main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Does the vd do a good job of covering Canto Bight and its denizens? I was a little disappointed with the R1 vd in terms of alien coverage...

2. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999

I do...weak and frail.

Though, he also reminds me of Atha Prime.

3. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I peeked at the Canto Bight VD pages and a personalized hype bug flitted out and bit me right on the nose:

Baroness Wayulia Tagge-Simoni [face_dancing]

It was 2 AM when I came across that entry and I kept reading her name as Waluigi. "...too frail and aged to attend in person, but appears as a young holographic head projected from a droid body." So extra, so flamboyant, so Tagge. [face_tee_hee] I am pleased.

And holy freakin' LOL, the Grammus sisters, right below Tagge's entry. I cackled. What lazy names. Dope mask design, though. And I'm guessing the turkey-looking fellow's name of Trypto is a play on tryptophan?

(Image link: VD page cropped down to the entries I'm talking about.)

4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Nothing spoilery are you crazy!! Big spoilers and it ruins an entire character

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Massive spoilers from Visual Dictionary. I'm making conjectures based on the VD, but if my theory is right, don't look if you don't want to be spoiled about a possible Ep. 8 plot twist...
    Doesn't the art of the Prime Jedi (the first Jedi ever) that is in the First Jedi temple look like Snoke? Or is that just me? It's on the second page of 'Luke Skywalker: The Last Jedi' section of the book.

Moreover, this Prime Jedi is seen in the image "balancing" between light and dark. Didn't Snoke say (I think in the TFA novel) that he recruited Ben Solo because he has a balance of light and dark within him??

If Luke found out the founder of the Jedi Order was actually Snoke, it goes a long way to explaining why he feels the Jedi must end.

6. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I really, really like that idea of Snoke being the first Jedi...

Sable_Hart and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  7. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Maybe it's just me; I've been following some of the spoilers and leaks, but even they haven't really revealed much beyond an assumed structure for the first two acts. A lot of the VD stuff feels like establishing information to me, rather than reveals and plot payoffs, though there are a few hints as to where characters might go in the second and third acts.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If so that would render Snoke as a Lucifer-figure.

First to feel and wield the Force, first to rebel and fall.

PCCViking and Sable_Hart like this.
  9. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It feels too "written" -- the first Jedi versus the last Jedi. Why would he still be alive, and the very first Jedi of all people? Not to mention he's only cropped up at this point in the timeline at just the time Luke discovers the first Temple. Sounds way too convenient (as well as seeming like a retcon to explain why it's the "First Order") and hopefully Rian isn't as one-note as that.

10. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It's not that Snoke's only popped up at the point in the timeline when Luke discovers the first Jedi temple. It's Snoke's arrival that leads Luke to the First Jedi Temple while researching Snoke. When Luke's like--"No, Snoke can't really be him, Snoke's just a fraud and I'll go to the First Jedi Temple to prove it. Here we are, First Jedi Temple--oh NO it's true!"

As to why Snoke has been in hiding for a thousand generations and didn't pop up until now--it could tie into the Chosen One prophecy. Snoke waited for the Chosen One to do--whatever--and when that didn't meet to Snoke's expectations, he finally decided to do things himself.

There's still a massive plot hole that makes me doubt this theory though. If Snoke was the first Jedi, he'd easily know where the first Temple is and where Luke was and the whole of TFA wouldn't really have happened. Did Kylo and Snoke know that the map they were hunting was a map to the First Jedi Temple and not just a map to Luke? Or did only Han, Lor San Tekka, and Leia know it was a map to the First Jedi Temple. Someone who has seen TFA multiple times or very recently may be able to comment on this.

11. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    It’s a little tempting to click on all those spoilers, but nah. Only a week away now.

Gamiel and my kind of scum like this.
  12. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Just a few days until the wait is over. Already regret clicking on some spoiler tags so close to the release even if they weren't big.

my kind of scum likes this.
  13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I dunno - that strikes me as one of the smallest problems with the theory - remembering a specific set of hyperspace coordinates is hard, especially after thousands of years. And that is assuming they knew that Luke was going after the First Temple in the first place. Plus, hypserpace drift could mean that his old set of coordinates wouldn't work anymore.

sidv88 likes this.
  14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    A few random thoughts:

• Very disappointed that there is nothing about Luke's Jedi books.
    • I do like the idea that Snoke was the first Jedi who represented both the light and dark side. That was my personal theory ever since the "First Order" name was first revealed. But if Snoke actually is just some guy from the Unknown Regions who has no prior connection to the Jedi, it seems odd that he apparently fetishizes Palpatine so much by emulating his trappings.
    • Interesting also that there seems to be an attempt to have the Praetorians mirror the Inquisitors from Rebels.
    • I like Snoke's attendant. The idea of a species of sentient hyperspace navigators in the Unknown Regions is pretty good.
    • Surprised that the compass from BF2 will appear, or more accurately, that the BF2 makers were allowed to put it into the game.
    • It feels a small bit insulting that the Battle of Crait is explicitly compared to the Battle of Hoth in-universe. That feels like a way to pre-emptively insulate from claims it's mirroring ESB. And to that... seriously, Rey goes into a Force cave and gets a dark side influenced vision of her personal demons?
    • I was quite tickled that Rose's entry references the Battle Analysis Computer from Truce at Bakura.

15. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    I’ve been thinking, what if the entire NR fleet was at the Hosnian system because that session of congress was going to be when the Republic decided to officially fight against the First Order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghost likes this.
  16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Parallela Grammus. [face_rofl]

17. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    So spoilers about Luke's page on the TLJ visual dictionary.

The recovered Jedi Crusader Pendant really pipes my interest. Besides it being the first nu canon example of a ruined/broken ancient sith saber, it seems to hint that there was a sub faction of jedi long ago more focused on the warrior path. Their is an emphasize on "Crusader" instead of being called just a jedi pendant. It also reveals a mentality that the PT jedi do not share, such as taking weapons from dead enemies and using them to make trophies to wear on the body. If Rians trilogy is about jedi vs sith or Disney explores that conflict somewhere else, Im hoping Jedi crusaders can be fleshed out. Unlike the Legends Revans Crusaders, this one could not be doomed with the previous knowledge they would fall in a short time, to death or the darkside. Something that can last longer then 1 generation, perhaps taking inspiration from the Knight Templars and other groups.

18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    This could just be in line with the Legends' more militarized version of Jedi who existed prior to the Battle of Ruusan. Once the Sith were thought destroyed, the Jedi became less militarized, abolished the title of Jedi Lord and the Army of Light, and became the PT Jedi.

We know from the Propaganda book that a similar New Sith Wars happened in canon but much worse--the Sith actually took over Coruscant.
    possible major spoiler discussion regarding Snoke
    If Snoke is indeed the Prime Jedi, it's possible he was actually recently resurrected and not just around for 25,000 years. There's still the Project Resurrection business from the recent Battlefront 2 game to take into account.

19. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Im hoping he isn't. Not a fan of the recant resurrection idea. Clone of an ancient jedi could work, but not the soul of a long dead man returning to life. Also I don't like the idea of a darksider cheating death. While Legends allowed force users using unnatural means to survive long periods of time, I don't want to see that return to the new continuity. Jedi or Sith living beyond a human lifespan should be kept to aliens who naturally live longer.

20. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    //Palpatine voice//

"Do it."

21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It is unavoidable. It is your destiny. :emperor:

Hehe, seriously, go binge read on another franchise that interests you to avoid SW spoilers. :)

22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I thought I cared about TLJ spoilers and avoiding them.

[​IMG]

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    About the Snoke thing:
    Even if he was the "first" Jedi or whatever, what does that mean now? It's sort of like the old EU and how "Sith" weren't always evil. Their actions made them evil. Snoke can call himself the first Jedi all day long but if he's doing things that seem decidely "un-Jedi" in comparison to what Yoda and Obi-Wan preached, then he's a Jedi In Name Only (oh god not that acronym again)...

I mean is the big plot twist this dude going, "Luke, guess what? I'm the evil first Jedi!" in his bathrobe? I mean Luke's gonna cave for that? I can't believe Kylo did. I mean honestly those must have been some srs Vader-flavored drugs the Snokester was peddling the day he lured in Kylo.

I AM A PERSON AND MY NAME IS BARRISS.
    That used to sound cooler before Barriss became a jerk.
    But yeah that was me. You can talk to me. You can say "I do declare BC that you think everyone is Cronal" and you'd probably be more or less in the ballpark.
    But to defend my ulterior motives:
    That purple dude in the cloak was a buddy of his from the Unknown Regions, and there's all this stuff about him hanging in the Unknown Regions. So I'm thinking hey, Cronal was an ugly creepster dude in a chair who made giantass holograms of himself to call up his underlings when they least expected it, plus got all his bling from being a crazy not-Sith-but-dark-side sorcerer in the Unknown Regions, and that sort of describes Snoke. Now granted, Snoke doesn't possess people with sentient mud that lives in his hat, nor does he drive a flying volcano. But until I'm proven wrong, I reserve the right to consider him another Cronal. Everyone's a Cronal until proven innocent in this GFFA.

24. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Sorry, I was under the impression the Cronal stuff was coming from multiple people. I wasn't paying too much attention.

My only exposure to Cronal was Shadows of Mindor and I'm pretty sure there's a brief alluding to him in the Dark Empire sourcebook. I know he's an earlier comic character as well but I've never read those.

I don't remember much about him peojecting giant holograms but I'm surprised that you didn't mention that both Cronal and Snoke both possess more mental prowess over combat-like abilities. They both use the Force to warp people's brains and are quite skilled at manipulation. That's the biggest similarity I can see at this point.

25. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Speaking of the Canto Bight guests:

I really, really want a comic about the adventures of Master Codebreaker and Lovey.

And a clip of Snook Uccorfay dazzling the ladies with his "exceptional dancing."

Gamiel and Senator Wan like this.