main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Judicial Forces fleets were a bit like that - dedicated to pirate hunting. In the Empire, "customs ships" filled a similar niche.

vncredleader and Gamiel like this.
  2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    This, I think, is the best advice. Any read-through of the post-Return of the Jedi EU absolutely has to begin with Heir to the Empire. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. The first nine X-Wing books are best read together, even though they were released gradually from the beginning of 1996 to the end of 1999.

I know you're talking about more than just post-ROTJ Legends, but since it'll pretty much be your starting point, this is how I'd recommend doing it. You could do earlier-released stuff like Splinter of the Mind's Eye and The Han and Lando adventures first if you wanted, but honestly sticking them in anywhere is OK. This isn't exactly the way I did it, but it's close enough.

- Zahn's trilogy: Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command
    - The Truce At Bakura
    - The Courtship of Princess Leia
    - Jedi Academy
    Trilogy
    - The Callista "Trilogy" --- Children of the Jedi, Darksaber, Planet of Twilight
    - The Crystal Star
    - X-Wing
    series, 1 - 9, followed by I, Jedi.*

*This one is tricky, actually. You could alternatively do the first four X-Wing books just before the Jedi Academy Trilogy and then read I, Jedi just after it, since IJ is a companion novel to that trilogy but also needs to be read after the first four X-Wing books. Some people will probably recommend that course of action. To me, though, the JA Trilogy still has an early nineties feel and is in a lot of ways a sequel to Zahn's trilogy, so I wouldn't recommend sticking too many books from 1996 in between those two trilogies. I think it's better to marathon the X-Wing books at some point after Planet of Twilight but before Specter of the Past.

- Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy
    - The New Rebellion
    - Corellian
    Trilogy
    - Hand of Thrawn duology

And afterward, go and read some New Republic novels that were released well after the nineties were gone and done. Tatooine Ghost, Survivor's Quest, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, Scourge.

Am I missing anything from the New Republic era?

PCCViking, Endor_boy and Kylun like this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't see Young Jedi Knights or Junior Jedi Knights

4. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Also it's best to read Shatterpoint before Shadows of Mindor.

PCCViking likes this.
  5. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I wonder how many people on this forum have actually read all of Junior Jedi Knights.

As for Young Jedi Knights, I picked up all fourteen for cheap from a used book store back in University, and then... never read them.

Ah yeah good call.

An addendum to my post: If you're interested in reading any New Republic era comics, there's always Dark Empire, Dark Empire II, and Empire's End to throw in between The Last Command and Jedi Search. I'd also recommend reading the third X-Wing comic omnibus partway through your read of the X-Wing novels --- before Isard's Revenge and Starfighters of Adumar, and definitely before the Hand of Thrawn duology.

Endor_boy likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I've read the whole Junior Jedi Knights series. It's reasonably entertaining by junior book standards.

Jedi Knight Fett and Gamiel like this.
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Did any "recent calls" lists or recordings of Sidious's conversations with the Trade Federation and/or the CIS Council survive the events of ROTS?

8. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I have a question for those well-read in the Expanded Universe...
    Has there been a story (it would have had to have been since 1999) where some enemy of Darth Vader figured out at the very least that he was a former slave and that he had an inactive explosive inside him and attempted to reactivate it and destroy him?
    Thanks in advance!

9. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007

I've read everything Legends since that time, and I Can safely say no. But presumably they would have removed that at the temple at some point.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. darthzac14

Nov 8, 2012
    What do you mean?

11. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Well Anakin spent a decade or so at the Jedi Temple during training. Presumably at some point he would have gone to the healers there, and mentioned "Oh by the way there's this old bomb in my head, could you take that out?"

I'd be genuinely surprised if it was still there even by AOTC let alone after his surgeries to become Vader.

Daneira likes this.
  12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hmmmm that's a good question. Especially for the old EU, where Gunray's chairs had the habit of running away from him. I don't think it's been addressed to be honest, although it's an interesting plot for a story.

Henning's right -- IIRC in a book it was mentioned Watto removed it before Anakin left. Probably the TPM novel. Don't have it on me at the moment, but I clearly remember that part.

JediBatman and darklordoftech like this.
  13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd think that Bail, Mothma, Obi-Wan, and Yoda would want all the evidence they can find to connect Palpatine to the CIS and the Trade Federation. I'd also think that Palpatine would want to make sure that nobody finds the evidence.

