main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    PlanetSmasher - to send a PM to a user you can click on his/her profile. For example, to PM Chyntuck click on her name above and a small panel should open over this thread. Look for 'start a conversation' and click on that.

2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Okay then! Here's how it works:

To tag someone in a public post (like I did for you two posts up, so that you'd get an alert), just add @ before their user name (without a space). As you type up the first few letters a drop-down list will appear, you can either choose the user you want from there or finish typing up the name.

To send a private message, go to the top right section of the screen, where you'll see "inbox" next to "alerts" and "log out". When you move your mouse over "inbox", a drop-down menu will appear again, with the option "start a new conversation". Click that, and you can start writing your first PM :) (Once you have several PMs, a list of your most recent convos will appear in the drop-down menu.)

To get an auto-quote when you reply to someone, go to the bottom right part of the post you want to quote and click "reply" (just next to "more options"). The contents of that post will transfer automatically to the text box at the bottom of the page; type up your answer and click "post reply". This definitely works on Firefox; maybe there's a glitch with IE that I don't know about? (cc LAJ_FETT)

PS: Checking the boards from work is a guilty pleasure we have in common :p

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  3. Snocone

Snocone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015

Psh I don't know what you're talking about. [face_batting][face_liarliar][face_shhh]

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If you have a military character who is also an albino (s/he is from a sub-species where all are albinos) and you want to show of that s/he is an albino and a trooper, how should you dresse him/her? And what colours should you use (I don't really want to use black since it is so cliche)?

I was thinking of maybe copying a look I have seen where the character was dressed in military pants & boats, the space version of a ballistic vest and a t-shirt, showing the pigment-lacking arms and head. That look is that good for what I'm looking for but at the same time is lacking in character; should I use that look but with something/s added to give it more character (and if so what?) or should I use some other look?
    Me neither. [face_batting] (I do it from the university) [face_shhh]

Snocone likes this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002

Gamiel likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I know, I was more thinking that s/he had that style I described indoors/cloudy sky/night time.

Also vampires don't all have problems with sunlight, just ask Sir Francis Varney and Count Dracula :-B :p

7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Fine. Some daytime vampires.

I've sent my Baille, who is a redhead, so not overly compatible with sunlight, out in basically a feminised version of the scout trooper uniform.

Long-sleeved knee-length dress of the same material as the black part of the uniform - sorry, I have forgotten the fabric; black kneeboots, all the white bracers, shoulder armour, equipment belt, that scout troopers have.

We are trying to source a sun hat, planetside. Although she does have their macrobinocular helmet.

Gamiel likes this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    (Added smilies to show I was not that serius)

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Gamiel, I guess I’d be curious to know why an albino trooper would be wearing something different from his or her fellow troopers, especially given that this is presumably a military organization with standard-issue uniforms. I suppose I could see where said trooper might have a few extra pieces of protective gear for use in certain environments, but why would the actual main part of the uniform be different from that of a trooper in the same service branch who ISN'T albino? Just wondering.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Oh, sorry I should probobly have explained more about the characters situation. Short version: s/he is from a Arkanian sub-species who are all albinos, have an militaristic culture and hireing out their military forces as mercenaries is part of their economy (this is an reference to another fandom). Their homeworld (at least of this brance of the sub-species) have weak sunlight so therefor they don't really need to care for covering up more skin then they want.

S/He would have the sidekick role to another character (this is all in an rather early planning stage but I'm a visual person and want a good visual idea or ideas of this consept) and would not really be dressed any different from other troopers from his/her homeworld (trooper here don't mean storm- or rebeltrooper but a trooper of her/his homeworlds military force), maybe with some new stuff/weapon/hat that s/he has picked up while doing mercenary work.

EDIT: So, now when I'm thinking about it, I guess what I'm asking for is suggestions for the filde uniforms of the planets military forces. Maybe should have begun in that end.

Findswoman likes this.
  11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Yes, definitely mention that. As far as I know, Arkanians have no sensitivity to sunlight, except maybe their eyes, which makes them not albinos.

Their uniform, for offworld use, should be totally covering. With visors to protect the eyes. Maybe a concealing helmet with heads up displays.

Maybe they can purchase, en masse, Imperial or Grand Republic cast-offs. There was a planet in the Brian Daley' Han Solo novels, that purchased someone else's uniforms for their own security forces.

Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think you read to fast, I wrote an "Arkanian sub-species" as in not your standard base-line Arkanians

I think we have different understanding on how dangerous light is to albinos, yes they don't get a suntan just sunburns but they don't need to be extremely covered to my understanding unless we are talking stuff like midday sun or closer to the equator.

That's an good idea, I will take it and put it in my list of world building ideas, but it's not what I'm looking for here, the force she belongs to have their own uniforms & armour.

Changing around the question: I want a military look (don't have to be modern) that show the characters arms (bulging biceps don't look as good behind layers of textile :p ) at least partly but can’t decide on a look. I don’t want to use the Starship Trooper look (see below) since I fell I have seen variations of that look a bit to often and I want something different.
    [​IMG]

I was thinking that maybe this look might work
    [​IMG]
    from https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/

or maybe this, but with added SF armour and Equipment
    [​IMG]
    from https://hart-worx.deviantart.com/

or maybe this look
    [​IMG]
    from https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/

Do people have any other suggestions or think I should use any of the once illustrated above?

13. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Uniforms generally evolve based on weapons. Before the invention of bulletproof vests, cloth was standard, maybe with metal cuirasses, even though they'd been proved useless. By WWII, weaponry had advanced even beyond armor, so there was no point having anything but cloth. By SW time, with blasters, etc. the clones and later the Stormtroopers were using armor. It is frankly a surprise that the Rebels didn't come up with a version themselves, although I do remember one of the Visual Dictionaries suggesting that the burgundy coats worn by the Royal Handmaidens were actually some sort of blast-proof weave.

Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I will have to disagree. Armour evolve based on weapons (and fighting style, the material available and the knowledge of the armour crafters but that’s not what we are talking about). Uniforms evolve based on environment, material, fashion and sometime on the fighting style used. :-B
    Helmets are still considered lifesavers and some people think that if more armies before WWI had worn helmets during the fireweapon-age many would not have been brought down by slinters and weaker gunshots.

15. Glor

Glor Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2015
    Does anyone have any recommendations for Mandalorian War fics? Doesn't matter if it features canon characters or not.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Are you looking for a fanfics to read or for inspiration for a fanfic?

17. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    On one of my Star Trek forums, there is a Character Interview thread. People take turns asking questions and answering them from the POV of a character. I think it might be fun to do the same thing here. Does anybody know what would be a good place for a thread like that? If anybody's even interested.

Tarsier likes this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Here's the thread for that. :)
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/looking-for-fics.14698651/

Gamiel and Glor like this.
  19. Glor

Glor Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2015
    Just to read.

Thanks

Ewok Poet likes this.
  20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Resource could possibly be a place for such a thing. If you would like to host it, PM Bri and I with the info about how it would work and we'll discuss it.

21. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I would love that! :)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

22. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Mistress_Renata likes this.
  23. Ewok Poet