main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Comics Thrawn #1-6 comic adaptation (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by iPodwithnomusic, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Do you mean in the cover? Because in the preview all I can see is phase II clone trooper helmets.

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Obviously this is a ship in the far reaches of known space, makes sense they’d be using the cast-offs while everyone in the Core gets the new ships and equipment.

Even with Matt Martin weighing in, this still can’t take place mere months after the formation of the Empire for two reasons: Eli has explicit knowledge of how the Imperial Academy system works and Palpatine is fully moved in to the Imperial Palace complete with his personally-designed throne room garden. So right now I’m gonna put it at about 17 BBY, late 18 BBY at the earliest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spicer likes this.
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, it's just the cover, and to be fair, they also have E-11s, so the cover's not exactly spot-on accurate.

4. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    It's well-known that comic book covers are not the most accurate representation of the actual story. It does look cool though.

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I still get a giggle out of that one Shattered Empire cover where it looks like the OT heroes are running away from an out-of-control rolling Death Star, Raiders-style.

MercenaryAce and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  6. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Marvel set the standard for "Star Wars covers that don't reflect what's going on in the story with pinpoint accuracy" pretty early.
    [​IMG]

7. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Wow, that's a badass Gotal.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Does the novel state how many years after RotS it starts?

9. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    No, but you can roughly count back from its end which is just before Rebels Season 3 (2 BBY). I would estimate it spans roughly 8-10 years, so that would put its start at around 7-9 after RotS.

Unless anyone else has more precise info?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

10. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    This is the assumption based on the book, but the issue is Matt Martin stating, and the comic implying, that it begins far closer to ROTS.

11. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    I wouldn't go by the graphical representation in a comic. Surely it cannot have a different timeline than the book it is based on? Looking forward to it either way.

12. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    It’s possible that the story takes place over a longer period of time than what has been assumed by the readers. Zahn specifically changed the Victory Star Destroyer and TIEs in “Mist Encounter” to a Venator and V-Wings in the book, which, even without the clone armor from the comic, would imply it is early after ROTS anyway.

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  13. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    Based on the preview pages released recently, the comic will not follow the book exactly in all aspects.

On one of the pages you can see Thrawn being apprehended on the Strikefast - while wearing trooper armor. This clearly did not happen in the book, where he had propped up the empty armor and made it explode as a distraction. He was arrested wearing his own clothing

Not much of a difference in the grander scheme of things, of course. The comic designers might, however, take some liberties with the story to help it flow better. Will be interesting to compare notes in February.

14. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Seems that in addition to recanonizing Thrawn, they're recanonizing continuity errors between mediums! :p

Ultimately, unless the novel makes an explicit reference to his clothes - I don't remember - then it can be one of those "not technically a contradiction" things.

15. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    Yeah, it does not change the story. And the armor does look neat!

BobaMatt likes this.
  16. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Another uncolored panel.
    [​IMG]

17. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    That's the stuff!

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  18. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    Ah, looks like my earlier assumption was totally wrong (or work in progress). Cool stuff, thanks for sharing. He certainly does not look like someone I would like to meet after dark...

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    haven't read the novel so this adaptation will be cheerfully continuity error free for me [face_dancing]

As for the Phase 1 armour on the clones, even in some late Clone Wars eps you see some Phase 1 armour and Vader after becoming Vader killed a whole lotta clones in Phase 1 armour. So you'd figure there's more than a few kicking around in backwater joints.

spicer likes this.
  20. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Here is the solicit for Thrawn #2
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: THRAWN #2 (OF 6)
    JODY HOUSER (W) • LUKE ROSS (A)
    Cover by Paul Renaud
    Variant Cover by Declan Shalvey
    THE RISE OF THE GRAND ADMIRAL CONTINUES!
    Mitt’hraw’nuruodo, better known as Lieutenant Thrawn of the Galactic Empire, has graduated the Imperial Academy with the highest marks possible, as well as been assigned his own personal assistant, Ensign Eli Vanto, but that doesn’t mean that everyone in the Imperial army wants him to succeed. Tensions run high in the ranks of the Empire as Thrawn continues to defeat new enemies.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2017 Lucasfilm Ltd.

21. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Hope that cover's just artistic license and they have Thrawn in a standard Navy uniform prior to being promoted to Grand Admiral.

Rennzwerg likes this.
  22. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    Army? I hope someone points out to the editors that this should be Navy.

Not a big fan of shots from below where you can see into people's nostrils. Somehow find this less imposing.

23. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: THRAWN #3 (OF 6)
    JODY HOUSER (W) • LUKE ROSS (A)
    Cover by Paul Renaud
    Variant Cover by Rahzzah
    “THE RISE OF THE GRAND ADMIRAL” CONTINUES!
    • Lieutenant Thrawn has been moving fast through the ranks of the Empire, but he isn’t the only one…
    • Meet Arihnda Pryce, as she too rises through the corrupt Coruscant political climate.
    • But paths cross in mysterious ways as the two discover a dark secret within the Empire…
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  24. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    Since when is he nearly bold? And old looking?
    At least that's what it looks like to me.

25. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Pryce’s hair looks so cool.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018