14. darthzac14

Nov 8, 2012
    The novelization states, "The transmitter that bound Anakin to his life of slavery was deactivated permanently. It would be removed surgically at a later date."
    Terry Brooks, Episode I: The Phantom Menace (Del Rey: New York City, 1999), 197.
    We didn't see that in the film (I'm not sure if it was filmed). The novelization is technically Legends under some weird Twitter "clarification."
    We can conjecture that it was removed, however we do not know. That's what I was wondering. I think the premise that it is still there would make for an interesting story in that it should be the only viable threat to Darth Vader in this continuity.
    Thank you both Darth_Henning and Barriss_Coffee for pointing me in a direction.

Barriss_Coffee and Gamiel like this.
  15. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    A quick question for knowledge holders of TFA possibly the visual guide.

Whilst reading BB-8 on the Run with my daughter for the umpteenth time I wondered if Fez's droid ship is supposed to be the ship Rey observed when chilling outside the AT-AT? Timeline seems to work but wondered if that ship had been officially named in any visual guide before?

Thanks

16. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    So I decided to not finish children of the Jedi and move onto reading Darksaber. Pleasantly surprised. It made me wonder though, was this the first appearance of the Victory class or at least the first outside of WEG

17. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Victory-class Star Destroyers first appeared in Brian Daley's Han Solo Adventures. That was before even WEG. They are also in the Thrawn Trilogy.

Daneira and vncredleader like this.
  18. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Ah I must have missed them. Cool that they have been around that long

Nom von Anor likes this.
  19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Why didn't Jar Jar move to Coruscant when Naboo started shunning him for his role in the rise of Palpatine?

20. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Eh, I respectfully disagree. I think it would raise too many questions. Why didn't the Jedi remove it? If it's so easy to reactivate it, how come it hasn't done so by accident in the last 13 years of Anakin running around doing Jedi things? Isn't it likely that it would have been destroyed when he became a quadruple amputee with 3rd degree burns? Is it just standard operating procedure to leave the bomb in a freed slave, or was Watto just really lazy/vindicitive? Was Shmi's implant removed when she was freed?

21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    As the year of 2017 comes to a close, I'm reflecting on all the books that I've read this year. For better or for worse, I've only read the comics. Before we get into December, I've read 73 of them. In summary that includes

(1) Captain Phasma mini - between TFA & TLJ
    (2) Star Wars ongoing - between ANH & ESB
    (3) Star Wars Adventures
    (4) Darth Maul mini - pre TPM
    (5) Darth Vader ongoing - post ROTS
    (6) Doctor Aphra ongoing - between ANH & ESB
    (7) Mace Windu mini (one more left) - post AOTC
    (8) Poe Dameron ongoing - pre TFA
    (9) Rogue One Adaptation

It kind of all starts to blur together, and based on the time it takes between comics I have to refresh myself and do a quick visual "previously" in my head before beginning the current chapter.

In short, here are my recommendations
    (1) Phasma is beautifally drawn, but the story is so shallow it's hard to recommend that you spend your hard earned money on this so skip it unless you're a huge Phasma fan.
    (2) I hate the tracing of the faces of Luke, Leia, and Han, but otherwise the story has been decent this year if I do recall. There's currently connecting the story to events of Rogue One so I'm finding the current arc very interesting.
    (3) What I like about this series is that it's like a little bowl of cereal instead of a giant meal like the other series have been.
    (4) Interesting story with some familiar faces but again I'd skip unless you're a huge Maul fan. His story in the TCW and Rebels cartoon are far more better than this little story.
    (5) Darth Vader is the shining star of the Star Wars Marvel line, IMO, and I'm loving each one despite the minor gripe here and there.
    (6) I was lukewarm with Aphra as a character but she's definitely growing on me as her series continues. If you don't mind that she's an Indiana Jones clone with no morals, then have at it, but you'll need to start in the first Darth Vader series (2015) to meet her.
    (7) Unfortunately, even though this story is almost done, I don't foresee the last issue saving this humdrum story. Just like Phasma and Maul, this comic is for the die hard fan of the character only.
    (8) Poe has had its highs and lows and we're finally catching up to the events of TFA so I'm enjoying the current arc the most.
    (9) The extra "scenes" that were excluded from the movie and interested into this adaptation were appreciated, but not enough to say that this is a must buy. Check it out if you loved the film as it will only enhance your experience. You can probably get the trade cheaper than buying each individually.

