main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which number Star Wars movie is Last Jedi? 8th, 9th, 13th?!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BigAl6ft6, Dec 4, 2017.

?

What # of Star Wars movie is The Last Jedi?

1. 8th movie

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. 9th movie

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. 10th movie

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  4. 11th movie

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. 12th movie

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. 13th movie

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. Ahhhhh!!!!

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Okay, hear me out on this:

Star Wars The Last Jedi is Episode 8. Okay, fine. In that series. And then there's Rogue One which makes it the 9th Star Wars movie. Still with me, I guess.

But THEN there's the Clone Wars movie. Sure, it was cobbled together from various pilot episode stuff but it's a movie. Theatrical release and everything. So that makes TLJ the 10th Star Wars movie.

And THEN there's Two Ewok TV movies (Which got theatrical releases outside of the States). So I guess those count too, even if not- canon anymore. But they were Star Wars TV movies. So that makes TLJ the 12th Star Wars movie.

And THEN the Star Wars Holiday Special. Yes, not-canon, awful, etc. But it is basically a bunch of skits to make a TV movie. I mean, what else could one classify it as?

So, add all those up, we got The Last Jedi as basically "Star Wars #13"

Am I close? Missing something? Complete bantha poodu?

B3 likes this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, it's the 8th in the Saga of course, but it's the 12th movie. The Clone Wars and the Ewok movies are actual movies, so they count - whether or not you like them (and whether or not they're canon), they do exist.
    The Holiday Special, on the other hand, was never a movie. It's a holiday variety show.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Going on purely theatrical, TLJ will be the 10th, with the additions of TCW and R1. It will be the 9th Live-action film though.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I agree, like, 90% that the Holiday Special is a variety show but the small part of it that makes me wonder is the structure of it. Variety specials are something I view as no plot structure or narrative, host comes out, "Here's the plate spinners!" , plate spinner spins plates, host claps, etc. America's Got Talent or Gong Show style structure. Which to say there isn't one

Now there's an element of that to the Holiday Special that as it careens wildly from one "variety act" to the next. But it's also a narrative plot structure with Han and Chewie and company trying to get to Life Day on Chewie's home planet. And there isn't a host, it doesn't break the 4th wall and address the audience really, and it has a narrative that reaches a conclusion. So that's why a small part of me thinks of it as a TV movie ala the Ewok flicks. Structurally, it feels more like a movie than a variety special. Not a very good one of either but that's kinda beside the point....

Iron_lord and B3 like this.
  5. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Nitpicky as I am it's a "Star Wars" film, thus "Star Wars 8" or Star Wars "VIII" works fine with me.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Episode VIII It's the 12th Star Wars movie made.

How is that confusing?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    TLJ is the ninth. Episode VIII had Rey and a karate master but they all died in the end except for Admiral Ackbar.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    13th, baby, yeeeaaahhh!
    While I understand the debatability of including the Holiday Special, the fact that it
    1) is ultimately descended from GL's idea for a "Wookiee movie"
    2) fits so snugly into my SW marathons
    3) is actually better than one of the numbered Episodes
    means that it counts, making a total of 13.

Jedi Knight Fett and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    hahha I'm doing a Star Wars marathon right now and incorporating some Rebels and Clone Wars and Rogue One in it too and now I'm thinking I kind of have to throw the Holiday Special in there. Dammit, I planned this all out very carefully leading up to The Last Jedi, I don't have time!

okay, maybe I'll just skip to the end and watch Leia sing the Life Day song. Or maybe I'll save that for Christmas.

B3 likes this.
  10. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I consider it the 9th movie in a marathon (though 8th in the saga. Rogue One isn’t required). Including the Clone Wars movie in the Saga makes no sense to me unless you’re also going to watch the entire series.

Introducing Ahsoka as Anakin’s Padawan and having her disappear off the face of the galaxy in the next movie doesn’t flow very well. Same with Ventress.

11. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Well I’d say 10th if we’re going by canon order.

12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Going by official releases, it’s the 12th Star Wars movie. Whether or not they’re all currently canon/part of the Saga experience is irrelevant in this context, IMO.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Does the Holiday Special not qualify then? It may have been Made For TV, but it was official at the time - so wouldn't it qualify as a Movie?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_film

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    To my understanding, it was a TV special, not a movie.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Extremely long TV specials are sometimes called "television movies". The Ewoks films are also placed in the "television movie" slot on the list here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_films_and_television_series

so if we include them, it's hard not to include the Holiday special - and if we exclude the Holiday Special - exactly why wouldn't they be excluded too?

Is it purely because:

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    No, it’s because they are movies and the Holiday Special is a TV special :)
    I’m not saying that’s the definitive answer, just that this is currently my point of view.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    That's a good point that in context it's an outlier however instead of doing TCW film and full TCW rewatch (it gets a little TCW heavy if one watched the full series in between the films) I think the TCW film and skip way ahead to the Ahsoka Wrong Jedi arc, which is a 4 parter and the 4 part TCW arcs were really structured almost as 90 minute movies anyway. But they weren't movies, technically but they kinda work as such. Thread is all about nitpicky about what is or isn't a movie anyway, hahaha

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I only count 10 theatrical movies

19. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I was only able to watch @15 minutes. Never tried to watch it again.

20. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    When talking about feature films, I say TLJ is the 9th. Yes, I know TCW got a theatrical feature film. But it was cobbled together from 4 TV episodes, and the budget was pretty low (I know the original SW had a low budget, but that's because it was the first one).
    The Ewok films were made for tv, so I don't consider them part of what consitutes a Star Wars feature film as we know it.

21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    9th, according to this artist.

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.