main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph New and Revised 2018 Sci Fi Movie Preview

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The genre is alive and kicking, though franchise-infected and desperate for new ideas.

January 2: 2018 Cloverfield Movie

In keeping with Abrams tradition, nothing is known about this movie. Abrams has attempted to franchise a series of unrelated movies. Why? Because franchise-branding an unfranchised movie is just smart marketing, that’s why.

February 23. Annihilation

A high end adaptation of the 2014 VanderMeer book, starring Natalie Portman and directed by Mr. Ex Machina. Hard to tell if the book will translate into something watchable, but I’m optimistic. I think it's safe to say that, no matter what else, you have not already seen this movie.

March 9. A Wrinkle In Time

A classic of 20th century children’s literature, adapted with zero grace and style from the looks of the trailers. Disney has a contender for its Tomorrowland of 2018.

March 23. Pacific Rim, Uprising

Bad news: Pacific Rim. Good news. Boyega!

March 30. Ready Player One

Looks like Spielberg’s bid to return to the box office big league. But why did it have to be Ready Player One?

May 25. Solo. A Star Wars story

Move over Rogue One. Looks like competition for worst Star Wars movie of the 21st century.

June 22. Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom.

Dinosaurs and volcanoes, oh my. I’m sorry that you are going to pay actual money to see this movie.

July 20. Alita, Battle Angel

This movie has been in development for as long as the Freemasons have been around. Unfortunately, the trailer was a bit anticlimactic, and so is most of the work of Robert Rodriguez.

August 3. The Predator

As unnecessary as it is inevitable. Have marked my calendar to just give in and go see it.

August 17. Captive State

A post alien invasion apocalypse story. this movie has been made a dozen times in as many years, but I will keep going to see it probably.

August 31. Kin

Nothing from the story synopsis indicates why this is a sci fi film. But it has James Franco in it, so we already know it’s going to bomb.

September 24. The Darkest Minds

Starring Sequel Trilogy alum Gwendoline Christie! “After a disease kills 98% of America's children, the surviving 2% develop superpowers and are placed in internment camps. A 16-year-old girl escapes her camp and joins a group of other teens on the run from the government.”

December 14. Mortal Engines

Peter Jackson As Producer Not Director triumphantly reclaims his mid-December opening weekend from the Star Wars franchise for something that is refreshingly not a franchise/sequel/reboot. I will call this the biggest and most gratifying non franchise movie of 2018, because I’d like it to be that. Unfortunately but not unexpectedly, it may be the birth of a new franchise, as there’s more than one book. The next Hunger Games!

SuperWatto likes this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    R1>AOTC and ROTS.

And I knew I should have copy written the Tomorrowland line. DAMMIT.

Lord Vivec and Rylo Ken like this.
  3. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    not theft: homage.

Diggy likes this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I liked 10 Cloverfield Lane until the ending when it suddenly turned into the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  5. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I liked Tom Cruise War of the Worlds until the middle when it turned into an hour of Tim Robbins, Master Thespian!

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Alita, Battle Angel is going to be 2018's Valerian. Calling it now. I can't wait to write my end of the year rant/review of it.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Ready Player One is the movie I'm most looking forward to seeing from the list above. The ability to get consent to use various pop culture and studio IP into one film is a feat onto itself. And it's Spielberg taking another dip into the genre.

I had no idea the next Cloverfield movie is dropping in January. I really like the last one as it had the Twilight Zone/Outer Limits flavor mixed into the story telling.

The Annihilation trailer piqued my interest and I'm leaning towards seeing it in a theater.

I'll be seeing Pacific Rim, Uprising, Solo. A Star Wars Story, Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom, Alita, Battle Angel and The Predator in theaters when they're released.

Maze Runner, Death Cure, should be on this list as well. I thought the first film was pretty good with the mystery element going for it.

8. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I forgot Maze Runner. I also forgot, probably intentionally, Bumblebee (lol)

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I was intrigued by the first trailer for Annihilation but this latest one makes it look more like some generic sci-fi horror flick. Hopefully it was just another misleading trailer.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The last Transformers flick made everyone want to forget about the franchise.

I know Netflix's Bright is going to be released next week, but since it's at the end of the year, it might some thing to be considered.

I was going to add Netflix's Altered Carbon, but realized it's new series and not a movie.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'll believe Solo actually comes out in May when it's been out for a week and not a second sooner.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    You can use that week to read The Winds of Winter!

Ramza likes this.
  13. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The kind of movie that needs to be saved by Ron Howard is not the kind of movie that needs to be seen by anyone, ever.

SuperWatto likes this.
  14. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I liked the OP not for the movies, just for the descriptions.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  15. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    By the way, supposedly a Mortal Engines teaser in front of The Last Jedi. Hope that's not a spoiler.

16. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I'm surprised they don't have a teaser for Solo to go with it. I guess that would make too much sense?

17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    see Ramza's post

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    They can still make a trailer for a nonexistent movie!

19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I was really startled to find out Alita Battle Angel has actually been made. It's been literally something like 18 years.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Alita: Battle Angel is shaping up to be 2018's version of Ghost In the Shell with the initial reactions.

21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    the production design made me lol though. American Girl: Battle Angel

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  22. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Great job on the descriptions. I only knew about two or three of those, but after reading this I am certain that I will watch exactly none of them.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  23. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The only thing worse than being a Star Wars fan is being a science fiction fan. It's like being a fan of hookworms and dysentery.

24. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Nope. That's exactly what it is.

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It will be astonishingly vacuous, like the novel; and I think we should use the title that it deserves: A Poor Man's Snow Crash.

Rylo Ken likes this.