main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The OC Revolution | NEW! 2Q 2024 Challenge Is Up: Friendship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Chyntuck likes this.
  2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks everyone :) I'll try to come up with something good for the next challenge now.

Findswoman likes this.
  3. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Chyntuck likes this.
  4. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Great stories, all. Congrats Chyntuck on your win!

Chyntuck likes this.
  5. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Yaaaaay, Chyntuck! Congratulations on a very well-deserved win. [face_dancing]

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    This is the autumn/winter challenge provided by Chyntuck

Write a story or a chapter of an on-going story in which the reader is introduced to an OC protagonist entirely through the point of view of another, secondary character. To clarify:
    1) Your OC is the main character of the story/chapter, i.e. the story/chapter is primarily about this OC.
    2) Your OC is not the POV character, i.e. we never get inside your OC's head.
    3) The POV character may be another OC or an established character.
    4) The narrative POV in the story/chapter must be either first-person or third-person limited.

7. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Yes, a new discussion.
    Tell us about the parents of your OC

8. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Question for the challenge: Could the POV character be an established canon character...even a major one?

One more question: Can the OC be someone you've written about before, or do you have to create someone new?

Findswoman likes this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I passed the previous one (even though it was mine, LOL), but I miiight give a try to this one. I never did third person limited and I don't think I actually *know* how to do it.

But the fact that there's no theme leaves pretty much everything else open to imagination. :)

Findswoman likes this.
  10. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Yes. My idea was that the extra difficulty with an established POV character would be to give them small enough a role that it's still an OC fic, and I guess that this would be even more difficult with a major character – but I actually hope that someone will do it!
    Again, it can be either. We're talking about the OC protagonist being "introduced" to the reader within the confines of the challenge entry; if you use an existing OC for this challenge just pretend people haven't read your other stories :)

Findswoman and leiamoody like this.
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Woohoooooooo! Congratulations to Chyntuck [face_love]

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  12. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Yay, family talk!!

For Bree and Blue, who I still plan to write about at some point because they still won't really shut up. Bree's parents are Legends Han and Leia. She's closer to her dad than to her mom, though, since Bree, unlike her siblings, is deaf as a post to the Force. She and Han have learned how to navigate being nonsensitives in a family of Jedi. Blue's family lives on Baroli, and he is very close to them. His dad was a surgeon and Blue's interest in medicine came from watching his father. His mother was a businesswoman. They were socially prominent (mostly due to his mother), and Blue grew up in an upper class home. His mother was a beauty, and Blue inherited his looks (and her artistic sense) from her.

As for Mirany and Kash, Mirany's family has been in the city of Mehr for many generations. Her mother is a sweet but quiet woman who works in a bakery. Her father owns a respected business in town. Like most Mehrine, they had an arranged marriage, but there is true affection and caring between them. Mirany's father's mother was Force sensitive, and he inherited the talent from her but never did anything with it. They have lived in the city of Mehr for all their lives and never intend to leave their home. Kash has no idea who his parents were, and he has often wondered who they were. Did they give him up willingly? Did they want more for him than what they could give him? Or did they not want him? It is an uncertainty that is always in the back of his mind. In a way, Mirany's parents and Kash's parents could not be more different. Hers are from an old, established line and she has always had her family in her life; his is a complete mystery.

13. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Raissa's parents, Laertes and Geniva Baiard, live on the (fanon) planet Bel Luar, halfway across the Galaxy from Merkesh. Her father served in the planet's military for a brief period, but retired to work in droid design and programming. Her mother is a seamstress. Neither of them quite understand their younger daughter's career path . Laertes, having been in the military, is less baffled than his wife, but he would still rather that Raissa had chosen a safer vocation--preferably working in programming like him and her older sister, Amira. Geniva tried her best to dissuade Raissa's early interest in martial arts, insisting that if she took k'tara lessons, she also had to take dance lessons with Amira. This plan ultimately backfired, though, because Raissa found that the timing and footwork she learned dancing was useful in her k'tara lessons as well. Neither of her parents have any idea that Raissa is Force sensitive and training with Doran to become a Jedi.

As a Jedi, Doran--or rather, Domnic, as he was born--hardly knew his parents, having seen them perhaps a dozen times in his life, and most of those visits being a matter of hours. (In this AU, relationships are very strongly discouraged but not outright forbidden) His father, whose name was Doran Jade, owned a cantina on Treasure Ship Row on Corellia called the Mistress of Flasks. He was significantly older than his wife. A young nightclub singer, Althea was also depicted as the Mistress of Flasks on the cantina's sign. Doran Jade died when his son was studying for his Jedi trials. Althea sent Domnic his father's Corellia Navy duty knife as a memorial. In remembrance of the father he hardly knew, but respected for his strength of character, Domnic remade his lightsaber to resemble the duty knife. Later, when he became a fugitive from the Empire, took his father's first name as part of his new identity and took up his father's trade, buying the Café Alderaan. Doran fears to let his mother know he is still alive, believing the contact would put her in jeopardy from the Empire.

