main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info J.J. Abrams to Write and Direct Episode IX

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Big Bad Yoda Daddy, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    This will be the first trilogy to end with the words “To be continued” ;)

Dak Oolron and DARTH_BELO like this.
  2. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    I'd like that comment, but I'm too afraid it is true

Master_Rebado and Lulu Mars like this.
  3. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000

I wouldn't claim to be able to spot who wrote which lines etc. but I would definitely like to know why Kasdan isn't involved all the way through the trilogy.

4. Aroooo-Dion

Aroooo-Dion Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 27, 2017
    He basically came out of retirement to write Solo and ended up writing on TFA as a favour. He's said that writing four Star Wars movies is enough for him.

Dewback and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    I guess we know why Rian Johnson wasnt selected for Epi IV

Master_Rebado and solo77 like this.
  6. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    I don't hate JJ for TFA. However, the more I watch it, the more it becomes my "least" favorite of all the films. But, I do enjoy it, just less than the others. AOTC was my least favorite before TFA. I just wish they didn't give JJ the job on the last film of this trilogy. Lets hope he does a GL like George did with ROTS and make an awesome ending trilogy episode.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  7. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

Yeah, hearing this news, I'm almost completely apathetic about IX now. For me, I imagine it'll be "Oh, so that's how the story ends" (or, knowing JJ, doesn't) and have the RT to look forward to. And honestly, that's fine by me. If I could reverse it so that JJ took the new trilogy and RJ finished this one, I absolutely wouldn't.

Master_Rebado and DARTH_BELO like this.
  8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I know JJ has a history for not ending films/shows with a satisfying conclusion, but I wonder if LFL/KK might hold on to the reins a bit tighter for Episode IX-at least more than apparently TLJ-in terms of the ending specifically. Based on how they handled the shakeup for Solo, it's clear they are not averse to stepping in when something's not turning out the way they intend. Obviously with Rian, they didn't NEED to do that, but I'm sure they know that having a conclusive ending to this 9 episode saga is very important-not only from a storytelling point of view, but also to fans. I wouldn't be surprised if they instruct JJ to end it without leaving a bunch of questions...

After all, it seems Episode IX is intended to be the end of the Skywalker story, with Rian's new trilogy focusing on all new characters. I believe KK's words were "a corner of SW lore that has never before been explored." That definitely rules out the Skywalker line-which using logic, ultimately means that Episode IX is meant to be the finale for this saga, and everyone involved with its storyline. I'm sure everyone involved is well aware of this, so I'm not worried I guess.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000

I don't think the Skywalker story is done, just that it's done for now - KK has hinted as much. (Which, I am absolutely fine with, btw.) I still don't think that makes it okay for JJ to leave anything unresolved.

Of course, if you crunch the numbers and assume they continue anthology movies for a SW movie every year between RJ movies, it's entirely possible that we return to the Skywalker Saga in 2027 - the 50th anniversary of the first movie. Fitting, in a way.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Big Bad Yoda Daddy,

I suppose it's possible that the Skywalker story is not done. But I am actually different from you in that I would rather they move on. I feel they've really kind of done all they can do with that particular thread. IMO there's really no more ground they can tread that wouldn't feel kind of "been there, done that" by that point. Unless there's something groundbreaking and eye-opening in TLJ and Episode IX which really "flips the script" on how we see the Skywalker/Solo family, IMO it's time to lay that storyline to rest. There's just so much other great potential stories to tell in this universe!

(BTW I'm totally fine with spinoffs continuing during the timeline of this saga-lots to explore in the in-betweens still. I'm only speaking about episodes I-IX).

TCF-1138 likes this.
  11. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    I loved TFA and following a potentially deeper and darker episode in VIII then I'll be happy if we get a rip snorting Star Wars adventure that still has some focus on the myth and magic that makes it Star Wars. And for most of the loose ends to be tied up.

Keycube and Sarge like this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think it's pretty likely that Episode IX won't be a broad strokes remake of Return of the Jedi simply because Abrams has had people hollering at him for years that TFA was an ANH remake so I'm guessing he'll come up with something different.

Also it's kind of fun to see Abrams close out with the characters and actors he picked to start the ST ride so I think it's fitting he is the one. Just had to take a break there in the middle. Disney pushing them release dates!

Dak Oolron likes this.
  13. RinaRayLove

RinaRayLove Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2016
    I think Rian Johnson did a way better job and I wish he would have been chosen to direct episode 9 also.

TheYodaPagoda and Darth Dnej like this.
  14. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000

Thankfully he burned down a lot of JJ's mystery box, which means JJ has an out - there's no way he had answers to any of the mysteries he posed.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  15. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Apparently, that wasn't in the cards with him going into pre-production for his own trilogy. It wasn't that he wasn't selected for the last movie.

16. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    Sorry if this is a really arbitrary comment, but I wanted to say it in case no one else has.
    I've got this strong hunch that:

**Minor SPOILER if you haven't seen The Last Jedi, since it concerns a character who survives**
    1.) Kylo flies the Falcon in IX's climax, and
    2.) He & the ship each meet their demise together

If the trilogy HAD to redeem Kylo (which I prefer they don't), I don't know if there'd be a better/more original way.

17. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Being that Ben became a faceless light/dark push-pull foil with Luke in TLJ (did his expression ever change?), it would be nice to pursue him again as a "person of interest". And when I say "nice", I mean if he continues to be a mere prop for "Rey's story", I'm going to riot.

JJ will do it right. Ben as human interest story, Knights of Ren, Snoke, all of it. No flying Jedi, no flippant "misdirection", no yuckfests. It will be glorious.

18. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    I would've thought that corny after TFA, but now that the bar is so much lower for me (thanks, RJ!), this sounds really cool. (In fairness, it was probably always cool, I'm just old and crotchety with my SW anymore).

19. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I mean I am pretty much fine with JJ writing and directing, but when do they start shooting? There might still be time for one of those decisions to have someone else help with the screenplay. We've seen announcements like that before at this stage...

20. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I thought I had read, June.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    If that is true, then there could be, or have been, a decision to bring in someone for JJ to collaborate with on the script.

22. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Has anyone hear the 'shooting name' or production name for it yet?

23. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I don't think we knew Solo's production name until the first day of shooting..."Red Cup," of course. I think we'll be waiting until at least June for shooting to start for Episode IX, won't we?

24. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Cool, just wanting to know for when emails come through that I don't accidentally turn it down

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    So we know this, right? "Abrams will co-write the film with Chris Terrio"