main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to TLJ: Canto Bight

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 20, 2017.

1. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    NO SPOILERS

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm really curious whether that title is supposed to be referring to Pulp Fiction the movie - which I guess could fit - or the generic concept of pulp fiction - which I'd say pretty much all Star Wars is already.

(But not curious enough to actually watch it, since I already know I'm getting this)

3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I think it's funny when people are so obviously insecure of their preferences that they have to pre-emptively wrap themselves in thirty layers of passive-aggressive snark in order to allow them to dismiss all differing opinions.

4. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Started listening to the first story this morning. It's already very delightful.

5. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Can't remember if I mentioned this here, so I'll just do so now. For those reading/listening, I highly recommend you not skip around and read the novellas in the order they are listed. The stories cascade from other to the other and there are some other things in there that just work better if you read them in order.

Of course, you paid for the book (presumably) so you can read it however you wish.

6. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    So overall; what did you guys think? (Spoilers are fine) I decided that I didn't have any interest in this novella collection but I'm curious what it included. Something about wine from another dimension......?

7. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    The first story was fun and actually gave me the feels.

my kind of scum likes this.
  8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Was surprised this was already out when I went to my local bookstore yesterday. Even though I bought it because I'm a brainwashed loyal fan, I think I'll save it for my Christmas reading pile along with The Hand Of Thrawn Duology and TLJ Visual Dictionary

9. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    My favorite part is when the gay alien rock monster Sweetie calls Mike Wazowski a bad boy while fondling him and throws him violently into a mudbath

10. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    What were the details of the presence of beings from another dimension in the book?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Got the call that my local bookstore got this in today so I ran to pick it up. Strangely enough, this is probably my most anticipated Star Wars book this year so I am excited to dive in to it tonight.

Edit: I was surprised to see that this takes place prior to TFA in the timeline.

12. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
  13. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    A few chapters into the first story. Don’t think I’ve ever laughed as much when listening to an audiobook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Really enjoyed the first story - thought it was very well-written with some interesting characters and a fun wrap-up.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    You gotta sympathize with the dude in the first one. Anyone who's traveled anywhere ever.

I'm going to try my hardest to enjoy this trip!
    World: No.

That author must travel a lot.

16. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    With spoilers

17. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I love Kedpin Shoklop!
    [​IMG]

18. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    Just a lore clarification for everyone - since I'm seeing it wrong in several places on the Internets - the whole of this book takes place BEFORE TFA. Like...right before, but still before. So, Hosnian Prime has not yet gone boom, and all of the other shenanigans from TFA have not happened.

*The more you know*

19. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    I’m about halfway through and loving it so far.
    On those characters from The Wine in Dreams...
    They claim to be from a dimension on the “other side of hyperspace.” The other POV characters seem to differ on whether they believe them or not. I choose to believe them because it’s more fun that way, but the arguably-main character is pretty confident they’re just from some unknown planet in the regular old galaxy. For a second I thought they might be from the Legends-verse, but there’s probably no way that would be allowed. (Also they said this dimension was more violent than theirs, soooo...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    OMG That was my image of him - pink - the entire time. I kept trying to change it (think of him wearing pants! a different shaped eye! eyelashes! anything!) but every time my efforts failed miserably.

I loved the first one. On the Wine one.

DarthInternous -- I feel like between this book, Certain POV, and TFA's Tales of the GFFA and Before the Awakening, that you guys heard all those years of fans begging for more "Tales of..." books and are going above and beyond on these short story anthologies. I love reading all these different stories by very different authors -- each one's a surprise. Plus short stories and sci-fi go so well together.

Also: THANK YOU for all the aliens! I love alien protagonists and the crazy non-human shenanigans they get into!

21. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    I had to go back and check just to confirm I included any humans at all. Indeed, just one. (He was drunk.)

The audiobook really is a special treat. Jonathan's voices for the brothers are distinct and distinctly hilarious.

22. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    So...is that an Otherspace reference?

23. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    Thanks, but to clarify - "you guys" (presuming you mean Del Rey), I had nothing to do with Before the Awakening or Tales of the GFFA. Those were DPW books.

GrandAdmiralJello and Daneira like this.
  24. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    It's okay for them to release these books from time to time. The books aren't going anywhere, but I do agree that they are really focusing on the visual medium and they could afford to do less of that.

25. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    My interview with StarWars.com about the book has gone online here.