous games in the series was the current day stuff, such as everything with Desmond Miles or working at Abstergo in Black Flag, but for some reason they decided to not focus on this at all in Origins. Out of the 75 hours of game time, I only got to play as the current day character, Layla Hassan, for about 15 minutes. Yes, 15 minutes. I feel like they could've done a lot more with her and attempted to create an interesting current day storyline, but they didn't.

The voice actors all did a great job, and I have no complaints there.

Gameplay: 8/10

The combat system was really good and a lot of fun. There's a huge amount of different ways you can take down enemies, which stops the game from feeling repetitive. The skill tree system also makes it so you're constantly unlocking new abilities to keep it fresh, which I really liked. The horse and camel riding was a great addition, and the chariot racing was pretty fun. The addition of Bayek's pet eagle, Senu, was fantastic, as you could fly around as her and scope out the area you need to go to and mark the enemies and collectables there. There was also some unexpected ship gameplay, like in Black Flag and Rogue, which they did a really good job of. This added yet another great factor into the already massive game.

There was some of the usual Assassin's Creed glitches, and sometimes the gameplay didn't feel as smooth as it could have, but overall it didn't take away from the experience.

Soundtrack: 8/10

I thought the soundtrack was great, and really helped set the mood of being in Egypt, especially when they used the classic desert type music. One of the soundtracks reminded me a lot of the one that was played in the Tibet parts of Uncharted 2, with the creepy feel to it. The music would often change depending on what location you're in, like when you enter tombs. The war music on the ship sections was great as well.

Game world: 10/10

This is the best open world I have ever played on, and really helped the game be as great as it was. The detail is insane and the map is absolutely enormous, with countless locations full of things to see and do. It's extremely immersive and really tries to make you feel like you're in the place and era that the game is set in. The NPC's aren't just standing around doing nothing. They're a lot like GTA V, where they have their own agendas with things they need to get done. It's details like this that make games that much more realistic. There's a perfect balance of space on the map, where there's a few major cities with smaller locations sprinkled in between, but there's also quite a lot of open space with just the desert to really give you a good idea of the scale of Egypt and just how unforgiving the landscape can be. You even start hallucinating if you spend too much time out there. Apart from everything on the surface, there's also plenty to see hidden away, like the tombs in the pyramids.

Part of the reason it's taken me so many hours to complete the game is because I just loved exploring the world so much. The new, excellent photo mode feature gave you even more of a reason to spend longer exploring the world, as you could take photos along your journey, which would be uploaded onto the map for yourself and others to see. It was like being on holiday and stopping to take photos of all the cool things you see. You could also capture some awesome shots when you're fighting predators. Ubisoft have really been nailing their open worlds lately.

Overall: The story could've been better, but thanks to an absolutely amazing, immersive open world, with countless activities to do and locations to see, it brought the overall quality of this game right up. The lead characters were great, and the gameplay was too, with some great new additions to previous entries in the franchise to keep it fresh and exciting.

Final score: 9/10.

20. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    Flower, it was beautiful. One of the most peaceful games I have ever played, really lovely.

Life, darkspine10 and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I'm ashamed to admit I never bought the game, but downloaded the demo immediately after watching this trailer featuring Donovan's "Catch the Wind".

Life and Moll like this.
  22. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I played both Flower and flOw yesterday (in that order).

Flower was really nice, great visuals, great music, I like the sense of flying around. The only nitpick I have is the fiddly motion controls. Using the control sticks would have been easier to manage.

flOw was a weaker game, the visuals more cluttered, the gameplay more confrontational. And the motion controls are somehow even worse in a 2D plane. But at least it only cost £1.19 ;)

23. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    It's only £2 on the playstation store at the mo :)

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  24. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (PS3)
    It really speaks to the longevity and addictive fun of this game that I bought it four years ago, and only now did I finish it. To think that there is so much content here that I never thought to try the online component of it until now. Of course, that is something I should have done sooner, as four years into the current generation, the servers on the PS3 are now deserted. But I digress. The controls for this game are perfect: easy to grasp, but difficult to master; the ideal balance between fun casual accessibility and deep risk/reward management for those wanting to hone their expertise. Once you complete the game on Hard difficulty (A), you unlock an even more demanding Expert difficulty (S), where you cannot win unless you apply everything you've learned and utilise every opportunity the game offers for speed-boosting. I consider it superior to MarioKart 8 in every respect. And it is a love letter to Sega's franchises like no other. A warm recommendation from me. SEEEEGAAAA

25. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    One of the best Star Wars gaming experiences you can get and potential for my favorite game ever.

Life likes this.