main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Solo box-office discussion

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by dolphin, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    The Solo spinoff will have very tough competition for #1 or #2 movie of the year (Avengers 3, Jurassic World) but we've seen how well even an anthology film can do (Rogue One is top 10 of all time).

How do you think Solo will fare at the boxoffice (domestic and global)?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    200 billion dollars.

MrDarth0, Mostly Handless and EHT like this.
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I think it will make more money than I do.

To be fair, if like, three people buy tickets for it, it'll make more money than I do.

4. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Wonder if it'll beat RO at box office.. Hmm.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I think it probably will. It has the advantage of having beloved characters even if they're played by other actors. But it won't be the #1 film of the year.

6. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Yeah, Probably won't be. Hope it is though..

7. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It'd be nice but I don't think there's a chance in hell it'll beat Infinity War.

8. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Infinity War is gonna be huge.. Gonna be tough. But it's SW..:)

9. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Will opening in the fading light of Last Jedi help or hurt? Dunno. I'm sure Kathleen wants to know too.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  10. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    hard to say honestly, because of all the hoopla surrounding this movie but it has great actors and stuff so very hard.

11. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    [​IMG]

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  12. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    As of now I'd say between $450M-500M

I think certainly in the era of the Disney releases, this one has the biggest uphill climb.

13. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    I'm pretty positive on Solo in general but I don't expect it to make as much as Rogue One. Why, I'm not entirely sure...it should be smaller-scale, I guess, more of a true side-story than anything we've seen so far. If it's pretty well received and well reviewed, I'd guess $750M give or take.

For 2018, even if Solo does pretty well it might have to fight for a top five placing at the box office. Avengers 3 seems to me like the clear pick for winner. Then you've also got Incredibles 2, Deadpool 2, Jurrasic World. Ready Player One seems like the wild-card.

14. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    The biggest issue is it's the fourth Star Wars film in two-and-a-half years. All going to plan, TLJ should generate excitement, but it also means that people will be looking ahead to IX, not backwards towards Solo.

But it wasn't like people were clamoring for a prequel about the Death Star plans, either. And Solo benefits from Chewbacca. This could end up being a really fun film that again taps into that ANH charm, maybe with a Jabba cameo and other cool nods. I think $450m-500m is about right.

15. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Hopefully we’ll get the teaser soon, which should,give us a better idea of how the film will be received. I’m positive for Solo, but a little nervous about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Are those predicting $450-$500m talking about Nth America only?

I think this movie desperately needs a GREAT trailer. Like something that everyone talks about & must be seen. If they can create enough hype & expectation then I think $800-$900m is on the cards. I'll be surprised if it reaches R1 levels though.

17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It looks like he's been gone for about a month. Maybe avoiding spoilers.

19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That, or we slew him. I'll never tell. :)

20. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    $350 million domestic. This is arguably Lucasfilm's toughest sell to date (troubled production, recasting a beloved major role), and its release is nestled in between a bunch of highly anticipated sequels:

Infinity War - 5/4
    Deadpool 2 - 6/1
    Incredibles 2 - 6/15
    Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - 6/22

Darth Nerdling and Miles Lodson like this.
  21. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I don't think it will do as good as Rogue one did :/
    But I hope it does well enough, about $750 - $800 million would be great!
    Anyway, I'll be doing my part watching it a few times!

22. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    If Rogue One made $155M then I think Solo will make around $175-180M opening weekend domestically.

23. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think Solo will not perform like R1.
    1. The date in May only 6 months after 8
    2. The story might attract fandom but not other audience like maybe R1 did

On the other hand I think that the performance of TLJ might influence a lot of people to see Solo.
    If TLJ disappoints storywise Solo might get a problem

Hopeless and Sith-I-5 like this.
  24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    We just haven't seen any serious publicity yet. That first teaser may pop online and, "Oh my word yes. This looks fantastic.". and then all worries will fade away.

Mostly Handless and Giovs like this.
  25. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    This one is really hard to predict, especially before any marketing/publicity to get a taste of what the film will be like.

Part of me is like, it's Star Wars, it will at least crack $1 billion world wide. This is like the opposite of JL. JL came after a divisive Man of Steel and a disastrous Batman v Superman and people weren't willing to give DC/Snyder a 3rd chance even after Wonder Woman. Solo will be coming off TFA, Rogue One and TLJ. The first two were fantastic successes with big critical and audience support and TLJ looks set to continue that. So there will be a lot of good will for the Star Wars brand going into Solo.

That said, it's a movie no one asked for - Han Solo without Harrison Ford. That's a hard sell. Plus the behind the scenes issues and director change (though that likely won't be an issue for the general audience who don't follow these movies through production online). And it's not in a nice release spot, coming after Avengers: Infinity War and before Incredibles 2 (with Jurassic World following soon after).

If it looks good and is marketed well than I think it will join Rogue One with over a billion. If it doesn't look good in the marketing (if they can't sell the general audience on a new actor playing Han Solo) then it may come down to the $700-900 million range. Still a good box office result but I guess it depends how much the reshoots/extended principle photography added to the budget and what Disney/Lucasfilm's expectations are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.