main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Music Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Abrapork Lincoln, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Freelancer257

Freelancer257 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 20, 2004
    In the fight scene between Zeb and the Trandoshan slavemaster in Crawler Commandeers, some of the music sounds like the music for the fight between Indiana Jones and the Germans at the flying wing in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

2. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Kiner is no stranger to musical quotes in this soundtrack. Notably, he's borrowed from Jaws and The Rocketeer.

this track contains quotes from Shark Cage Fugue/Shark Chase from Jaws

this track begins with Hera's theme and transitions into the main theme for the Rocketeer.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Listening to all this music makes me hope they get him for the new live action show.

4. Shadowcatcher

Shadowcatcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2017
    Speaking of Rebels Music, Amazon Music only has the soundtracks for the first two seasons. Did they ever release a soundtrack for season 3?

5. CloneGunnerCommanderJedi

CloneGunnerCommanderJedi Jedi Knight star 1

May 28, 2016
    Nothing yet for an official soundtrack beyond what's in the StarWars.com episode guides. There's also a few tracks released by the composers on their sites, all of which are listed in this spreadsheet.

6. CloneGunnerCommanderJedi

May 28, 2016
  7. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Kevin Kiner interview.

Hi Kevin thanks for doing this, I know you’re very busy.

Thanks so much, no problem.​

First off, could I get your reaction about the recent announcement of the Star Wars live action TV show?
    (laughs) I didn’t know there was a recent announcement; I have no knowledge of it.​

I guess that answers my question about whether or not you’ve been asked to work on the show.
    Yeah, no I have not.​

One thing I like to ask composers is during the recording process do you prefer to spend your time in the booth or conducting?
    I do some of my own conducting but mostly because of time limitations recording sessions go so much faster when I’m in the booth. When you’re conducting a lot of times you’ve got the click track in your ear and you’re concentrating on queuing people and so you’ll just miss little ideas or little mistakes. Mostly good ideas get missed.​

Truth be told to be a good conductor you need to conduct all the time, like to be a good violinist you need to play violin all the time. Very few of us are good conductors; like John Williams is a fabulous conductor but he conducted a very long time with the Boston Pops. Most of the time I prefer to be in the booth.​

Another thing I like to ask specifically is when you’re scoring a scene. We know music can add emotional weight to a scene but is it possible to detract from a scene?
    Absolutely, and I am a big proponent of taking music out. Especially going way back to the Clone Wars feature film I flew up to Skywalker Ranch for the final mix of that show. Everyone was so surprised because I kept arguing to take music out because it was wall to wall. I really feel when music continues too long it loses its impact.​

If you go back to Episode IV and Episode V, there is not wall to wall music. We thought there was but there’s not. There are a lot of scenes without music. And that’s when music can detract when it goes on and on and there are no breaths. Music has more impact when you have that breath.​

There’s a lot scoring in Rebels, it feels like there’s more scoring in Rebels than Clone Wars?
    It’s the other way around actually. It was conscious decision Dave Filoni and I made when we started Rebels.​

Could you talk about the transition period when Disney bought LucasFilm and your boss went from being George Lucas to Dave Filoni. Differences in show running style and what they expected from you?
    In truth, by the time George sold LucasFilm Dave was running Clone Wars, at least my side, a lot more actively than he had during the early years. George started us off but by the time Disney bought it, all my dealings were with Dave.​

To make decisions like less score, that was more about Rebels and less about Dave having a certain style, he just wanted Rebels to be different. Actually we both went back and watched A New Hope just to see how much music there was and how much there wasn’t.​

So the transition period was totally seamless. You would think Disney would have different input but they gave LucasFilm all the freedom in the world. When a giant corporation takes over people are always worried about what the new regime will want but we needn’t have any worries because Disney was really smart about it and saw that we knew what we were doing.​

