main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph New and Revised 2018 Sci Fi Movie Preview

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    [​IMG]

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    So, you're saying it going to make tons of money at the box office. I agree with that.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ... are we just sort of ignoring the Marvel films, or are we not considering superhero movies in the "sci-fi" genre?

Similarly, wasn't A Wrinkle in Time more fantasy then?

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    When is Honey, I Shrunk Matt Damon coming out?

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

This year, 22-Dec.

7. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Reviews are mixed too. Disappointing.

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Man remember when Twilight came out and the argument that box office performance was indicative of quality died off for a few years? Good times. Goooooooood tiiiiiiiiiimes.

9. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Unless you're being sarcastic or attempting humour, Rogue One is anything but the worst of post-1999 Star Wars films.

But I do agree that Solo has the potential to dethrone possibly Attack Of The Clones as the worst Star Wars film of the 21st Century.

Yeah....skip this.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The only one of these I would give serious consideration to is A Wrinkle in Time, and largely then because I got confused and thought it was Bridge to Terbithia.

12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The Mortal Engines teaser is out. Perhaps it's a return to form for Peter Jackson though directed by his Hobbit second unit director.

This is the 2018 movie I most want to see. A first time literary adaptation by a moviemaker who once did fantasy better than it had ever been done on film.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I like your enthusiasm for Mortal Engines. I'm not familiar with the source material, so the teaser is all I have to go on. I read somewhere that this is a steampunk flick. I hope so as I really like that genre. Is steampunk a genre? The last film that I recall watching that was steampunk related was Will Smith's Wild Wild West.

[​IMG]

14. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Wild Wild West should count as both the first and the worst feature length live action steam punk movie.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I know nothing about Mortal Engines. Judging by the trailer, it's Mad Max in slow motion. Did they hire OJ Simpson to do the stunt driving? I hope there's more substance to it than the trailer shows.

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Here's a video that features the "10 Best Steampunk films," some of them predates Wild Wild West.

soitscometothis likes this.
  17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Beh. All I'm thinking is "well there goes my Cities In Flight movie".

18. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Mortal Engines looks good. I loved the books when I read them last year so I'm hoping this will do them justice. It'll feel weird not having a Star Wars movie to look forward to at Christmas next year though.

19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

The trailer is lovely in that it's taken entirely from the first scene of the book, doing something the first book doesn't do - show the mining town being eaten by London from the mining town's and the main character's (Hester Shaw's) point of view. The book is extremely cinematic (read very simple, straightforward action-oriented plot). It also has more than a few moments that seem derivative of Star Wars itself. CGI is probably just about where it needs to be to make this movie look convincing. I'm glad it didn't happen as soon as the books came out.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Wild Wild West starred Will Smith and is therefore far, far too diverse to count as steampunk.

Darth Guy likes this.
  21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I don't know enough about it. You mean the literature or the fandom or both? I don't even know what the formal definition is. Science Fiction permanently rooted in an imagined reconstructed H.G. Wellsian frame of reference? Does that tend to idolize the casually accepted racism of British imperialism?

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's primarily (but not exclusively) a lot of uncritical reverence for upper class Victorian English aesthetics BUT WITH GEARS and consequently it undergoes about as much whitewashing (in both the usual and weirdly more literal sense) as you'd expect.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  23. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    That makes sense. I don’t think Mortal Engines suffers from that. Maybe it’s not really steampunk. It sets up a somewhat ethnic/geographical divide between the mobile cities of what was formerly Western Europe and the “static” city states of Asia.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Keanu Reeves' "Replicas" is scheduled to be released in June. The trailer makes the film looks like a scifi thriller, but also a direct to streaming release rather than a theatrical release, which would be fine be me.

On another note, the "God Particle"/"Cloverfield" flick was been pushed back from February to April.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Following up the "God Particle/Cloverfield" film, there's a new report:

Netflix in Talks to Grab Cloverfield Movie ‘God Particle’ From Paramount

Rylo Ken likes this.