main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #38-43: The Ashes of Jedha (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 4, 2017.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Jedha was a moon that orbited the planet NaJedha. In issue 38 they call it a moon several times during the issue. In the opening crawl of issue 39 they do call it a planet. Probably just an error or is meant to imply that it was like a planet since people lived there. In anycase it was still called a moon by a character within issue 39.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I noticed that too. but a decent issue anyway, mostly because it got to have Luke do some Jedi business.

3. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Is it just me, or is Luke portrayed as being a bit crazy and unstable in the pre ESB stuff?

A little early isn't it?

kalzeth likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think it's been done really great. He's still rushing into things as the farmboy with a lightsaber however he shows moments of brilliance where he's one with the Force and doing things beyond what he could do. But he's still Luke, and one of my favourite moments was in this issue when he cut through the house and went "Sorry about your wall."

Revanfan1 and BobaMatt like this.
  5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I've figured that he's feeling particularly strongly because of this planet's relationship to the Force and the Jedi, and his desire to serve...but without any guidance.

6. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I think it would be incorrect for us just to assume that those feelings suddenly came out of nowhere once Ep. V happened. Makes a lot more sense for those feelings to have always been there to some extent.

7. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Yeah but you can over do it. Luke seems like an time bomb waiting to happen. There is nothing particularly relatable about Luke as of late.

They made this mistake with Anakin in the prequels...he's not a particularly sympathetic character and George Lucas corrected this by making him more human in the Clone Wars cartoon.

Luke seems to have no interest in the regular aspects of life and is somewhat portrayed as Anakin-lite

I think Al Williamson wrote the best post ANH pre Empire Luke. He had plenty of mystical moments but he still had humanity.

kalzeth and Vialco like this.
  8. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    The problem with Anakin in the PT wasn't so much that he wasn't sympathetic enough. It was that the writing for the PT was all in all terrible.

redxavier and kalzeth like this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't you mean Archie Goodwin?

10. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Yes.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    He's obsessed with figuring this stuff out. I think it's okay for that single-mindedness and confusion to make him unlikeable sometimes. That doesn't make it bad writing.

12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Luke, Leia, and Han during the OT era are the three characters us Star Wars fans tend to be the most picky about. Many of us have been creating images in our heads of what they should be like since we were kids and it can be challenging for us to accept differing interpretations of those characters.

masterskywalker likes this.
  13. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Of course! I'm just saying that doesn't mean that characterizations that surprise us are bad.

14. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I know and I'm saying that to. Just because something isn't fitting with our headcanon doesn't mean it is bad writing. Just means the current writers have a differing interpretation of these characters than we do. The OT was actually pretty vague as far as what Luke, Han, and Leia were really like so there is a lot of room for interpretation.

Darth_Voider and BobaMatt like this.
  15. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
  16. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Kieron Gillen interview.
    https://news.marvel.com/comics/81648/star-wars-hearts-kyber/
    Marvel.com: With Luke preoccupied with his Jedi training, who might step up to lead the fight against the Empire?
    Kieron Gillen: “What’s the right thing to do?” is just one of the questions that haunt this story. Hell, it haunts all fiction—or at least my own. I think you can chase that through the cast in the arc. Some of the characters go the other way—chasing the martyr journey that Jyn Erso ended up taking. Okay, that might be a bit philosophical for an answer, but to be more specific, Han would be the person I’d keep an eye on for the rest of the arc.

Each of the main three characters have their own arc in “The Ashes of Jedha,” and they rise and fall at different times. Luke’s started earliest and peaks with the training. Han starts lower and builds bigger later.

Marvel.com: How do Han and Leia react to Luke now that he’s gone off to do his own thing?
    Kieron Gillen: I’d say the head-to-head between Leia and Luke says it all. It’s a fair question. What is practical in a situation? Either way, someone will have to make amends.

