main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Where DOES Luke go in Episode IX after we leave him (or he leaves us?) in The Last Jedi

Will Luke even be in Episode IX?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Alhazred

Alhazred Jedi Padawan star 1

May 8, 2016
    He'll be a force ghost as long as Mark Hamill is willing and able to play Luke.

3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Tbh hope it's the last movie with Luke. Even though i'm huge fan of Luke.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  4. Dominick1216

Dominick1216 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 23, 2013
    He'll have a Gandalf-like return in Episode IX lol

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That would be cool.

6. ToilesHeroiques

ToilesHeroiques Jedi Master

Apr 28, 2010
    Luke Skywalker vs. Snoke

(Like Luke Skywalker vs. Abeloth beyond shadows in FotJ: Apocalypse.)

rebelknight1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I totally hope Snoke has something up his sleeve for just this kind of problem.
    An Abeloth type creature would do it.

rebelknight1 likes this.
  8. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but I don't think Mark's coming back after this one. Just a hunch, unless JJ pulls a rabbit out of a hat, so to speak.

9. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    I don't think Luke will be in Episode 9.

If he isn't, I will be very, very mad.

10. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    I haven't seen TLJ yet, but based on the spoilers, I would be very, very surprised if he doesn't appear in 9, given how he has transcended traditional boundaries of what was thought possible. I could see a return, in a smaller, but influential role. I don't see them leaving him out entirely, considering that Leia cannot be in 9, unless they recast or CG her.

And off-topic, but they should really consider having Lando in the next one, even if for just a cameo.

11. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Stating it now while it early:

1. Luke won't be in Ep9. Disney got him out - they want only Rey and the new characters now.
    2. JJ isn't a Luke fan.
    3. Mark Hamill didn't do himself any favours by publicaly stating his disappointments about Ep7 and now Ep8. He's done. Wont even get onto the story pages. I think recently - albeit joking - on the WIRED interview he jokingly referred to JJ as Jar Jar Abrams. I applaud it myself Mark....you are still the true hero of SW. =D=

12. Sable de luz

Sable de luz Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    The problem with Luke (and leia) being gone, is that now the entire cast, even the secundary characters are in their 30s or younger. They even killed Holdo.

This never happened not only in SW but in most of this fantasy movies. Theres no room to build a new mentor or an old foe.

And if this greedy mouse wants to develop a marketing machine that can target to all audiences, this wont work.

Luke will be "forced" back to the plot, as the token adult.

rebelknight1 and SunStar like this.
  13. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Good lord no. Luke's story is done. He didn't accomplish much except help redeem Anakin and Force Project himself as a distraction to save Rey apparently. MOD EDIT: Removed spoiler Please. They have done enough harm to the character. Rey also doesn't need any further guidance. If anyone will guide her or provide any parental type advice - it will come from Leia (will be now offscreen or recasted Leia advice).

-LordSkywalker- and nightangel like this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This is not the TLJ forum anymore. Posting spoilers for that film in this forum is not allowed.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    I would almost bet money he returns. In fact, despite some spoilers, I would say TLJ sets it up quite well.

16. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Agree with all, and I'll add that IX will also be the least successful SW movie ever.

17. UberJediPaul

UberJediPaul Jedi Master star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    I doubt he would want to either after the way his character was treated in TLJ. Unless they park a lot of $$$ in his hands I think he is done due to how poorly the character has been treated by RJ, JJ & KK. Mark's body language towards those was very telling.........!!

rebelknight1, 4ce, nightangel and 2 others like this.
  18. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Yep. They had no respect for Luke as a character and it showed. Everything I predicted turned out to be correct.

rebelknight1 and nightangel like this.
  19. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If they do not resurrect him he should not come back. It's a disgrace how they handled his character.
    When I read Jason Wards comment on TLJ how super the things work out on screen and that all other that say the anything different are idiots:
    Yes, they might work out super on screen but the story crashes a lot of previous movies and characters. If Abrams is not doing something very special in IX I wonder how many people will watch it. I get more and more the opinion that Trevorrow freaked out against KK because of the trash he got delivered as a basis for IX (while trying to save the story) and that might have been the real reason they fired him

20. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I'm surprised there's no thread for this -- things being what they are due to story choices and unfortunate real life circumstances, I'm wondering if they might not be regretting having called up Billy Dee for TFA or TLJ. It would be awkward to shoehorn him into IX all of the sudden, but it would also kinda suck if they didn't.

Although they have a young Lando in SOLO, so maybe the timing could be worse.

TadoFett likes this.
  21. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016

I don't get what the hold up is. I get he's old. He's stated he would down to come back. He can just be a cameo. I mean he's on good terms with LF. He's been at Celebration this year and he's done voice work for Rebels. Idk. I get they wanted to cater to new audiences and the OT audience second. But if you have the chance to get the fan service right without overdoing it one more time? Go for it. I feel like it's been under so far.

Which is weird considering Rogue One had tons of fan service.

22. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Regarding the bolded part: Lucasfilm has made it official that Leia won't be in IX in any capacity. No recasting and no CGI-creating like R1 Tarkin.

My bet on Luke in IX: Either force-ghost or, as has already been mentioned, a Gandalf-like return.

23. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004

I do think it would be cool if they had him return in the flesh, or some equivalent, like was originally planned for Yoda and Obi-Wan in the original trilogy. That would continue with showing how powerful he has become, as suggested in TLJ. It also allows for the progression of force ghost powers from Qui-Gon being voice only, to Yoda and Obi-Wan being ghosts only with Obi-Wan being able to interact with his environment, to what Luke did in TLJ. It would make perfect sense.

I fully expect his role to be much smaller in TLJ, but I don't expect him to be absent from the movie entirely.

24. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Given what happens in TLJ, I would be very surprised in Luke isn't back in IX

25. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.