main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy The Rian Johnson Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Let us not forget that TLJ is not the last we'll see of Rian Johnson. There's a whole other trilogy for us to wonder about. We're not likely to hear anything about it for a while but that doesn't stop us from speculating. So what would you like to see with this new trilogy? Any particular era you'd like to see explored? Storyline wise what do think is likely we'll see? Any director you'd like to see follow Rian on the next two films?

Let's discuss!

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Based on the critic's reviews that TLJ expands the mythology in subtle but unexpected ways, I hope his trilogy continues that exploration. For particular era, place it in a time that allows him maximum flexibility to tell the story without being confined to the existing canon.

3. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Well said and would welcome the additions of new ways the Force is used as well as emotional confrontations and large scale battles which make theses films great. I would like to see a trilogy set around The Phantom Menace maybe before with a young Qui Von and Dooku as Jedi. I feel this would have been great to see for Episode II. A totally new era is what I believe we will see maybe In the time after Episode VI. Story wise we will have a rise of power either with a new enemy or showing the start of the First Order. Director will be Rian Johnson for at least the first one.

Darkslayer and kalzeth like this.
  4. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    I will say this right off the bat- I truly don't believe that Rian's Trilogy will be about the Canto Bight kids, an idea that's been casually thrown around here. He's said time and time again that the trilogy is about "all-new characters and all-new worlds" and the original press release specifically mentions how it will be set in a corner of the GFFA we've never been to before.

Frankly I'm excited to see what Rian does with it. While I have high hopes that I'll personally enjoy The Last Jedi, I think that he will probably fare better with a lot of the livid diehard fans with this trilogy than he has with TLJ due to the fact that we'll be starting off with an entirely blank canvas and be seeing characters that don't have the previous emotional attachments that make his decisions on how to develop them so utterly controversial.

5. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    From the sounds of it, Rian had a lot of creative freedom in this film which if I'm not mistaken some of the fanbase wanted?

6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    How is this related to Episode IX? Can this thread please be moved to the Anthology forum?
    I think if it is here it will end in a RJ bashing room soon when people start to move over to the IX forum.
    ....and honestly I (and a lot of others) need a break from seeing the name Rian Johnson.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  7. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

I mean, the section title is "Episode IX & Beyond" and these new films aren't Anthology films, but an actual bonafide trilogy that Lucasfilm seems to be planning to have be its next big ongoing series after IX wraps up so it fits with the "& Beyond" part of the title.

8. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    I missed that

9. Sable de luz

Sable de luz Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    we can still stop this if we are vocal enough.

Star wars is turning into marvel, and will be ruined for ever.

Hazevamp and Darth Lurker like this.
  10. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Please not, the last try was a desaster
    [​IMG]

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Correct, that was essentially our thinking. The new trilogy are not Anthology movies, and until we know more about them this was the most logical place to put them, under the "and Beyond" umbrella. Later, when we know more, the forums can be organized appropriately.

But on that note, there's a good point above; this thread will NOT be allowed to just become an RJ bashing thread.

Do what you want elsewhere, but nobody will be using our forums as a platform to organize anything.

12. Sable de luz

Dec 18, 2015
    That was rude and uncalled for.

13. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Excuse me? It was a clear statement on our position, before anyone gets any ideas about using these forums for anything other than their intended purpose. There is nothing rude about that. If that's not what you were getting at, fair enough, but this isn't the first time I've seen people make posts that seem to be calling for action like that. That's what called for my reply.

14. Sable de luz

Dec 18, 2015
    just said fans should do something about it if we feel the need to. Nothing about turning your forum into nothing. You took things too far man!

Keycube likes this.
  15. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Relax, as I said I was just making things clear from the get-go. If that wasn't what you specifically were trying to do, then it's fine.

16. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    I'm mildly concerned that, given the polarizing reaction TLJ has gotten in the fandom, that Lucasfilm may pull the plug on this.

17. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    It's Rian's birthday today, by the way. Which makes everything slightly awkward. [face_blush]

18. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    TLJ just made:$450,047,000 World wide in it's opening weekend, with a domestic Audience rating of "A" from cinema exit reviews. I'm pretty sure it's 'FULL SPEED AHEAD!'

19. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    Nah Rian will be fired after this.

eko32eko7, Blue 5 and rebelknight1 like this.
  20. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    After watching TLJ, I think Rian is the perfect choice for a new trilogy. Sure, I had some major qualms with the film. But that was mainly how he handled the legacy characters; something that won't be an issue in this trilogy as it will deal with all new characters. And that's what make him the perfect choice, TLJ had many fresh and unique concepts that we have never seen before. It truly was a unique SW film and I have no doubt this trilogy will live up to that promise. Beyond that, his exploration of the force was the best I've seen in the films since ESB. I really hope he ends up dealing with the ancient Jedi so we can get a perspective on the force that we have not seen before.

Regardless, I can't wait to see what Rian is cooking up. I know that TLJ has proven to be divisive amongst the hardcore fans but it would be a travesty for the trilogy to be canceled because of that.

21. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    less humor show the start of the jedi

DarthKreVass likes this.
  22. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    I like him doing the new trilogy. Let him do the three movies entirely kept away from the saga. I wonder what the income/outcome will be.
    Nevertheless you can later on try out have new directors doing bad sequels without pissing off the hard core star wars fans. Let's call it a "playground". If it turns out that a director is really doing a blockbuster over there he might be worthy to do a SW saga movie.

23. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

I'm honestly kinda confused by the whole "Too much humor in TLJ" complaint. I think it's only because we've spent two years expecting it to be a "darker" film that we've forgotten that Star Wars always has elements of comedy in it. Empire, the go-to "Dark Star Wars" film, is also by far the funniest entry in the original trilogy. I don't really think the humor here was that much of an issue as some make it out to be.

24. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    If RJ's trilogy was cancelled because fanboys can't get over the fact that he didnt make their headcanon story come true then we just dont deserve new star wars anymore...

I still have faith that this negativity around this film comes from a vocal minority. Sure the film is divisive. Every great piece of art are. it's telling that the movie got a A score from a "physical" poll at the exit of the theatres and mixed audience score on RT where people who vote made it by choice and maybe with a purpose....

Anyway i hope it's still bappening. I'd like it to take place 100, 500, 1000, 5000 years later. That would be cool IMO. Id be ok with a story set in the distant past too (although it might be difficult to get that "ancient" feeling while still looking technologically-advanced/futuristic...the video games made no sense to me)

25. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    If RJ's trilogy was cancelled because fanboys can't get over the fact that he didnt make their headcanon story come true then we just dont deserve new star wars anymore...

I still have faith that this negativity around this film comes from a vocal minority. Sure the film is divisive. Every great piece of art are. it's telling that the movie got a A score from a "physical" poll at the exit of the theatres and mixed audience score on RT where people who vote made it by choice and maybe with a purpose....

Anyway i hope it's still bappening. I'd like it to take place 100, 500, 1000, 5000 years later. That would be cool IMO. Id be ok with a story set in the distant past too (although it might be difficult to get that "ancient" feeling while still looking technologically-advanced/futuristic...the video games made no sense to me)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.