main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Better Pilot, Vader or Han ????

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Master Endz-One, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    I know the Force helps Jedi and Sith with flying, but Han is clearly a better Pilot than Luke, Hera is clearly a better Pilot than Caleb and Ezra. After seeing both Vader's skills at Piloting and Han's skills with the Falcon, Who do you think is the better Pilot and Why ?

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Anakin was more of a fighter pilot, while we've only seen Han fly the Millennium Falcon, so it's hard to judge one over the other.

3. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    Han is clearly a better pilot then Luke?

4. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Well, Obi-Wan did call Anakin the "best starpilot in the galaxy."

5. Master Endz-One

Jun 30, 2017

Why would they offer Han so much money to get them out of Tatooine. Luke said they could buy a ship and he'll fly it, Obi-Wan clearly didn't go for it. The crew would've let Luke fly the Falcon if he was a better Pilot. Han's is definitely better than Obi-Wan. You see Han get everyone out of almost impossible situations and the Empire is nervous when Han moves toward the Star Destroyer. In the PT I didn't see Luke do anything great as a Pilot, only in the novel Heir to the Jedi I've seen Luke's flying skills. Luke had ships of his destroyed, Han has always kept the Falcon operational.

6. Darth Voorhees

Darth Voorhees Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2017
    I agree, Han Solo is THE BEST pilot in the galaxy. I mean he made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs. (Ahem)

J7Luke likes this.
  7. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    It depends. Han is a truck driver, Anakin is a racing driver.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  8. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    They needed a pilot. You see how near the storm troopers are to getting them. They have no idea who Han Solo is.
    Obi-Wan knew that this was brashness on Luke's part, and that they couldn't count on his skills or getting a ship. Luke also hasn't tapped into the force yet.
    Do you think that Han's going to let some kid fly his ship?
    Not really relevant to this discussion.
    True, but so has Luke. What are you talking about in the second part? ESB?
    What?
    Ok.

I think Han's one of the best pilots, but I think Luke's as good. I also think that Anakin's as good as both, with his landing of the Invisible Hand being what it was.

Sith Lord 2015, wobbits and Vialco like this.
  9. Master Endz-One

Jun 30, 2017
    It's a toss up to me, the things I've seen Anakin do in the PT are amazing. Vader in novels amazing and did great in the Battle of Yavin until Han shot his fighter. Han's skills with the Falcon got them out of impossible jams.

The point of comparing Han and Hera as a Pilot to force users, is making a point that using the force doesn't make you a better Pilot.

Han did let Lando use it and at times switch co pilots.

As far as Luke's flying during the Battle of Yavin, he didn't do anything great. Luke had help from his team, he was in trouble during the Battle twice and without Han he wouldn't have successfully destroyed the Death Star. Luke did a really good job, but wasn't great in that Battle. I have to give Luke credit for hitting the shot though.

10. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Vader easily. Also by the time of ROTJ Luke is almost certainly a better pilon than Han.

Dagobahsystem and wobbits like this.
  11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Han is a great pilot, but Vader is the greatest of all time.

wobbits, J7Luke, jc1138 and 5 others like this.
  12. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    You don't get to be the chosen one for nothing.

Dagobahsystem and wobbits like this.
  13. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016

Han has YEARS more experience than Luke so yes he's better. On the topic of Vader vs Han. I'd say Anakin in a close race. He was piloting since he was a boy and his force abilities made him beyond special.

Sith Lord 2015 and BookExogorth like this.
  14. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
  15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Anakin was a better pilot than Han ever was at 9. He's the only human who can podrace.

16. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    We don't know but it's a safe bet that the Force empowered pilot will win. As a side note, given Kylo Ren is Anakin's grandson & Han's son perhaps that combination of lineage makes him better than either of them.
    He was...at the time of TPM. Maybe years later a young Han could too.

17. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Hard to fairly judge since Han largely piloted a freighter. But Vader is clearly superior.

18. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Clearly the Force is a big advantage, but it can't be impossible for a non-Force user to be a better pilot. Or a better swordsman for that matter.

Darth Dnej and Sarge like this.
  19. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Han, he has to be better at something right?

having Vader being "the best eva!!" at everything is, well, kind of boring.

that is my reverse logic and I'm sticking to it :p

BookExogorth likes this.
  20. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    BEN
    [Anakin] was the best star-pilot in
    the galaxy, and a cunning warrior.

versus

HAN
    Fast ship? You’ve never heard
    of the Millennium Falcon?
    BEN
    Should I have?

However:

JABBA
    Han, why you’re the best smuggler
    in the business.

But Yoda would probably say "smuggling don't make one best pilot". ;)

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  21. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Hard to say. In ONLY the Original Trilogy, we’ve only seen Han go up against Vader in ships once, during the Trench Run. I suppose Han would be good at fighting, if only strifing and getting away. Vader? Pure brute force: blast everything between him and his goal.

And yes, I am aware that Han was alive during the events of the Prequels, he would’ve been fifteen by Revenge of the Sith. We never see him. Luke? He wasn’t even born until the final few scenes of Revenge of the Sith.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  22. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    How are we defining "better pilot"?

23. Master Endz-One

Jun 30, 2017

As far as tactics, getting out of a seemingly unwinnable situation, air battles, innovation and leadership on their ships.

24. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Still, the standard is different based on the ship a pilot is driving. For instance tactics and methods of piloting the Falcon is different than pioting a Star Destroyer. I am just wondering whether there is fair objective criteria we could use.

25. Master Endz-One

Jun 30, 2017

I don't think there is a 100% fair way of Judging it, it's based on what we've seen who do we feel is better. It's just opinions, I really don't have an answer when it comes to who's a better between Vader and Han. I do believe in the PT, he's the best Pilot in the Rebellion. He was trusted with Leia's life and for being a smuggler no one knew was given the Rank of General based mostly on his skills as a Pilot.

Han was always out numbered, going against Star Destroyer and several TIE Fighters. He used every method possible with a high amount of skill. He never had his ship destroyed, but had a superior ship despite looking like junk. Han also took on the Empire on his own, he didn't have other fighters with him.

In the CT we see Vader's air generalship in the Battle of Yavin. In novels we read of his skills, but he had a whole Empire at his command, he wasn't the underdog. I look at the PT and Anakin always commanded a fleet or was with other fighters, but you can clearly see he was the best in those battles.

The only thing I don't see as flying is pod racing, it's more like a Hoover Race Car Sport. It goes in the air for some time, but you don't fly it in Space or against other fighters.

Bazinga'd likes this.