Have you finished scoring the current (last) season of Rebels?
    I haven’t actually! I’m about to start writing the last two episodes which is actually a movie of the week. They’ll be put together as one, the last two episodes. It’s funny actually the last two minutes are missing from the very end, the copy I have so I still don’t know how it ends! Dave has to show me some time because I gotta write music for it so it’s driving me crazy.​

I saw Dave at FanExpo in Toronto in September and he said at the time only himself and the three in house animators had seen the last five minutes or something.
    That is very true; there are very high level producers who still haven’t seen it. It’s kinda nutty I’ve never been in that kind of a situation before.​

In today’s day and age, you kind of have to have that kind of security to keep things under wraps.
    Yeah I think so. But we’re going to do the last “movie of the week” in Prague. We’ve done a couple in Budapest but most of the time we’re recording in Prague.​

Have you ever been asked to do any Star Wars films?
    I have not. But for a while I was the only other guy besides John Williams to do a Star Wars film, Clone Wars was the only other film for a while.​

What did you think of the decision in Rogue One to not exclusively use John Williams score?
    There’s some John Williams in it, the Force theme and others. I thought it was a good score and a good decision.​

Have you ever had an opportunity to meet John Williams and talk about what he thinks of your work?
    I have met him several times but we’ve never really talked about what I do with his music though. I’ve met him at awards shows a few times and I don’t think I ever will talk about what I’m doing with his music. I have the ultimate respect for him. I have no idea if he’s even listened to what I do or anything.​

It gives me the freedom in my brain to bend it any way I want to and I’m sure there are times I’ve done things he probably may not like just because he saw it a different way. The perfect example was when George (Lucas) asked me to re-orchestrate and re-arrange the Star Wars theme for Clone Wars and I argued against it so hard. I said to George, “you know John did this right the first time”.​

I really didn’t think it needed to be done any differently. Having said that I’m really proud of what happened with it and how the Clone Wars turned out. You know, maybe John doesn’t like what I did with it I have no idea. His vision wasn’t to have giant drums playing all the way through it and for me to change the time signatures and things like that, you might not like that with your art work. I know it would bother me but I also wouldn’t want my soul crushed by him saying I hate what you did!​

I thought a stand out this season for me was the music during Flight of the Defender when we first see the Loth-Wolf and he’s carrying Ezra and Sabine to safety. The score during that scene was really, really great. It was one of the moments where it alerted neurons in my brain that the score was really effective.
    Yeah, thank you. Freddie (Prinze Jr.) even told me he really loved that one to. Another one Freddie really loved was when Sabine was learning to use the Darksaber (Trials of the Darksaber), the climax of that one he really loved.​

Freddie is an amazing human being. Here’s been here to my studio and you know he starred in my first big studio film that I scored called Wing Commander. We go back that far.​
    He’s super grounded and so exciting to be around because he’s always bubbling with fun ideas and just a true creator.​

When it comes to scoring the show, do you start with a Williams piece first and work from there or do you work backwards in a way. Like start with your own idea that you’d like to try and fit that into a Williams score?
    Unless I’m specifically using one of John’s themes like the “Force” theme or the “Star Wars” theme or the “Imperial March” or whatever I don’t approach it ever starting with his music. I approach it in that I compose in the same style that John does, but I have quite a few themes in Rebels, and I have them in a bin because I forget what they are. I have to reeducate myself and play through those themes whether it’s “What is Sabine’s theme again?” or “yeah I forgot about the Inquisitor theme”, I always try to be thematic in that sense.​

The reason it sounds like John Williams is because Star Wars is based on the diminished scale, but it’s all based on major chords and parallel chords, and these are devices I can use when writing. I’m always trying to find a different approach and I don’t ever try to take his stuff note for note unless it’s the Force theme or something.​

