main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn & Rey in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ren Kylo, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015
    here's to seeing these two on another journey together!!

whostheBossk and Balmorra like this.
  2. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    Perhaps Finn and Rey could make a real connection by meeting up with broom boy. Rey could teach him about the force and Finn could help him with his broom technique. Finn's janitorial skills helped him go toe to toe with Kylo Ren for a few seconds after all.

Lordban, 11-4D, afrojedi and 6 others like this.
  3. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    We'll likely see them interacting more than we did in TLJ, JJ is the one that put them together in the fist place. How much, though, I can't say.

He also knocked Phasma on her rear and she's apparently the poster child for the First Order so...yeah Finn's got some talent

4. filmgeek32

filmgeek32 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 18, 2016
    you could see their deep connection they have when the hugged i just wonder what rey wanted chewy to tell finn

5. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    "If you even look at another woman..."

In all seriousness that's something we really should ask Rian Johnson.

6. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I think Rey will experiment with both sides of the force feeling out the dark and will become moody and unstable not like Kylo though good god, and everyone will be scared of her but not Finn.

7. Ren Kylo

Dec 23, 2015
    did finn and rey ever bond over their lost families or was that just an implied part of their connection in tfa? i need to watch it again to see, but if not i would love to see it explored in 9.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  8. StormScavenger

StormScavenger Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2015
    I loved that embrace so much. LOVED it.

If Finn and Rey end up together in IX, we need to give props to Chewie for being the best wing-man in the galaxy. And that's twice that Finn would owe Chewie for having his back.

9. Ren Kylo

Dec 23, 2015
    yea their reunion hug was one of my most favorite parts. i could just watch it over and over again haha

10. StormScavenger

StormScavenger Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2015

That hug had more emotional power and significance than most other scenes from TLJ, IMO. Others may disagree, but, of course, YMMV.

11. Ren Kylo

Dec 23, 2015

yep. a testament to their bond. i need more of that in 9, it's one of the few things i'm letting myself hope for.

12. Shakez

Shakez Jedi Master star 3

Aug 22, 2014
    Balmorra likes this.
  13. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    eh, I wouldn't read into it. Remember when boyega, in talking about finn moving forward, said "trust me, finn ain't playin no more."?

14. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    Wow i had to dig 4 pages to find this thread! I am no shipper but if (and its a big IF) Rey is to have a "love" interest it will be finn at the end of ep 9 or possibly late 2nd act.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Rhyoth likes this.
  15. modaubr

modaubr Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    Something I'm really curious about, is what is Rian Johnson's view on Finn & Rey and their future trajectory? Because as invested was the movie to separate them, Finn with Rose and Rey with Kylo Ren, it still made a lot to underline their bond with a minimal amount of screen time. It's lingering on the air, and somehow, almost paradoxically, it made their bond stronger to me.

rorow1 likes this.
  16. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I'm not.

I think Rian's PoV was adamantly clear : given how he treated Finn, Rose's introduction, and how he made sure Finn & Rey never shared just a single line of dialog.
    He even spent more efforts trying to set Rey up with Poe "i-just-caused-the death-of-nearly-all-the-Resistance-and-i-am-not-feeling-a-single-ounce-of-regrets-So-you-want-to-make-out ?" Dameron.

Thankfully, he's not in charge anymore. So let's see what JJ has in mind instead.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I really wish they could have been together. But Rose has to be in the way. Perhaps they still could if there is time between 8 and 9

18. modaubr

modaubr Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    But precisely, that's why it's interesting : why did he feel the need to drop these crumbles in a story that has no indulgence for them ?

19. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    What was that exchange again? I forget.

20. edustarling

edustarling Jedi Padawan

Dec 28, 2017
    The thing I'm most curious about: if there's a major storyline for the 3 films, which part is the core of the story and what is open for each director / screenwriter to create freely.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I hope there is no awkwardness between Finn and Rey

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  22. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I doubt there would be. There wasn't any awkwardness between Luke/Leia/Han over what'd happened in ESB. It's actually much better for Finn and Rey's case considering they had a very meaningful reunion and it's not like Rey had to witness Rose give Finn the peck on the lips. Or Finn witness Rey fighting with Kylo.

I do want them to talk about it though. Someone stated that there should be a scene like Finn's Confession except it's Rey confessing that she trusted Kylo (out of desperation and maybe confusion?) despite everything he put them, and Finn specifically through. She would absolutely frame it as a terrible decision she made though, and that it was a horrible thing for her to do. And then she could say that she still thought about him though with the scene of her telling Chewie to tell Finn something. Like how Finn says, "I ran right into you. And you looked at me like no one ever had."

And then Finn ends up forgiving her, despite feeling a bit betrayed and perhaps angry and perplexed (not to let Rey off the hook too easily). But that would be an excellent way to illustrate just how much they mean to each other. Like how Rey was at first angry and confused when Finn wanted to leave for the outer rim. I believe one of the novelizations has Rey almost view him as a coward for his decision. That is of course after he explains himself and then she switches over to understanding and desperation for him to stay.

Stuff like that would be nice. Even if it's not in IX it would be cool if they put it in a novel or comic. A nice moment between them.

23. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    In regard to Poe, again, he's not hitting on her.

I think that Rey is going to try to help Finn. I get the feeling that he's going to be looking at those books and maybe discovering that, yeah he is force sensitive and he and Rey work as a team again. Now it's up in the air if he'll return Rose's feelings. She clearly put them out there, but, he certainly has a closeness to Rey, and I want that explored some what. I admit I like Rey with Poe, but Finn is awesome too and I'd be glad to see them together.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nothing for Finn and Rey to be awkward about. They were comfortable with each other almost immediately in TFA.

I didn’t see Rose as an obstacle to Finn/Rey, despite her crush on Finn. She just had a different role to play in Finn’s story, and I like her as a character.

I agree with @Rhyloth overall with how Johnson saw Finn; he was pretty much apathetic towards him as a character and wanted to get him out of the way to showcase Kylo Ren.

As far as Poe—I like him, but the “older hotshot flyboy and the younger girl” is a little too traditionalist for my taste.

25. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Y'know, people always say that Finn and Rose HAVE to get together otherwise it hurts Rose's character. That's possible unfortunately given how Rian chose to portray her crush (which she didn't HAVE to have a crush on him but whatever). But has anyone considered Rose recovering and meeting someone else? Hell, what I would actually love? How about her and Connix forming an unexpected bond (seriously TLJ made me like Connix a lot more).
    Or even Jessika Pava if they bring her back since the TLJ visual guide says the rest of Poe's squadron is alive (presumably in the outer rim getting allies).

But enough on that. Finn and Rey are still the least convoluted romance to go with at this point. Rey has confirmed feelings for Finn, Finn has confirmed feelings for Rey. John and Daisy are both fans of them, and I think JJ is too. You never know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.