main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub "It should be in an armory" - The Official Doctor Aphra fanclub

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Darth_Voider, Oct 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I've only read one Aphra comic - Screaming Citadel - but I really like her. She VERY strongly resembles - both in personality and physical appearance - my favorite tabletop roleplaying OC I created way back in college :) I'd love to see a character like Aphra in a SW movie!

Darth_Voider likes this.
  2. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Aphra is now in the 501st.
    BTW, can someone tell me how to embed Twitter tweets properly?

https://twitter.com/chaosbria/status/878749040845914112

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Hi there. Thanks for directing me to this thread! Just to continue what I was talking about in the Hera thread, I'm really debating about buying the first two Vader Graphic Novels where Dr. Aphra is introduced and then continue with her spinoff stories. I read her introduction once through in the first Vader novel that I borrowed from my local library. I wonder if there's any plans on having her as a future DLC villain in the Battlefront 2 game.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    I can give you an overview about all the comics Aphra has appeared in, sorted by Arcs.

Darth Vader: Vader - First arc in the Darth Vader comic line and Aphra's introduction.

Darth Vader: Shadows and Secrets - Second arc of Darth Vader, Aphra is much more present here than in the first arc.

Vader Down - This is a crossover between Darth Vader and the main Star Wars comic line. First gime that Aphra meets our OT Big 3 heroes.

Star Wars: Rebel Jail: This is an arc in the main Star Wars comic line that immediately follows Vader Down. Aphra stars alongside Leia here.

Darth Vader: The Shu-Torun War: Also follows immediately after Vader Down. Aphra does not apöear in person here, but IMO it is required reading for the next arc in the Vader line which is.....

Darth Vader: End of Games: The last arc of the Vader line. Aphra reappears here and you'll get the resolution of her working relationship with Darth Vader.

Doctor Aphra: Aphra: This is the first arc in Aphra's own comic series which takes place after the end of the Vader series (with the exception of a few flashbacks in Aphras past). You'll also get to know her father here.

The Screaming Citadel - Another crossover, this time between the Aphra series and the main Star Wars line. Luke teams up with Aphra after she makes him an offer he cannot refuse....

Doctor Aphra: The Enormous Profit: Aphra tries to sell an ancient artifact at an auction, but then things do not go as well as planned....

Doctor Aphra: Remastered - This is the current arc of Dr. Aphra and in which Hera will ultimately appear.

revan772 and Ewok Poet like this.
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I really need to know which Vader comics (preferably the Graphic novels by volume) you'd recommend that includes Dr. Aphra, before I just go about jumping in to her spinoff series. I was thinking about downloading the Vader comics/novels on Kindle and then I'd buy the physical novel for Aphra.

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Wait...there is a novel? :eek:

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Whatever you just posted, I don't see it. :(

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    How about this?

10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I see that, thanks. But when Ahsoka's Tano said a "novel", I thought it would be, like, a book. I'm too hopeful. :p

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, we do get one short story starring her, in the From A Certain Point of View anthology novel.

Jedi Knight Fett and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    She has a substantial role in practically every arc of the Vader comics (except for The Shu-Torun-War where she does not appear in person) plus the Rebel Jail arc from the main Star Wars line.

I would say that you should read them all since her arc develops over the course of the whole Vader line.

She starts to work for our beloved Sith Lord in the first Vader arc (and her companions, the murderbots Triple-Zero and BT-1 and the Wookie bounty hunter Black Krrsantan are introduced here as well). While she only has a supporting role in that arc, her role gets much expanded in the Shadows and Secrets arc where she goes on Solo missions at the request of Vader. She then has several run-ins with our OT heroes in the Vader Down crossover where she is ultimately captured by the Rebels. This is the basis for the subsequent Rebel Jail arc from the main Star Wars line, where she is sentenced to prison, but when an mysterious intruder threatens the life of all prisoners, Leia and Aphra have to work together.
    She is able to flee and then reappears in a pivotal role in the End of Games arc which concludes the Vader series.

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    But isn't there a point where she breaks off into her own spinoff? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the Vader comics are continuing without her.

14. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    No, the initial Vader comic line finished with the End of Games arc. Aphra's own comic line started after the previous Vader series finished.

But meanwhile, another brand new Vader line has started - but this one takes place right after ROTS and has no direct ties with the previous Vader series (except for taking place in the same universe of course).

15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I need to get that. Thanks. :)

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Most of the stories in that seem to have received a fairly good reception in the Lit review thread.

Jedi Knight Fett and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So Vader Vol. 1, Shadows and Secrets, Vader Down, The Shu-Torun War, and End of Games all contain Dr. Aphra stories?

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    It's just that so.many things are popping up so.fast that I can't even get to follow them all. That's where the website of that dude who hated everybody would've been useful.

19. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    All of them are Aphra stories except for The Shu-Torun-War. Aphra does not appear in person here. The reason for this is because Aphra

was captured by the Rebel Alliance at the end of the Vader Down crossover. The only reference to Aphra in the Shu-Torun arc is Vader summoning a few bounty hunters to search for Aphra, and it's made clear in that arc that she has fallen out of his favour.

Aphra's brief time in Rebel prison can be read in the Rebel Jail arc from the main Star Wars line, which is set at around the same time as the Shu-Torun arc from the Vader line. Aphra escapes the Rebels at the end of Rebel Jail, and then re-enters the Vader line in End of Games, which is a direct continuation of the Shu-Torun arc.

So yes, while Aphra does not appear in the Shu-Torun arc herself, it's better to still read it, because the subsequent End of Games arc concludes certain plot threads set up in The Shu-Torun-War.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Maybe I'll purchase the digital versions of all Vader novels then the physical version of Aphra.

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm in the process of reading the first main Dr. Aphra novel after having read the previous Vader ones involving her. I could be way off, but it seems like the artwork in her standalone spinoff novel seems somewhat poorer quality than how they were in the Vader comics. I know at least one of the artists stayed on for the spinoff.

22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Sorry for triple post (hey it's been well over 24 hours) but I just wanted to say that series of events where Vader forces Aphra out of the airlock was among the most heartbreaking scenes I've come across in comics. I know she had it all planned as an escape; but those scenes where she's desperately pleading for the death by his saber just tug at the heart strings. :(

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Voider like this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Sign me up!

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, Vader airlock-ing her was brutal. But Vader didn't want to even waste the lightsaber on her and a wee, small part of him may have been thinking "if you are strong, you will survive." And she did!

But, yeah, aside from that one of my favourite lines of her was "Leave the nice old Emperor alone!"

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I think the reason he forced her out of the airlock stems from her plea with him in the first comic; where she says if it ever came down to him having to kill her, to use the lightsaber for a quick ending; she pretty much suggests that she has a fear of being trapped outside in the void of space. She played him in that regard; even though in the scene afterwards with Triple-Zero she says that she knew Vader wasn't going to be "kind" enough to kill her with the saber.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.