main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Does Rogue One "improve" with multiple viewings?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Unkar's Muffins, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Rogue One gets better for me each time I see it and notice more subtle details and I loved it the first time I saw it. Watched it three times in theaters, once in 3D IMAX, and bought the blu ray the day it came out.
    I've even watched it on my phone during a long road trip. I have the soundtrack too which is one of my favs. Must have seen it at least 12 times by now
    Yeah, I never get tired of R1. It's an incredible movie that rewards multiple viewings.

Grievousdude, Blue 5 and mirrorbright like this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Distracted Driving is a crime. You are fortunate that you did not commit multiple accounts of vehicular homicide or get ticketed by a police officer.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    K-2SO was driving.

EHT and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    “I’m driving while the captain watches Rogue One. The captain said I had to.”

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  5. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    R1 went from a 10/10 to a 11/11. Which of course is much better.

[​IMG]

6. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    It absolutely does for me. I was blown away when I first saw it and it holds up wonderfully to rewatches. I find more and more to like about it every time. Still can't believe it turned out as good as it did.

BadAcrobat, astinus4 and mirrorbright like this.
  7. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Watched the movie again today, and wow, it's a heavy duty Star Wars film. One of the best.

my kind of scum and mirrorbright like this.
  8. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Yes right now it's my third favorite SW film

9. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Hmm... not really? I mean I loved it so much the first viewing, I was blown away. And saw it 41 more times in theaters plus a few on home video now with my 3D Blu-ray.

10. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    For me, the first half of the film has improved with multiple viewings. I just watched it again today for my pre-TLJ marathon. When I first saw it, I thought it was a little slow. Now, since I know what’s ahead, I can become more engrossed in the character building moments that take place in the first half. I’ve grown to like Chirrut more with each viewing, though he was one of my favorites to begin with.

I’ve seen the movies so many times, I have no idea how I still find new details in them. Today I noticed that we actually get a brief peek at the city on the Ring of Kafrene before a pan down to the underworld portion. Reminded me a little of AOTC.

La Calavera and Sarge like this.
  11. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I wouldn't say so, but you always see new things. So many people felt that the film dragged for about an hour of its runtime, I think the pacing is fine. I've somehow seen the film 5 times already, and the pacing isn't bad.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

You've seen the same movie in the theaters for 42 times? Have the folks from Guiness return your phone calls yet after applying?

13. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999

Lol, that's just standard operating procedure for me :p I saw TPM 50 times in theaters first release (plus 3 on the 3D release, 1 more for the marathon), AOTC 54 times first release (+1 marathon), ROTS 24 (+1 marathon), TFA 42 times including this year's double-feature with TLJ, and Rogue One 42 times. I'm at 6 for TLJ, and since I'll see it the next four days in a row I'll hit 10 before Christmas, going into January probably around 13 or 14 times, and figuring a solid 10 per month in January - March, I don't see much reason I wouldn't sail past my Disney-era record. It'll depend, I suppose, on a few factors but I see it headed towards my now standard 40 range.

I have talked to a fan or two who beats my viewing counts each time, though I'm fairly consistent so there aren't many :p

14. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    My record is at 9 times for The Two Towers and that was with a free pass and a personal situation where I had a lot of time to kill before catching a bus at the same time each week.

Rouge One was the most I'v seen anything at the cinema since Lord of the Rings though at 4 times.

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I saw Gladiator twice in theaters. I may have seen another movie more than once in the theaters but I don't recall which one.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Your post count at the Gladiator forums has to be astronomical, then. :p

17. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    I liked it a lot the first time I saw it. I saw it again and felt the same way, so I'd say it held up for me. It didn't get better, but I it stayed good on repeat viewings.

Again, going into it, I felt that the existence of the movie was completely pointless and it was the story that never needed to be told. But if this movie is going to be made, it manages to provide me with enough entertainment to enjoy it, come back to it, and treat as a Star Wars film.

The big thing I wanted out of it was Dirty Dozen in space, which was achieved. It had a grimy, war movie style feel to it, and it was cool to see a Star Wars story told from the POV of the nameless scrubs that get axed off in the big battles. Some people made fun of the names and how hard they are to remember, but there is kind of a secret brilliance to it since these are the names that get their names put onto memorials with 1000s of others, or if they survive, they fade into the background. These aren't the types that get medals in the throne room or get remembered as legends, and basically the movie gives dignity to the grunt workers, nobodies, and expendables of the Star Wars universe.

I did have issues with the film (The Ponda Baba cameo was groan worthy, and the mind sucking squid was completely pointless) but overall, it is an enjoyable attempt at something different and making the Star Wars universe seem larger by focusing on the background players.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Hey come it was a good movie. Call me a sap, but that ending scene choked me up.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I believe it. It got you to see it twice.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  20. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    My view counter is in my sig. 4 times for TFA theatrically. Twice in IMAX 3D. Once theatrically for Rogue One. Once for Last Jedi.

21. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    This. TOTALLY This. RO quite possibly is my second favorite after TESB. Although I feel a little guilt towards ANH in saying that.

AndyLGR likes this.
  22. Jedimaster_Darklight

Jedimaster_Darklight Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 22, 2005
    I really liked Rogue One the first time I saw it, but I can honestly say it get's even better with multiple viewings. I watched it again just a few days ago (while wrapping christmas presents!) and I found that some of the things I didn't like on previous viewings didn't seem so bad anymore.

AndyLGR likes this.
  23. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015
    i already loved it the first time i saw it, yet somehow i manage to love it even more each time i watch it. it's utterly beautiful, i think it's the most gorgeous sw film yet. the world building is my favorite of the saga aside from anh. the shots of the x-wings are my favorite out of all of the films. i'm always swept up by the sense of urgency. everything is perfect. if you can't tell i'm obsessed with this movie :p

Blue 5 and mirrorbright like this.
  24. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I didn't love it initially, but it's quickly become my favorite of the Disney films. It gets better each time. I got the art book for Christmas and I've been treating it like a bible the last few days.

Ren Kylo and Jester J Binks like this.
  25. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Yeah I gotta watch this movie again it's been a while. I think once I get through the newest Rogue One novel that tells Jyn training with Saw, I'll go back and watch this with a fresh perspective.