main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Server Move and Forum Outage

Discussion in 'Communications' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Jun 5, 2017.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Ah, right.

Thank you for making that clearer.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    We'd lose all the young people whose parents' wouldn't pay up, and frankly I like the diversity. If this were a pay site I would never have come here; I don't trust them. We'd be stuck with the die-hards who are willing to pay up, and I can guarantee you that would seriously suck.

jcgoble3 and Master_Rebado like this.
  3. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I wish people wouldn't speculate on **** that wasn't even seriously discussed back during the IGN days, and certainly isn't on the table right now. The only place we have even discussed potentially monetizing the Forums was in the RS collecting forums and it was going to be a value-add where people could pay for extra functionality like listing their items from eBay, that kind of thing. Even that went nowhere because it wasn't going to happen until we moved to Xenforo over there and we haven't done that yet.

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    And gee, who am I paying member fees to? Trust this place with my account information?

5. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    See Bravo? See what you've done?

6. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Its shocking that you guys just decided to pull this. I mean, this place won't be the same with membership fees. I'm a college student, and I just can't justify paying for a Star Wars board.

heels1785 and Grahame like this.
  7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This is the first day that everything is going perfect.

8. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    It's kind of freaking me out.

9. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    Try being in my ****ing shoes, where this place has haunted my dreams for the last 6 months never knowing if it would be up or down when I wake up.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  11. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Try being in my shoes as a dude who wants to talk about Star Wars.

12. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    Fair

Master_Rebado and Outsourced like this.
  13. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Hey man, admins are the unsung heroes that do the dirty work behind the scenes. Your job isn't easy, you deal with the crap, and you have to play the what-if game. If things go well, you're the hero. If things go wrong, you're the villain. No where in my comments did I ever say you're not doing your job. You are doing your job and I appreciate you for doing what you can do. Do you own the boards? No. You work with what you get to work with from ownership and higher management and you do the best you can. I'm in management myself (at work) and there's only so much I can do if the resources aren't there to support the objective. So, trust me, I understand your hands are tied on certain things. :)

I remember----in vague detail---the IGN move's details. I forgot they shuttered their boards completely and I do remember (now, after a refresher) that we were lucky to receive the data.

See, that's where my technical knowledge ends and yours begins with the back-ups. I went off of what I was told about the back-ups, not what I actually knew about these technical systems. So that helps to clarify your other statement (quoted below).

If its the boards in general, is there a chance for us to move to a more stable platform then XenForo? Or is that a ownership decision out of everyone's (admins) hands?

You don't trust them? Yet you use their message board system? Isn't that paradoxical?

I didn't do anything. I said constructive criticism (implying non-confrontational and instead suggesting a positive exchange) which you later clarified was speculation back in the IGN days (which I didn't honestly know, since not everyone was in on the "in" of what was going on in those days). Not my fault people didn't read your and mine statements before firing off like keyboard warriors. ;)

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Checked the server error logs - only messages are related to Elasticsearch and are ones we know about. So far so good..

Bravo likes this.
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I used to be a mod back before the move. It was discussed in ModSquad back then. Not to any great extent, but it was mentioned as a viable solution.

And I didn't accuse you of anything. I was responding to that other dude.

Edit: That is, solution before the move of what to do with the site at the time. There were lots of ideas back then.

16. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012

As was I, even though I quoted you it was more of a push back on her/him bringing up pay forums to begin with. As I said it's not something we've discussed internally other than the case I mentioned.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  17. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I love being the center of attention. :p

Well, look, apparently it (fees) were discussed before "The Move" on some level (between what Barriss_Coffee and Grahame are saying on differentiating degrees of actual implementation). Does it really, really affect anything today? No. So we're all back to square one: I used my original dialogue as constructive criticism (positive communication) to the greater overall conversation.

Clearly, as I've illustrated prior, I was not aware of the seriousness (or not seriousness) of the fees conversation and I've never been a Moderator, Admin, etc. So, like most Members before and during The Move, my source information came from speculation from everyone else like me who was left in the dark and got bits and pieces of information.

Looks like we have an upgrade coming Friday and I think everyone hopes that stabilizes the boards and makes Grahame and other admins jobs easier.

Now, let me fade back to the RPF and come back to Communications in 5 years. :p I seriously think the last time I visited Communications was back in 2012.

[​IMG]