Findswoman , divapilot and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
  15. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Yes
    Challenge-deadline: December 31 23.59 Pacific time

Findswoman , Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  16. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Which OC, and which set of parents? I've got so many of both it's hard to keep track of the lot.:p

I've noticed that a few of my OC's don't have great relationships with their parents. For some reason the wealthy kids don't have the greatest parents (except for Cala Siroko; her parents were killed in the Ghorman Massacre, but her grandmother raised her from infancy and resented Cala, as if she was somehow responsible for her parents getting crushed by a Star Destroyer). Another OC, Koury Vita, has a tense relationship with her mother, who cannot accept her daughter is lesbian. Meaithe Akam's parents just hate each other and really should be divorced, but status is everything, so they just resent each other and use their daughter as a messenger/counselor.

The best parental relationship I can think of is the one between Nalieza Fejier and her father, Paurilis. There is great love and trust between them, which explains why Paurilis allowed his daughter to go off to another planet and star in a television series when she was ten years old. (I know, some of you are reading this right now and going "SAAAY WHAAT?!). But it's a good arrangement for them; he works as a History professor on their planet of residence (not their homeworld...there's no place back there for either one of them...too many bad memories and family squabbles, etc). Nalieza was officially put into the custody of her "birth sponsor", Shen Mekori, who also happens to be her agent. It sounds skeevy, but there is a very big emotional reason for Paurilis to let his only living child go off to pursue her dreams. She's very much like her mother, a deceased actress named Maiena Isoderi who committed suicide after a miscarriage. Nalieza was only two years old when her mother died, and doesn't remember her physical presence very much. Going into acting is the most concrete way of connecting with her mother...again, it doesn't make sense on the surface, but I tend to write about emotional/spiritual attachments which often creates unorthodox relationships between everyone, not just parents and children.

17. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    My OC Lens Eli never knew his parents. His mother dropped him on the steps of the temple and disappeared. I have never explored the characters of the parents as they are not necessarily critical to Lens' story. However, Lens was 'adopted' by Kam and Tionne Solusar as their son. Though Kam and Tionne were the Creche Masters, they took a special interest in the foundling Lens. I have explored Lens and Tionne's relationship. Kam has been present, but not much has been inspired in that regard.

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    So, I have a rough idea for the challenge response. It's most likely going to be short and first-person, but yeah. Not afraid to tackle it anymore. :p I just don't want to end up as that person who didn't write from May to November and then turned out to have written more stories than everybody else in 2017. 8-}

19. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Does anyone have any character sheets thatwork well for Star Wars?

20. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Just go to the roleplaying forum, pick any SW game, and copy paste the character sheet from their intro' post.

Perhaps not Bravo's; he always goes for insanely long ones.

whiskers likes this.
  21. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Only 30 days to go for the challenge

I am very busy at the moment. Selling a house, moving my mom and help her settling in and with that and the current discussion about parents of your OC, tell us about caring for parents (or not)

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Hope all will be fine. I am sure that selling is stressful, but I hope your mom will like it at her new place. <3

Still need to write a response to the previous theme AND integrate this new sub-question - if one can call it that - into it. I just...I just...have too many OCs.

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Yeah, a double post...for a good reason. Bri, please don't kill me. I don't spam threads, I just have too.many.ideas.

I am looking for some input from you all who are planning to add your OCs to the very-neglected-but-extremely-useful OC Index Thread and ping the OCIndexSock when done. Basically, I plan to nuke my entire entry and slowly add characters, one by one. The problem is - I have too many OCs, because I have written too many stories. :p

So...I need practical suggestions.

1. Should I put the characters that appear in most stories first?

2. Should I list the rest by story?

3. What to do with historical characters, who are only referenced by the "current" ones at this point?

4. What to do with characters that are, say, babies and children in one story, and have secondary roles; and then have bigger roles as adults, in other stories?

5. I wrote a lot with two characters that were not created by me, the original author never listed them. Is it ethical to list them and write who created them?

P.S. I LOVE indexing stuff, that one's not an issue. :p

24. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    When I tried to update/rewrite mine (damn you TLJ hysteria crashing the boards!), I was just starting in alphabetical order by first name. I don't really deal with minor OCs, only those in "starring roles."

As for OCs with different ages, I just try and keep the biography short, really. And list them if they make any appearance at all.

25. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2017
    Kyber is the eldest son, and heir, to the Acyk Jedi bloodline. His parents, Wolff Acyk and Teeubo Acyk, are both well known throughout the galaxy for their courage and also their devotion to those who are helpless and oppressed. He, along with his brothers and sisters, have a loving and nurturing relationship with their parents although it is strained at times, due to their duty as Jedi Sentinel investigators, which can take them away from home for months or years at a time on missions.

I have explored the relationship between son, father and mother many times. Being heir to the bloodline of a strong Mandalorian/Twi'lek Jedi family, Kyber is often told that he has a lot to live up to in regards to his parents. But, he always brushes the questions off and has begun to his own trail through the galaxy.

BookExogorth likes this.