One thing I like to ask folks who work for LucasFilm and Star Wars is whether or not this is a dream job for you or just a really good job? Were you a Star Wars fan?
    Absolutely. First of all, like many other film composers I always wanted to be the next John Williams, since I started 35 years ago. When I attend panels and stuff I bring the Star Wars score I bought in 1979 and it’s all dog eared coming apart and stuff. If you open it up to any page you can see the ink where I’ve written my interpretation of what he was doing, the same way someone would mark up their bible or something.​

So yeah, 30 some odd years I’ve been a crazy Star Wars fan and a crazy John Williams fan from day one so there can’t be a more dream gig for me for the last 11 years I’ve been doing this.​

Well that’s a great place to end it. Thanks so much Kevin for doing this and good luck. And call Dave Filoni right away and ask about the TV show!
    Right on, I talk to Dave a lot so I’ll ask him! Also, I just want to know how this season ends as well! Thanks!​

Findswoman likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I am not surprised he has not been asked to score the new live action show. The composer won’t be picked for some time

9. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    I'm glad to know Disney gives Lucasfilm lots of freedom. Many would tell you Disney has tight control over Lucasfilm.

10. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    It's really weird that they haven't given Kiner the last two minutes of the last episode. If the last two minutes are that special, it seems like it would be best to give the composer as much time as possible to work on the score for that part.

11. CloneGunnerCommanderJedi

May 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    To me he is the best composer for Star Wars next to Williams.

13. Darth Mahler

Darth Mahler Composer - The Clone Wars, Rebels, The Bad Batch VIP

Dec 3, 2016
    We recorded 3 four-hour sessions with Prague. Every cue in the finale was recorded with orchestra. It was very cool of Dave to post that pic with the Lothcat. We've been working really hard all of December to make the music great. I think you all will be pleased.

14. CloneGunnerCommanderJedi

May 28, 2016
    The Kiner Brothers have added a few tracks from the upcoming second half of series 4 to their website: Hera at the Wall, Kanan's End Credits & Sabine Sees Ezra. I've updated the spreadsheet to include these.

Kanan's End Credits is labelled as 413 so is from A World Between Worlds, and Sabine Sees Ezra is labelled as 415 so is from the first part of Family Reunion – and Farewell, unless the production order was different. No idea where Hera at the Wall will be though.

The emotion in these tracks scare me for what's going to happen, especially Kanan's End Credits...

15. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    They all sound really similar.

16. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    great quote by Kiner of "Chasm Crossfire" this episode. One of the most iconic moments of John William's score for A New Hope.

3:21

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Larsonator likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Was there a hint of the I know music in the episode?

18. CloneGunnerCommanderJedi

May 28, 2016
  19. CloneGunnerCommanderJedi

May 28, 2016
    Wolves and a Door StarWars.com cue: Sabine Arrested. A World Between Worlds StarWars.com cue: Kanan's End Credits. I've updated the spreadsheet to include these.

Edit: Sabine Arrested is cutdown, missing 40 seconds!

I don't care how but I hope the cue for Ahsoka's rescue gets released. If it weren't for the great credits cue I'm sure it would have been the cue released.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  20. SWatB.com

SWatB.com Jedi Knight star 1

May 24, 2017
    ??????????????
    What do they sing in season 4?
    Especially at the end of episode 10 and 12.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  21. podjazd

podjazd Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 16, 2013
    I hear "Scriptura incarna", which in Latin kinda means "Writing (id est Bible) incarnate".

SWatB.com likes this.
  22. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I pretty much enjoyed all of the Music that Kevin Kiner did for Rebels, honestly it sounded a lot like a John Williams score. Sometimes certain songs I couldn't tell the difference.

I hope he gets a shot at scoring the Live action series or even one of the new trilogies.

23. SWatB.com

May 24, 2017
    This is in episode 12. But I heard there "Scriptura icarnatu(icarnatum) scriptura".

24. SWatB.com

May 24, 2017
    Or "Scriptura icarnartu(icarnartum) scriptura(scripturas)".
    It would be good to ask the authors.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Out of the 3 people to score Star Wars TV/movies, I think he is second best.