main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Star Wars Adventures & SWA: Forces of Destiny comics (IDW)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    Haha I do intend to give them a try and read at least one. Just wanted to get some opinions. Nothing wrong with researching a product before putting money into it. My first post was a little long winded though. I guess I️ wanted to know why they’re not using marvel. I️ appreciate an organized story line that’s all haha, just personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarthJaceus likes this.
  2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017

Well, IDW is pretty well known for its adaptations of older properties like GI Joe and Transformers. Considering their existing deals with Disney for their own properties (I.E. Ducktales), and Disney's desire to broaden their base to younger demographics that someone like Marvel wouldn't be suited for, it makes sense for them to make their own line of comics.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This issue had some decent stuff in it, Luke ogling Leia is actually a thing (just watched ANH yesterday and he's clearly smitten with her) so it gets a pass. Decent action in this issue anyway. But I was actually really surprised by the Tales from Wild Space back up which was my favourite so far even though it didn't focus on any known characters but it was just put together really well with some surprises. "Did he just run away? He just ran away!"

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  4. germanjedi

germanjedi Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2017
    Here's a "well, actually" - that character (Mattis Banz) is a known quantity from the Join the Resistance middle-grade novels. If you are unfamiliar with them, search for "Fart Wedding" on Twitter. :) The books are by Acker/Blacker, just like this Tale from Wild Space, and also feature art by Annie Wu. That's a nice bit of creative team consistency, at least.

BigAl6ft6 and revan772 like this.
  5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Derek Charm‏ @derek_charm
    If you wanted to know what I'm drawing RIGHT NOW; Reuniting w @cavanscott to tell you all about Zuckuss and 4-LOM for @Freecomicbook Day 2018 :)) #StarWars @IDWPublishing #StarWarsAdventures
    [​IMG]

https://www.cbr.com/idw-publishing-solicitations-march-2018/
    [​IMG]

Star Wars Adventures #8—Cover B: Jon Sommariva

• Sholly Fisch (w) • Sean Galloway (a) • Jon Sommariva (c)
    • FC • 32 pages • $3.99
    • The exciting finale of a two-part Star Wars: Rebels storyline!
    • Plus an exciting new Tales from Wild Space!
    • Variant cover by Otis Frampton!

bsmith7174, spicer and AV-6R7 like this.
  6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I am very pleased with Otis Frampton getting his wish granted by LFL and IDW! According to Jedi-Bibliothek (link below), Frampton will have his own Jawa story in Adventures issue #8. And for those that don't know, Frampton pitched his idea for a Jawa comic via Twitter (not too dissimilar to the team behind the fantastic A Star Wars Comic fan comics). This is really good news, and it gives me hope that other artists, and old fan favourites will come back to SW comics again!

https://jedi-bibliothek.de/2017/12/idw-details-star-wars-adventures-8/

https://twitter.com/otisframpton/status/943581996709801985

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  7. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Second cover for Rose & Paige
    [​IMG]

8. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
  9. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    That kind of **** is so stupid. Are they going to start including unannounced issues in men’s boxer packages now? Can I get an exclusive copy at my local pet store when I adopt a new bird?

Mystery box subscriptions are a scam and now we have to jump through hoops to read a part of the canon.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

10. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    While I disagree with the concept of lootcrates ccontaining exclusive star wars literature...it's not as if this Rey story is going to be fundamentally important to the canon.

Having said that the synopsis for the story did sound interesting...

11. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Leia variant cover.
    [​IMG]

Second cover and synopsis for Star Wars Adventures #6.
    [​IMG]
    (W) Delilah Dawson (A) Derek Charm (CA) Tim Levins
    The biggest new character from The Last Jedi, Rose Tico, makes her Star Wars Adventures debut in this special one-shot story! Rose prefers to solve problems from behind the scenes, but the threat of the First Order has put her front and center...
    • Featuring the big new character from The Last Jedi, Rose Tico!
    • Plus an exciting new Tales from Wild Space!
    In Shops: Jan 17, 2018

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  12. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    This is essentially like the Star Wars Insider stories, but in comic form. I'll just wait for a digital version to appear.

However long that may be.

13. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    It’s not so much that I am irritated that THIS story is behind a stupid mystery box wall, but it’s the precedent that this sets that I am upset about.

14. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
  15. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I really like the art on display. I've really liked the art for all the IDW comics, actually. They're all very stylistically pleasant, with good use of colors.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  16. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Hera on Hoth is really interesting.
    Star Wars Adventures #5 preview.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  17. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    That’s some HEAVY Darwyn Cooke inspired art there...and I LOVE IT.

18. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    I wonder what the chances of this issue being included in the TPB of the series are.

19. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Probably very low considering it’s page count. I bet it stays as a stand-alone.

20. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Can someone explain to a comic noob what the term loot crate means in the comic book universe?

Is it effectively a limited edition comic? As a canon completionist it sounds concerning and expensive

21. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    It isn't really a comic book term. Loot Crate is a service where boxes containing curated, often exclusive, items and content arrive monthly based on a subscription model. The issue being discussed here is having a piece of canon media being exclusive to these boxes, which are only distributed once.

Endol likes this.
  22. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    I see, a sort of thank you present for subscribing and ongoing payments reward - here is an exclusive comic.

Yes, that will be pricey on eBay and reminds me of SDCC exclusive LEGO that never fails to p*** off fans

23. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    It actually won’t be that pricey. Due to Loot Crate’s nature they need to include the same items in every box. When Marvel Star Wars number #1 came out, Loot Crate commissioned an exclusive cover. It was the second highest variant I believe outside of the main cover.

With the readership for Star Wars Adventures, I don’t see a lot of Loot Crate subscribers holding on to the issue. There are a lot of people that sell off items in the Crate to offset the box cost.

Also, Loot Crate sells “back catalog” boxes when they are unable to ship all crates within a certain time frame.

So there will be a couple avenues to get this story. It is just irritating that people who ARE supporting the title at the LCBS aren’t given a heads up that we should be looking in a stupidly ridiculous place to get a part of the story we are supporting.

I know my examples seemed ridiculous previously, but now that IDW has sold a 60 page issue to Loot Crate where else are they going to look to sell another issue? Should we all go out and subscribe to every Subscription service available now? Should we be getting ready to raid Captain Crunch boxes for a random 1 of 4 part story and have to suffer through multiple sugar infused cancer balls to be able to read how Rey and Finn rescued a Vulptix form the jaws of a Crait monster?

It’s irritating and it makes me not want to support a line when they do crap like that.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Those that like porgs will love the porg story in this issue. I thought it was good, and if I was 7 years old or younger, I'd probably love it :p. The art was good overall.
    So does the porg story take place after TLJ?

25. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Was that out today? Hmm. Wasn't in my pull box. Might have to check on that.