main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Your Favorite Fighting Games

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Ezio Skywalker, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I know that the Fighting genre isn't too popular on these boards, but it owns a special place in my heart. Since I was young, my brother and I would go to arcades and compete with other kids on Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and Killer Instinct (those were the ones that were most favored among us and our friends).

With the recent release of Mortal Kombat X, I figured to lure those of you who at least somewhat enjoy the genre into a conversation about it and its evolution into the modern age.

I'll start by listing my favorites:

1) Mortal Kombat X. Sure, giving this game the primary rank might seem based on the novelty of its newness, but Mortal Kombat X is a robust fighter full of fan service. It improves upon elements Netherrealm introduced in Mortal Kombat 9 and Injustice and blends them perfectly. Recent Mortal Kombat games have also come along way in how they now portray a narrative. Story mode is something definitely unique within the genre, and Mortal Kombat 9 pulled it off splendidly. MKX maybe isn't as self-serious as 9 was with its narrative, but it's still very enjoyable.

The addition of various online modes and Faction Wars adds a whole new element to the genre, one that certainly breathes fresh life and replayability. Netherrealm did a fantastic job here and, imo, probably created the best fighting game to date.

2) Killer Instinct 2013. Microsoft and its partners created a very complex fighter with this one. They took an old property and revived it for the modern era. While it may look like a darker version of Street Fighter 4, KI's combo system is simultaneously more approachable and more intricate. The pricing models are also rather affordable and I never feel pressured into spending additional real world money on in-game items. Its developers are constantly updating and tweaking the game per gamer feedback, which means that the game is constantly changing.

With regards to online gaming, Killer Instinct doesn't offer as complex an online system as Mortal Kombat K, but I find that KI is faster to get a game going (ie. not as many steps). However, Killer Instinct's online community can be unappealing and is full of poor sports (ragequitters, etc).

3) Soul Calibur 2 GCN. A somewhat old title, but great nonetheless. Soul Calibur 2 was my first foray into this series and remains the best title by Namco/Project Soul that I've played. The guest character on the Gamecube, Link, fit perfectly (definitely more so than the nonsensical appearance of Star Wars characters in Soul Calibur 4). While SC doesn't let you jump, it gives you almost free movement over the rest of the arena, which adds something truly unique to the genre overall.

2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
  3. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I definitely meant "Favorite Fighting Games." Oh boy.

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Fixed. Also the answers are Tekken 3 and Street Fighter 2.

Life and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    One Must Fall 2097.

MarcusP2 likes this.
  6. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Why Tekken 3? As for SF2, I assume because it was revolutionary with its gameplay and remains a classic?

7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm a fan of the Mortal Kombat games...my favorite will always be the original followed closely by 2. I remember vividly when the original arcade game showed up at the bar/restaurant my family owned and how glad I was that my mom wasn't paying attention to what game had been delivered (I wasn't allowed to play that game at first but once my mom realized I'd been playing it for a while she gave up). I shudder to think how much money I dropped into that game but it was a lot of fun.

Jedi_Matt likes this.
  8. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    My dad eventually tried to ban my brother and I from playing Mortal Kombat 1 when the news media went after it and claimed that it was responsible for violent behavior in kids.

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    No, because I have the best memories of playing them.

Life likes this.
  10. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I like Dead or Alive for the possibility to do reversals when you time your blocks perfectly.

Also,

11. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Soul Blade is by far my favourite ever. I wish I could still play it but I have nothing set up at the moment.

After that it's the Tekken that came out on the PSP.

12. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition
    Mortal Kombat 1 & 2
    Tekken 3
    Dead or Alive 3
    DBZ Budokai 3

13. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I've played a few of the DBZ games. While unique* and quite fun, I find that most, if not all, of them go through the exact same events every time: saiyan invasion, Cell Games, and sometimes maybe Freeza or Majin Buu.

*Unique compared to most fighting games; not among other games in the DBZ universe.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm only going to list the current fighting games I play, along with my favorite characters from each.

1) DOA 5 Last Round: Mila
    2) Street Fighter IV Ultra: Cammy, Chun-Li
    3) Mortal Kombat 9: Kitana, Mileena
    4) Injustice: Zatanna, Harley Quinn

15. Darth Azerous

Darth Azerous Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2015
    I've really only played MK vs. DCU and MK: 2011. Although I did enjoy them. Anyone play MK: X? What's it like?

16. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    MKX is essentially a continuation of MK9/2011. It does borrow some of the environment interactions present in Injustice as well. It's a solid title.

Darth Azerous likes this.
  17. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Budokai 3 was actually a very solid fighter in its own right, with a lot of characters and unique skills, as well as a really well-done story mode. It's definitely up there for me.

My favorites are probably SCII (Gamecube of course) and III, though I'm also a fan of the Tekken Tag Tournament games and have clocked a lot of time on Virtua Fighter 4. Unless of course we're including the SSB games, in which case those trump everything.

I've recently bought the first BlazBlue game and King of Fighters 98 off of Steam, but haven't messed around with them much yet.

Never really been a big fan of SF or MK. Honestly my fingers aren't nimble enough for a lot of combos, so I prefer more basic movesets and generally get rashed in multi-player.

18. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    What made Budokai 3's story mode so well done? Was the game itself different from previous DBZ games?

And I think Smash Bros should definitely count. My daughter and I have been playing Smash Bros Wii U, though I can't say that I'm as enchanted by it as I was with the original. I can't quite figure out how to do each characters moves, so I end up hacking and slashing relentlessly. I've won several matches online this way, but it's not very graceful.

19. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The movesets are few, and all characters have the same button combos, so it should be quick to learn. Now that I know that Super Smash Bros. counts, that is my absolute favourite beyond doubt.

20. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Well, honestly I haven't played Budokai 3 in several years (I own the first two, despite them being inferior games, but still haven't managed to get the third... I rented it multiple times years ago), so I can't remember everything, but what struck me most was the open-world and the general feeling of freedom in the game. The first game was highly linear. You went from one event to the next. The second was mostly more of the same, though there were a couple of options about who to fight first, and it extended farther in the timeline. The third game of course covered most of the same story... it's DBZ... but it let you play around in the world more. You could explore the map and take your time doing things, and you had some more freedom about when you had to do them, and there were a lot of side quests, if I recall, that were fun to do. And because it was an open world you could go back and visit previous places, and generally go wherever you liked on the map (and flying around the map itself was fun) There were also a lot more characters than in the previous games, to fight and to unlock, including movie characters like Broly and Bardock. I think the fighting in all three of the Budokai games was decent, but the third (and to some extent the second) was more fun and unpredictable. Buu had a lot of crazy moves, for example, that made fighting him a lot different. So, yeah, Budokai 3 would definitely be up there for me as far as fighting games are concerned. Certainly the best anime fighting game I've played.

As for SSB, I still haven't played the new one (no money for a 3DS or a Wii U), and I haven't played much of Brawl either, except at friends' houses (no money for a Wii either...), but I've loved all of the first three games. I think part of me still likes the original best, despite the vast array of options in Melee and Brawl, just because that was the one I spent the most time on and practiced the most at. To some extent the limited character choices gave me more opportunity to try out all of the different characters and become proficient and even good at several of them. And some of the original's stages are still some of my favorites... Hyrule Castle, Saffron City, Sector Z. While they're still no Temple stage, they were all a lot of fun to play around with.

And I've always enjoyed doing the side things in SSB as well, like the target smash and home run stuff, and I thought Subspace Emissary, when I played it with a friend, was actually very well done. In the first SSB I was able to complete all of the target smashes save Yoshi, which always tripped me up.

Oh, and in my earlier post, I meant "thrashed" in multiplayer, not "rashed" in multiplayer. Oops.:p

21. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I mean that I can't consistently get the correct inputs for, say, Link's bow and arrow or bombs.

22. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The combos being mapped to movement directions makes it a bit counter-instinctive to do the actions that are mapped to no direction - such as shooting Link's arrows - because you want to keep moving, right? I don't know if that's what your issue is, but that's how I interpreted what you described, because I frequently made that mistake myself in the start. I still often do the forward-B move in mid-air, when I mean to do the plain B, because my thought process is still focused on moving as much forward as I can.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Just an FYI in case anyone's interested. PSN is having its Black Friday sale and Injustice 2 is down to $20. I liked the original game enough to want the sequel; but only when it came down substantially in price.

heels1785 likes this.
  24. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the SNES.

25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

It's a great game. Great story, too - much better than any fighting game I've seen. Certainly miles ahead of the garbage Marvel put out there in MvC:I.

Also on sale on PSN is Guilty Gear Rev 2, a very fun title. $15.