main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    or a Croke!

2. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The Jedi are absolutely coming back. There seem to be weird takes like as if Luke was correctly thinking it's time for the Jedi to end when Yoda destroys the tree and Luke thinks that's what he means and Yoda nods his head and says "time for you to move beyond dusty old books."

Rey, and hopefully Leia offscreen, will bring back the Jedi perhaps with the refocused teaching we all expected of Luke. But the Jedi arent gone. Heck, the sacred texts arent gone.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JediKnight75 and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    It's weird because they literally make a huge point of having Luke explicitly say that he will not be the last Jedi after all! It's one of the climatic lines of the film!

4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    A role for Lando in IX!

Edit: Quick aside, I've noticed people think that Lando should be the Master Codebreaker. I wonder if they didn't do that because they wanted to portray everyone on Canto Bight as being crappy people.

Still, Maz evidently associates with the dude. I think Maz's whole cameo was bad. Her union dispute was more important than "the only fight," I guess?

ImpKnight and V-2 like this.
  5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Every single take online makes a big deal about Yoda blowing up the tree and just forgets that Rey took the books.

6. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I don’t know if this was discussed already but.

What was the point of Bloodline?

I know that Rian Johnson had some input in the novel and I thought we would see that connective tissue to the story in TLJ, but… I didn’t see any. Not just that there were no mention of Centrists or Populists (that I remember), but also Vader’s revelation didn’t seem to factor in Ben Solo’s turn to the darkside. Well, at least that wasn’t mention at all.

What’s even weirder is that Rey seemed to be well informed of the legend of Luke Skywalker who saved Vader. Uh, I thought nobody knew that? Even upon the parentage revelation I don’t remember Leia informing the galaxy of what happened in the Death Star II.

Anyway, that was weird.

Gamiel, V-2, Jester J Binks and 2 others like this.
  7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Those people probably didn't notice the books.

But I guess they're probably being silly for not paying attention to what Yoda is saying either.

JediKnight75 and Dawud786 like this.
  8. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    It's clear most people havent paid attention to the Jedi narrative of 1-6, let alone what this move was actually saying.

Luke was already being trained to be a different sort of Jedi than what we saw in the PT. I feel like this movie is saying that Luke missed that, got hung up on finding and hoarding old Jedi stuff, and thus didnt fully complete the work that was handed to him i.e. do things differently than your predecessors.

Now they are trying to make that abundantly clear. The basic tenet of TLJ is that old institutions need to be questioned from time to time, re-evaluated and altered or reformed at times.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, there's quite a few things been done over by TLJ, but in book terms Bloodline looks to be one of the bigger hits.

The problem is this was one of the big claims Disney made about their acquisition of SW. That they were going to coordinate it all and until now, they had mostly succeeded in this. Rogue One was a particularly good example of them doing so. And then, in just over a year, they go from that to this:

Someone reads Gray's Leia book, likes the Holdo character, goes to see TLJ, Holdo gets offed.

Bloodline has been covered - but there's no New Republic, it's all gone.

[​IMG]

And Luke learns about the value of sacrifice, can you guess what happens next?

Short of assuming a level of Snoke-level arrogance, it's hard to make sense of.

10. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Bloodline was a good book. I don't understand the question.

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I was referring to the books on the Millennium Falcon.

I guess I can understand why people would be afraid that nucanon movies would ignore the books. Because that's what's happened in the old canon too. But I haven't read Bloodline so I can't comment.

12. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Was anyone else also reminded on Ulic Quel Droma by watching Luke's arc in TLJ?

Ghost, Revanfan1 and masterskywalker like this.
  13. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I did have the fleeting hope that when DJ was searching the holoprojector for the ship's last owner, a holo of Lando would have popped up. Wouldn't have then squared with DJ's subsequent point about the owner selling to both the Resistance and the First Order, but for a moment it seemed like the best place for a Lando cameo (Landoeo), especially as the ship had a couple of similarities with the Lady Luck.

Ulicus likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Heh, but you still weren't wrong! [face_laugh] Think you'd probably enjoy Bloodline.

EDIT: I have to share this:

[​IMG]

Darth_SHOT and Gamiel like this.
  15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yes, to the point that for a brief moment I thought we were going to find out that he'd actually been cut off from the Force when Rey was like "omg I couldn't feel you".

