main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Non Spoiler] Twitter Reaction/Reviews

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Justrec, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Justrec

Justrec Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 13, 2014
    The tweet embargo lifts tonight sometime after the screening of the premier (If someone has the exact time please post it below).

We're trying to practice safe tweet watching, so post the vaguest of reactions and short reviews from twitter here. If you have to ask yourself "is that considered a spoiler?", then it is. This thread is for the people that doesn't want to go on twitter out of fear of being randomly spoiled, but are okay with vague reactions after the screening.

Raz Zaphon likes this.
  2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I am not sure if I am the only one, but I tend to consider twitter reactions and reviews, as much vague they may be, as spoilers.

I wouldn't want to know what people think about the movie before I can make my own personal review upon watching it.

J7Luke and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  3. Justrec

Jun 13, 2014
    That's fine, we're not all the same. I'd just avoid the thread then

4. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    It is going to be very hard to avoid the RT score. I see these twitter reactions similarly to that.

5. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I've blocked a bunch of keywords and hashtags related to Star Wars on Twitter...I've also got a couple browser extensions that block YouTube recommendations and comments. I think I'm pretty much set for the week! This time next week, I'll have seen The Last Jedi TWICE!

6. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    CosmicDust likes this.
  7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Justrec

I agree with Ricardo Funes. The whole point of this section of the forum is to not have to avoid any of it and to discuss things freely. I do think twitter reactions are spoiler enough to warrant being in the Spoilers Allowed area. And that it's up to someone who is only interested in twitter reactions to tread lightly in that section of the forum to make sure they don't see any other spoilers. Versus those coming to the No Spoilers Allowed section and having to avoid any of it because they consider it a spoiler. A spoiler is a spoiler no matter how little it may be.

Perhaps a moderator can weigh in on this?

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Gladly. We've had spoiler free reaction threads for both TFA and RO, so this thread is not without precedent. However, reactions posted here should essentially be restricted to "I thought it was good", "I thought it was bad", "the acting was good", and the likes.
    No plot details, specifics about scenes, characters, locations, etc. that was not already known through official releases such as trailers.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  9. Justrec

Jun 13, 2014
    I'll get this thread popping with tweets soon, and more on monday after more press screenings, but before I do, is there a way to embed tweets?
    TCF-1138

I'm sorry but that's the most backwards thing I've ever heard of. You're scared of clicking on one measly thread in the non spoilers section, but you want others to go into a spoilers forum that may have spoiler titles plastered everywhere to find a thread with no spoilers in it? o_O

Darth Camp likes this.
  10. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
  11. Justrec

Jun 13, 2014
    Thanks for the chunk of tweets but I'd rather screen them myself and post them individually as a few of those aren't spoiler proof as with the terms that TCF has given

12. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    No. I said that it should be more incumbent on someone who is only interested in twitter responses to tread lightly in the Spoilers Allowed section of the forum in order to find them than it should be for someone who isn't interested at all in twitter responses to have to avoid any portion of the section of the forum in which it is specifically stated that no spoilers are allowed because there are twitter responses there. The assumption being that twitter responses are enough of a spoiler to warrant them not being placed in the No Spoilers Allowed section of the forum. You don't have to agree with that. But it isn't difficult to understand.

And I called upon a moderator in order to make sure that nothing beyond what is acceptable is placed here.

CosmicDust likes this.
  13. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    Of most interest is the tweet that:

That’s a damn good Star Wars movie.
    – Scott Meslow, GQ

That said, I will have to agree that some of the quotes there are not exactly spoiler-free. :(

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Unfortunately, no. Best you can do is to copy and paste the text, along with the URL to the tweet.

15. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    Patton Oswalt's tweet is the most interesting to me:

TCF Edit: Tweet below may contain information (or hints, rather) that not everyone wants to know.

16. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Raz Zaphon - You did nothing wrong, but since the tweet you quoted contains hints at what to expect in the film, I added spoiler tags and a warning to your post, just to be on the safe side.

17. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000

Thanks for your help, it's really appreciated. I thought about spoiler tags but didn't want to spook people in the thread either. So you're edit is really helpful.

This tweet is of a similar nature. You should probably edit my post again to give the go-ahead?

The ForceCast:

18. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
  19. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    Jason Ward has a pretty solid spoiler free review up on MakingStarWars should you be so inclined. So close, people!

20. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    As a point of reference, here are two benchmarks from those same sites:

Empire Strikes Back:
    Metacritic: score 81, out of 17 critics (http://www.metacritic.com/movie/star-wars-episode-v---the-empire-strikes-back)
    Rottentomatoes: 94% rating, out of 89 reviews (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/empire_strikes_back/)

The Force Awakens:
    Metacritic: score 81, out of 54 critics (http://www.metacritic.com/movie/star-wars-episode-vii---the-force-awakens)
    Rottentomatoes: 93% rating, out of 378 reviews (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_episode_vii_the_force_awakens)

And here are the current numbers for The Last Jedi:
    Metacritic: score 85, out of 49 critics (http://www.metacritic.com/movie/star-wars-episode-viii---the-last-jedi?ref=hp)
    Rottentomatoes: 93% rating, out of 167 reviews (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_last_jedi)

I definitely feel the Metacritic score for ESB suffers from a small sample size, with a few bad reviews skewing the results negatively, seeing as ESB (at least to this point) has been the consensus "best Star Wars movie". Even still, it appears that at least on first viewing audiences feel TLJ is roughly comparable to ESB and TFA.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  21. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    My spoiler free, non-Twitter reaction:

It's a good movie. You should see it.

Ricardo Funes and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  22. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

Alright fine. You've convinced me.

Also, I really hate you for seeing it already. :p

TCF-1138 likes this.
  23. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    [​IMG]

24. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Note: I already posted this in another thread. I am not spamming the same post, but I will post here because some folks have bookmarked this thread directly for non-spoiler reviews as well.

This is my non-spoiler review for you guys. I am very sensitive to spoilers, so don't worry, I will not reveal anything about the plot.
    • It is not a rehash of TESB, although my first impression was that it was going to be. But it quickly makes a statement that this film has its own personality.
    • It is an amazing Star Wars film, although I am sure the fanbase will be divided over it. This film is bold and I am sure we will see a clear separation in the fanbase regarding how they deal with this film.
    • Some fans will love it, and some fans will hate it because it does not match their headcanon or their precious childhood.
    • Do not judge this film by your headcanon. Your headcanon does not apply here, and will only harm your viewing experience.
    • It is amazing, did I say it already? Yes.
    • This film puts you on the edge of your seat all the time.
    • Nothing is sacred in this film. You will be scared and in doubt about what will happen to the main characters all the time. They are not safe at any time.
    • There are some moments where you heart will almost fall out of your mouth.
    • Luke is epic, but in a different way to what some fans expected.
    • The lore of the Force is greatly expanded in this film.
    • You will see new Force powers.
    • It is very action-packed, this is a rollercoster ride. Hold on firmly.
    • TLJ is much more adult than all other Star Wars films. This is not a story for a 12 year old, because it is so dense.
    • It is dense. You will leave the theather with you head still spinning.
    • Take your time after watching it, then make your own personal ranking/rating before coming here to be influenced by what others say.
    • You will need 2 or 3 hours to digest everything and make your own rating for this film.
    • I highly recommend a second viewing. You will absorb so much more, because as I said, this film is dense.
    • Acting was great all around.
    • My rating is that TLJ belongs to the same tier of TFA, RotJ and RotS.
    • The highs are much higher than TFA, and the lows are a bit lower than TFA.
    • It is a great addition to the Star Wars episodes and will generate heated forum discussion for years and years :)
    • I can see this film winning at least 2 Academy Awards.

CosmicDust likes this.
  25. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Non-spoiler reaction? Well, I've updated my signature.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.