main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Influence of French Comics on Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Leo Perutz, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Here we go:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Jam:_Valerian_&_Laureline

Hmmm ... "Although its tone and storyline are different from the original work, this adaptation borrows many characters, settings and plot elements from the comic books." Generally sounds closer than the film does though. The idea of earth being erased from history is a major arc in the comics, though not directly related to Val taking Laur from the medieval era.

2. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    I just looked at the teaser trailer for the TV show. It seems half way between the comic books and the film in tone actually:

3. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Interesting. Thorgal isn't your standard barbarian tale at all, so wonder how it'll turn out?

Echo Base likes this.
  6. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Hopefully with a lot more fidelity to the source material than the Valerian film! :( Let's hope they have more emphasis on thoughtfulness than on violence and action. As discussed above, perhaps utilising the medium of a television series rather than film will help.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Just putting this here for posterity... :p

[​IMG]

8. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Only joking, ladies and gents... :D

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For anyone interested, Cinebooks have now released Vols 20 and 21.

The concluding volume 22 is due Feb 2018.

Echo Base likes this.
  10. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Cheers. Will buy soon as a Christmas present to myself. :p I have heard what happens in the end but I am interested to see how it unfolds in the telling.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Go to Books Etc if you're UK-based, they had the best prices I could find.

12. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    I'm an Aussie. I'll probably just grab them from Cinebooks directly or Amazon. Depends on the shipping fees.

That raises an interesting point though: besides the fact that the film was a terrible, terrible adaptation of the story, it really wasn't marketed well. Besides the trailers not really introducing the characters well or giving audiences any reason to care about them, no bookstore here stocked any of the comics in the lead up to the release. (Major book chains here in Australia readily stock Asterix and Tintin.) With a high profile film version of V&L debuting, you'd think there'd be co-ordination to make some of the comics available in stores. If Besson and his colleagues really had delusions of competing head on against Star Wars, they would have needed to have had the marketingside perfected and that was an aspect of the promotional strategy for the film that just didn't happen.

The only merchandising I've seen in stores is a few "Pop" Vinyl figurines. Apparently there is also a board game that was only just released in the last month or so, long after the film had disappeared from cinemas. It seems to me like it was a real fiasco. They needed products in stores in the lead up to the release, especially the comic books, as a way of introducing potential film-viewers to the characters. Sigh.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, bugger, had forgotten that - knew you'd told me a while back.

Echo Base likes this.
  14. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    The Last Jedi's rating free-fall continues overnight. The public have spoken - they now officially consider Valerian to be the better film of the two! :eek::confused:

[​IMG]

Maybe Kath Kennedy needs to give Monsieur Besson a phone call about directing Episode IX...

15. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Here is a French view of l'affaire du Star Wars:

[​IMG]

16. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    There's a moment in TLJ that is straight of Moebius. Thought of it the minute I saw it. Can't post spoilers thooooo

Echo Base likes this.