Marvel.com: Since the Death Star attack, what strategic value does Jedha hold for the Empire and the Rebellion respectively?
    Kieron Gillen: For the Empire, it’s what it always was—a place rich in the resources they want. They’re a gauntlet squeezing the last bit of juice from the orange. The Empire needs all the orange juice it can get. Conversely, for the Rebellion, they don’t think the Empire should be allowed anything with Vitamin C in at all. They want the Empire to get scurvy. Any time the Empire try to buy some fruit juice, they’re arrive, swatting away the grasping gauntlet-y fingers.

Err…I’m not talking about actual orange juice, by the way.

Marvel.com: Right there with ya! Will we see any familiar faces in this struggle for Jedha?
    Kieron Gillen: Well, Chewie has been conspicuously absent. I need to get some Bowcasting action in, surely?

Marvel.com: Oh yeah. Last question: how does it feel to have the chance to tell these stories between the action fans already know so well?
    Kieron Gillen: It’s pretty magical. I’m working on the second arc at the moment, and I feel that I’ve really got the characters under my fingers. It feels like such a wonderful period of growth for the three core members and the Alliance, and getting to delineate the adventures they have along the way is so much fun.

What I’m doing is basically what I did with DARTH VADER—look at the gap in time, work out what’s been implicitly changed in that space, and then try to cook up a compelling reason for all those changes. Well, all the changes that [previous series writer] Jason Aaron hasn’t already touched on. That the book leans more towards the military side of the Rebels really brings Leia forward and Han’s conflicted response to it all. The trick ends up being about balance, so all the cast have their parts to play. For me, it’s an ensemble cast and I want to give everyone something.

Also, it never gets boring working out cool things you can do with a lightsaber.

Kieron Gillen and artist Salvador Larroca’s STAR WARS #41 hits on January 3!

17. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Really no surprise. That's the direction these stories have been headed
    Luke having more of an interest in his own personal goals than that of the overall Rebellion
    since Marvel started this series in 2015 and we found out that Luke secluded himself on an island over 30 years later.

18. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars #40 preview.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009

It is an interesting change compared to the stories told in the EU. In the EU, Luke is anchored to the Rebellion and his relationship with Han keeps bring Han back. Right after the battle of the Death Star, Han leaves, while Luke helps the Rebellion find a new base. In new continuity, Han is anchored to the Rebellion apparently only through his relationship with Leia (we never really see Han or Luke make friends with other Rebels) and Luke keeps getting brought back by that relationship. Why does the Rebellion keep bailing Luke out? We had the Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon arc and the Screaming Citadel arc where Luke had to be rescued because he wandered off to pursue his own goals. In the EU, I feel the Rebellion would have abandoned Luke because they didn't have the resources or need the distraction of rescuing him.

I might be in the minority, but this current approach, while new, seems off to me by what we've seen in the movies. In Star Wars, Luke is eager to go against the Death Star and in The Empire Strikes Back, Luke is clearly integrated into the Rebellion ranks (Commander Luke Skywalker) while Han is eager to leave to pay off Jabba. I don't recall Han having a rank by the time Empire Strikes Back happens. IMHO Luke shouldn't be interested in his pursuing his Jedi heritage until he is prodded by Ben Kenobi on Hoth to seek out Yoda.

kalzeth likes this.
  20. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    This last part is from this movie?
    [​IMG]

21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    rjrjr if Luke wasn't so strong with the force he probably wouldn't be cut so much slack. But since he is he is going to have the Rebellion look the other way in many cases. Same case in sports. Teams cut players who are really good a lot more slack than they do players that aren't.

22. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Also, the Alliance is promotion-happy enough that Han and Lando are both generals at Endor and Luke never makes it past Commander. So he probably wasn’t really pulling his weight in the Rebellion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Which movie is that?

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

24. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Joaquin Phoenix watching the birthday party footage in Signs (here's the clip). Nice catch Jedi Jessy!

25. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I don't know which is worse. An intergalactic warring race of aliens that can be defeated by Windows 95 or that can be beaten by throwing water at them.