Journey To Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Captain Phasma #1 $3.99
    Journey To Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Captain Phasma #2 $3.99
    Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Captain Phasma #3 $3.99
    Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Captain Phasma #4 $3.99
    STAR WARS #27 $3.99
    STAR WARS #28 $3.99
    STAR WARS #29 $3.99
    STAR WARS #30 $3.99
    STAR WARS #31 $3.99
    STAR WARS #32 $3.99
    STAR WARS #33 $3.99
    STAR WARS #34 $3.99
    STAR WARS #35 $3.99
    STAR WARS #36 $3.99
    STAR WARS #37 $4.99
    STAR WARS #38 $3.99
    STAR WARS #39 $3.99
    STAR WARS ADVENTURES #1 CVR A CHARM $3.99
    STAR WARS ADVENTURES #2 CVR A CHARM $3.99
    STAR WARS ADVENTURES #3 CVR A JONES $3.99
    STAR WARS ADVENTURES #4 CVR A JONES $3.99
    STAR WARS ANNUAL #3 $4.99
    STAR WARS DARTH MAUL #1 $4.99
    STAR WARS DARTH MAUL #2 $3.99
    STAR WARS DARTH MAUL #3 $3.99
    STAR WARS DARTH MAUL #4 $3.99
    STAR WARS DARTH MAUL #5 $3.99
    STAR WARS DARTH VADER #1 $4.99
    STAR WARS DARTH VADER #2 $3.99
    STAR WARS DARTH VADER #3 $3.99
    STAR WARS DARTH VADER #4 $3.99
    STAR WARS DARTH VADER #5 $3.99
    STAR WARS DARTH VADER #6 $3.99
    STAR WARS DARTH VADER #7 $3.99
    STAR WARS DARTH VADER #8 $3.99
    STAR WARS DOCTOR APHRA #3 $3.99
    STAR WARS DOCTOR APHRA #4 $3.99
    STAR WARS DOCTOR APHRA #5 $3.99
    STAR WARS DOCTOR APHRA #6 $3.99
    STAR WARS DOCTOR APHRA #7 $3.99
    STAR WARS DOCTOR APHRA #8 $3.99
    STAR WARS DOCTOR APHRA #9 $3.99
    STAR WARS DOCTOR APHRA #10 $3.99
    STAR WARS DOCTOR APHRA #11 $3.99
    STAR WARS DOCTOR APHRA #12 $3.99
    STAR WARS DOCTOR APHRA #13 $3.99
    STAR WARS DOCTOR APHRA #14 $3.99
    STAR WARS DROIDS UNPLUGGED #1 $4.99
    STAR WARS JEDI REPUBLIC MACE WINDU #1 $3.99
    STAR WARS JEDI REPUBLIC MACE WINDU #2 $3.99
    STAR WARS JEDI REPUBLIC MACE WINDU #3 $3.99
    STAR WARS JEDI REPUBLIC MACE WINDU #4 $3.99
    STAR WARS POE DAMERON #10 $3.99
    STAR WARS POE DAMERON #11 $3.99
    STAR WARS POE DAMERON #12 $3.99
    STAR WARS POE DAMERON #13 $3.99
    STAR WARS POE DAMERON #14 $3.99
    STAR WARS POE DAMERON #15 $3.99
    STAR WARS POE DAMERON #16 $3.99
    STAR WARS POE DAMERON #17 $3.99
    STAR WARS POE DAMERON #18 $3.99
    STAR WARS POE DAMERON #19 $3.99
    STAR WARS POE DAMERON #20 $3.99
    STAR WARS POE DAMERON #21 $3.99
    STAR WARS POE DAMERON ANNUAL #1 $4.99
    STAR WARS ROGUE ONE ADAPTATION #1 $4.99
    STAR WARS ROGUE ONE ADAPTATION #2 $3.99
    STAR WARS ROGUE ONE ADAPTATION #3 $3.99
    STAR WARS ROGUE ONE ADAPTATION #4 $3.99
    STAR WARS ROGUE ONE ADAPTATION #5 $3.99
    STAR WARS ROGUE ONE ADAPTATION #6 $3.99
    STAR WARS ROGUE ONE CASSIAN & K2SO SPECIAL #1 $4.99
    STAR WARS SCREAMING CITADEL #1 $4.99

22. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Is the Star Wars Holiday special canon? The force awakens visual dictionary briefly mentions Chewbacca's family that book is canon...

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    A few of Chewie's family members and their names, are canon, when the newcanon mentions them - the events of the Holiday Special itself, however, can be presumed Legends till proven otherwise.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Speaking of Chewie's family, has Malla had a reference/appearance in canon yet?

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup - The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy (one of two ANH junior novelizations):

"Laugh it up, buddy." Seeing Chewie's look, Han added, "Hey, you're the married one. Find me a human girl with Malla's brains and silky hair and maybe I'll consider it."