main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Did The Last Jedi change your view of the new SW canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Did The Last Jedi change your view of the new SW canon?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2018.
  1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. No

52 vote(s)
    46.8%
  3. I don't have a answer now.

10 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    For everything that was release in books, comics and Rebels TV show, do you think that TLJ was a welcome for the new canon, or a bad one? Of course it depends if you like the movie.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    For me, I felt it didn't.

I don't think it added that much to the universe as a whole but just continued what it was doing before.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, a picture says a thousands words and all:

[​IMG]

4. What Are The Odds

What Are The Odds Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2016
    Changed how? From bad to better? No. Still the same. It's like Mao's cultural revolution.

Jarren_Lee-Saber, AusStig and fett 4 like this.
  5. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    So much salt. Especially interesting considering how the public, and other SW forums are receiving the film so far.

6. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    The Transformers films made a lot of money. But many do not consider them to be good. Who is the "public"? Remember, in China TFA did not do as well, and their public is multiple times the size of USA.

The critics? Judith Martin gave ESB a terrible review when it came out, and it is now widely considered the best SW film.

Avengers Age of Ultron got good money and good critic reviews, yet many people including myself have many problems with it.

Right now the "most helpful" (124 out of 170 people found it helpful) review of TLJ on IMDB isn't that kind to the film.

7. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    This isn't the only SW board I browse, and the reaction overall is pretty different. Granted, I know which way this board tends to lean. It's mostly just teasing. ;)

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I didn't enjoy it as much as I did TFA, but still - 100% better than NJO, LOTF, Dark Nest etc.

As for the nu-canon - it felt tonally not that far off some of the more ponderous stuff Rebels covers.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I was disappointed about not having certain mysteries resolved but see no reason why the EU can't pick up the slack.

Shadowrain10 likes this.
  10. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    One might expect the Lit board to be slanted toward the negative spectrum toward the new films compared to other SW fan boards.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I admit to a certain joy the last vestiges of the Legends universe have been swept away. CANON will keep the local Lits in line, CANON OF THE FILMS.

12. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    The poll question and your question here are very different - which one are you asking?

It's a worthy addition to the canon pantheon. Still better than the Legends mess.

13. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    One thing about the reception around the board I dislike is the notion you can only like Last Jedi if you're a casual viewer who doesn't know or experience much Star Wars which, speaking for myself and plenty of other people here, is a load of bull****. Speaking now only for myself, the controversial decisions don't bother me mostly because Star Wars isn't some holy cow you can't tamper with in my eyes.

14. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    I am looking forward to digging nitty gritty into the new movie, both with a fresh slate and the ideas of some older EU stories as contrast.

15. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    FIFY

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

No, NJO introduced the Potentium Stupidity with some semblance of legitimacy and had OT characters being made more superficial or, if you prefer, more prequelly. It was awful.

TLJ at least kicks the Grey Jedi concept to death like Disney did to the EU.

masterskywalker likes this.
  17. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Are people allowed to talk about spoilers in here outside the 8 thread? I don't think so. The post above me seems like a major spoiler for TLJ, and not even tagged.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

You're right, but I guess rather than asking someone to please think about the children I just hit the report function to have it edited. :p

19. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I’m now on the Zeta train and officially say I miss the old EU. I also miss George Lucas as well

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Oh christ no, for me this was expontentially better than the prequels and post 1999 EU that was prequelised. If TFA made me feel like HTTH did when I first read it in 1992 or so, this made me feel like Truce at Bakura.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m not voting until I actually see the movie, but as of right now I am wondering if the Disney/LFL films will have the same issue as some of the Legends EU books, with directors, like some authors, having pet characters and favoring those characters in stories at the expense of the overall plot.

Rian Johnson has flat-out said how much he likes Kylo Ren, and there is definitely one plot point that throws Luke under the bus in favor of Kylo.

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm actually excited about The Last of the Jedi because a lot of the revelations mean EU authors have a huge amount of freedom now.

Captain RX and Endor_boy like this.
  23. The Corellian President

The Corellian President Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2015
    It changes EVERYTHING. I will need to see it at least two more times to settle in.

24. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The Potentium is mentioned once in the NJO and in that mention it is ridiculed.

The book that introduced the Potentium was Rogue Planet, which was not part of the NJO, given that it takes place roughly fifty years before it. Incidentally, it was ridiculed in that too.

Not sure what you're referring to otherwise.

25. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    In general, I like this new direction the series is going. Mega spoilers.

I was really happy Luke was down on the whole "Skywalker bloodline" thing. The force is in everyone.

If it wasn't clear at first in TFA, this is not your father's Star Wars. Things aren't what they seem. The OT is Knights of the Old Republic, the ST is KOTOR 2: The Sith Lords. There's a ton of chewy layers to get into here.

Ghost likes this.
  26. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    No, it didn’t change my mind. I’m still interested.