main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    If you haven't read From a Certain Point of View... (putting this in spoilers for people who haven't, but I'm not giving details):

The last story in the From a Certain Point of View book directly mentions the events of the Holiday Special, with the implication it all happened, but that last story also breaks the fourth wall and is sort of a joke, so it's probably not canon. Ackmena, however, appears in at least two stories and is given a role running the nightshift that's in line with what we see in the HS.

2. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Think of it this way: Grand Admiral Thrawn is canon, but the Thrawn Trilogy itself isn't canon. The Rebels writers just took characters they liked from those books and used them in a different way.

Likewise, Chewie's family and Ackmena are canon, but we can probably safely assume that Chewie's son didn't watch a Jefferson Starship music video while waiting for his dad to come home.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    When was the Jedi referred to as an order for the first time?

4. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh man that's a really good question.

5. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    What is 0-0-0 exactly? I tried to use Wookieepedia, but was a bit confused.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Galactic coordinates for Coruscant. SW wikia

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    And the surrounding area

8. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    In Rogue One, on both Jedha and Scarif, the Death Star is fired in single reactor ignition mode, not fully destroying the planet.

That raises the question: How many reactors does the Death Star have for a full insta-destruction of a planet, like with Alderaan (and also what number of reactors were used when targeting the Rebel fleet above Endor? It could be any number, the blast could have a different effect in space, or could be somewhere less than a full reactor, seeing as how limited the damage is in ROTJ.)

9. BookExogorth

May 4, 2017
    [face_laugh] So sorry, not the coordinates, the droid. I was thinking Triple Zero when I was writing. I also tried to find the thread for the comic in which he appeared, but to no avail.

10. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Wait you want the background for Triple Zero or the thread for Vader? He is in Aphra right now so that thread would be better though we can just answer any question about the character himself

11. BookExogorth

May 4, 2017

The character. I was just adding something else I tried. Sorry, I guess I'm not being specific enough.

12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    There are two articles on Triple-Zero on Wookieepedia, 0-0-0 and Triple-Zero protocol personality matrix.

vncredleader likes this.
  13. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    So you want the background for what he is? There was this triple zero matrix that was made centuries before the Empire. It was super advanced and evil, Aphra wants it to put into a droid which she does to her modded translator unit
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Triple-Zero_protocol_personality_matrix

BookExogorth likes this.
  14. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Did Borsk first appear in TTT and was backported to WEG, or vice versa?

15. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Heir was his first appearance.

16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I just looked for the TLJ novelization on Amazon and it seems its not out til March , I wonder why such a delay - ?

17. BoulderFaceplant

BoulderFaceplant Jedi Knight

Dec 20, 2017
    Hi everyone. I refrained from delving into the EU because I knew Disney would be changing things around. However, it’s become abundantly apparent that I hate what they’ve done with Star Wars. They’ve defanged it, neutered it, and destroyed its characters and universe. I want nothing to do with their interpretation outside of Rogue One, and I’m very willing to relinquish that for EU (or “Legends,” ugh) material.

I’d like to start with a comic series. Is there any in particular you’d recommend starting with? Also interested in cross-section books and encyclopedic materials.

18. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Depends on the era you're interested in, but some classics are Tales of the Jedi, Republic, Dark Times, Rogue Squadron, Dark Empire, Legacy

Fallen Jedi Master and spicer like this.
  19. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Those are excellent suggestions. I'd also add KOTOR by John Jackson Miller to the list.

20. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Do you guys reccomend the Rogue One adaptation? Does it add a lot or nah?

21. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I really enjoyed it and think it would be worth a read. Since it is a novelization, I'd say prioritize the other novels the interest you. However, the Rogue One novel is well written, adds depth to characters, and adds interesting information to the plot. I had a lot of fun reading it.

Gamma626 likes this.
  22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I liked it but you might want to read Catalyst first if you haven't already. It's a prequel.

Gamma626, lordpixie and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's up there with being one of the best novelisations, but follow Laj's advice and read Catalyst too.

Gamma626 likes this.
  24. DarthMalgus21

DarthMalgus21 Jedi Padawan

Mar 27, 2015
    Hello fellow Jedi, Sith and all Creatures of the the galaxy--> Sooo, I need some help. I'm looking at a literature re-boot...How awful or (hopefully) good, does a cold turkey NJO start sound...I'll preface with my background is as a prequel guy...Ready GO!---> :)

25. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I could use some help, too. I have trouble with whether there is a "year zero" or not and I regularly screw up my characters' ages. Can anybody clear this up for me AND is there a calculator that could switch from one to other format for ages, not years themselves? Thanks in advance. :)

And yeah, I can crack literally every single language, do programming and whatnot, yet I have trouble with this. [face_rofl]