Is anyone else surprised that Rey didn't lose an arm or hand?

I said earlier she had every Skywalker trait but I'll concede she's missing one of the most important ones.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I want one.

[​IMG]

Gamiel, WMIRTUTSF, Riv_Shiel and 17 others like this.
  18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Broomboi is going to be the true hero of the franchise

Ulicus likes this.
  19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
  20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    The Force is unusually strong with him, that much is clear.

. . .

Who was his father?

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004

I think the movie subverted a lot of tropes to the franchise, and article's premise is phrasing that brusquely and in a non-sentimental way.

DelRiego likes this.
  23. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    The best way I can describe the film is well directed, but horrifically written. Obviously someone is liking it, but I'm not sure who. My wife who isn't into Star Wars didn't understand it, and I'm the Star Wars expert and I didn't like it although I appreciate the special effects and the direction.
    Poe, one of the most likable characters in TFA, has been changed to maverick hothead who makes a plan that makes things worse. He's not entirely to blame though--as many pointed out, Holdo explaining her plan to him would have solved a lot.

Luke should have won that little staff fight with Rey. He is a Jedi Master, even if she pulled a lightsaber on him and he didn't have one, he would have found a way to win.

Did I miss something, or it wasn't clear how Rey escaped the Supremacy?

I've been holding out hope a long time that there was some explanation of what Luke has done for 30 years. But nothing. We now have 2 "new Jedi Order" members, Luke and Rey, who are shown onscreen to get some decent level of fighting proficiency in a matter of weeks. It's completely implausible that there aren't some half-decently trained students by Luke out there running around. I thought after TFA we would get a "gotcha" moment where Luke reveals that the Jedi aren't all destroyed, but have been in hiding for 30 years after he took a page from the Sith way of hiding under civilian life for 1,000 years (Palpatine is really a Sith Lord but also a Senator, but say Statura is an Admiral who is secretly a Jedi trained by Luke shortly after ROTJ) . But it appears this wasn't the case.

Actually if Luke has done nothing for 30 years of note, how did this guy even claim the rank of Jedi Master? Unlike Kenobi and Yoda, he has no excuse--they were wanted criminals by the galactic government. Luke had 30 years where he was in good standing with the New Republic and had legal ability to train who he wanted.

24. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    sorry double post

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The author had an interesting thing to say in the comments:

I don’t really buy this. The Empire Strikes Back is in many ways a near opposite of the original Star Wars—but, since it was only a sequel to a single popular movie and not the eighth iteration of a decades-old franchise, nobody thought to say “This movie is the most un-Star Wars movie!” There was no particular definition of what a Star Wars movie had to be; it didn’t have to be anything other than set in the Star Wars universe and connected to the story of Star Wars. It didn’t have to deal with all the ridiculous amount of baggage that comes with following on seven of the most widely discussed and obsessed-over movies ever made. It, like the original, had the freedom to just be the coolest and most surprising Star Wars movie it could be... and, not coincidentally, those are the two loosest and best Star Wars movies, by light years.
    But that’s just the thing: The only way to try to get back to that freedom is to make a movie that refuses to wear all the previous movies around its neck like seven giant millstones, that claims for itself the discretion to define and uphold the essential Star Wars stuff and gleefully discard all the rest. And an inevitable consequence of making that movie is, a certain cross-section of fans, who feel they know what a Star Wars movie should be and feel entitled to demand that from the creators of each next one—who want each new Star Wars movie to return to everything they liked about each previous one—will recoil from it. As much as anything else, that’s what I think The Last Jedi is about: Both the movie itself and pretty much all its characters are openly wrestling with the baggage of what came before them, trying to sort out what’s worth upholding and what ought to be sloughed off.
    But The Last Jedi, in my opinion, doesn’t quite side with Kylo Ren’s take, that the past is all garbage and must be completely shat on and killed. It works its way to the incredibly awesome Ghost Yoda’s mischievous equanimity, in the end: All of this solemn **** is only as cool and good as the freedom the youths have to play with it and use their own imaginations to bring it to life.
    It rules! It really rules. I hope you will like it as much as I did on your second viewing.