main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    jcgoble3 - I would posit the whole Boards.

A database error had occurred, was the error that I got.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    The whole site was down for me about an hour or two ago.

Can't the usernotes data be copied into a spreadsheet and re-formatted to suit whatever new system you have in mind? Or failing that, can't it be copied with a pencil? I guess quite a lot of that data has to be quite old, is it worth keeping all of it anyway?

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Historical 'bad' user notes are taken into account if a user is banned.

The site was down when I came online at 9:15 AM UK time. I thought maybe the backup was late so I gave it about 25 minutes and then emailed the usual group. Coincidentally (or not) the Rebelscum forums were also down. I don't know what caused the outage as I didn't get a response to my email but both forum sites were back when I came online about 45 minutes ago.

4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Do those expire like they would on Invision? Say, after a year or two?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    The boards were down for at least a couple of hours this morning (Eastern European Time). I don't know if they were down continuously, but every time I tried to open them between 10 and 12 (chiefly), they were down.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    They don't expire - they are available for all mods to view. However we do take their age into account. If user A got banned for stuff, say five years ago, and he's been clean since, and he manages to get banned again we'd take that 'good' time into account in determining the length of his ban. However if we have a frequent flyer with notes going back many years and he gets banned again for a similar offense we'd probably be looking at either a lengthy ban or a permanent ban - depending on the transgressions.

Chyntuck - see my post above. It wasn't just you.

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you!

One more question, no matter how ridiculous: can people's known disabilities be added to these notes? Sure, we are all responsible for our behaviour, but sometimes, simple things can make us blow things out of proportion. :/

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If you (or another user) want something added to your notes drop one of us a PM about it. Any mod can add user notes to an account.

Edit - it might not excuse you from a ban but any information will be taken into account.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm pretty OK right now, but I had a long-ish WTF from mid-2015 to the end of 2016, only realised it recently. Will PM you. <3

10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    So, recently, there's been this odd, odd bug: when I use the main edit screen, whatever I do, the cursor shifts to the top and I can't see what I'm writing. I wonder if this is happening to anybody else?

11. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Similar things happen to me from time to time (not just using firefox but also in MS Word, discord/irc, etc), have you tried alt+tab to cycle through your open stuff? That can often return un-buggy focus to the thing you want.

12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Tried it...nothing.

13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    It's happening to me too, Ewok Poet (on Google Chrome). I've sorted it out by opening my reply box with "more options" in a new tab and typing my text there.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    What's ironic is that it happens when I use that exact box, not when I use the simple interface on the bottom of the page. O_O

15. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Can anyone tell me how to post in such a way that leaves columns? I want to be able to say "1." then a certain number of spaces, then say "something"

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Take a look at our Help section on BB Codes. The Left/Center/Right codes might get close to what you want.

17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    The board is lagging again.

EDIT: Took me seven tries to post that.

18. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    yep, just did a full reboot to try and fix it. We'll see what happens.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Fingers crossed. :)

Is it on PHP or Perl...or Ruby? If earlier, would optimising the tables help? Or is that too hard for a board of this size?

20. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    Upgrading Xenforo would help. It's a 30+gb database, optimizing is as best as it's going to get.

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    So, it IS PHP, then? Ouch.

My largest one is 60 Mb and even that causes lags. I can...only offer you my sympathy. :(

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  22. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    The search engine in the board is down for me. Anyone else having the problem?

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It looks like Elasticsearch either didn't come back after the reboot or it died at some point. I've emailed the usual folks about the issue. It will probably be awhile before anyone sees the mail as they are all US-based.

24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Maybe this is me, but it comes and goes, returns different results if I reload and never works from users' profiles. Bizarrely enough, it works from Tapatalk. For up to, like...three years from now!

Regarding Tapatalk: there is no way to completely hide posts, right? I messaged their customer support and asserted that it's not about the communitynI configured on my server, rather one where I am just a user. Not sure how efficient they are when it comes to replies to non-admins.

25. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Search function still appears on my side of the multiverse

Iron_lord likes this.